Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203680 11/19/1999 12:04 PM
I run a small trade association. I'm more than able to understand technology and use electronic media but I am not a technical-focused person. Although my members sell highly technical products, they are not electronically oriented either. The wwwthreads software provides us an opportunity to host electronic committees and for that we are enthusiastic.

However, perhaps it is the installer of the software who failed but I have so little information to give my members who are trying to grasp this message board technology.

Stuff like the following is confusing to me and to my members--we are making a lot of mistakes (please get up from the floor after you stop laughing):

What is an ICQ#?
What does "NA" mean on a post? Why do I get (NA) in postings and why don't these get included in the daily archives?
How can I insure that my participants don't "reply" to a comment but make a posting so that the comments are public?
Is there a document that I could obtain and distribute to give participants a primer on how to use the technology and what everything means?
The software is friendly enough to use but there are no explainations. I am afraid that folks will turn away from helping the organization because they do not know how to use the technology and don't like being embarrassed.

Cynthia A. Esher
MCAA

Sponsored Links
ICQ is a internet buddy list program. Check out http://www.icq.com for more information.

-Ken Torbeck [:blue]WWW.INFOSITE.[:red]ORG Special Needs & disAbilities Info. Center

-Ken Torbeck [blue]www.INFOSITE.[/blue][red]ORG[/red] Special Needs & disAbilities Info. Center
Guru
Guru
Documentation is fairly weak right now. Hopefully, that will get better soon.

(NA) Means that you are viewing a post on a fully moderated board that has not been approved by an administrator. When you see this, you need to click the "Edit this post" button, and either approve it or delete it. If you approve it, then everyone will be able to see the post. If you don't want to go through the post approval process, then you can go into the admin section, and edit your forums and turn the "Use real moderation" feature off. When this is off, posts are viewable by everyone as soon as a user posts them.

---
Scream
http://www.wcsoft.net

UBB.threads Developer
Sally #203683 11/22/1999 2:26 PM
That reminds me, Scream. Did you get anyone lined up to do the documentation yet? If not, drop me a note. I'd be happy to spend a couple days compiling a set of helpful docs. At the very least it could be used as a template for a more thorough manual.

Regards,

Strategist

Guru
Guru
Once I release the stable version of 4.4, today or tommorow, I'll decide on the documentation. I have had quite a few offers, and I'm just finishing up looking at some samples.

---
Scream
http://www.wcsoft.net

UBB.threads Developer
Sponsored Links
Sally #203685 11/23/1999 9:16 AM
Okay great! Thanks, Scream.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63