Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
yes... the category links still a problem so I havent been able to fully test stuff. But the add link page no longer so wide.

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
http://dragboatalley.com/cgi-bin/links.cgi?/action/cat/id/7

you'll need to add a ? after .cgi to imitate compatibility mode

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Compat mode on IIS has me stumped right now. smirk

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Journeyman
Journeyman
Outstanding Mod!

Has anyone noticed that sometimes the link count is incorrect?

In one category where I have one link - the count is zero.

In another where I have two links the count is one.

d.

Originally posted by Ian Spence:

http://dragboatalley.com/cgi-bin/links.cgi?/action/cat/id/7

you'll need to add a ? after .cgi to imitate compatibility mode
Thanks Ian! that fixed it!!

In links.cgi Find:
Code
<td bgcolor="$vars_style{AltColumnColor1}"><b><a href="$vars_config{CGIURL}/links.cgi?/action/cat/id/$linearray[0]">$linearray[1]</a>
and insert ? after links.cgi as shown to fix problem on category links on index page... looks to be needed as well on category page for link pages.

Sponsored Links
or better yet... Find several occurences in links.cgi of links.cgi/action and replace all with links.cgi?/action

and that fixes everything I believe smile

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
For IIS, I think that breaks the SE-Friendliness of the mod tho smirk

Thanks driv, yeah, there's some buglets with the counting, it can get off and there's no mechanism to correct it.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Allen, different buglet... On Category pages the "Added by" links to user profile page dont work and gets rendered like this on my site:

http://dragboatalley.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/profile/.html

Plus, i dont think the light bulbs are working on the index page (they didnt seem to turn "on" once I added some links)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
k, will check that smile

links.cgi file updated with fix for IIS and SEF compatibility, thanks to Ian smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hi Allen, thanks for all these fixes! Hope I'm not driving you crazy wink

Here's my v1.8.8 on IIS testing feedback:
  • IIS compatibility in general - good!
  • Friendly URL fixes - links.cgi urls all work well except in two places: 1st from Admin page, the links on Category name look to have xtra ? after links.cgi and dont go anwywhere... http://dragboatalley.com/cgi-bin/links.cgi??action=admincat;id=1

2nd place is on "Add a Link" link (regular links index page -> click on cat), and it's got similar double ?'s: http://dragboatalley.com/cgi-bin/links.cgi??action=add;cat=6
  • Add new category, and after so many cats it's starts to double up entries. This weirdness still exists, and it seems to be that once it hits id=7 (and creates a db7.cgi file), any cats added after that dont actually trigger a new id... it's stuck on id=7 and merges data for original id=7 cat with the newly created cat.
  • i didnt retest the issue with delete a cat and it removes two cats... I think this actually side-effect of above issue (it's removing multiple cats that all have same id=7)
  • and last two bugs still apply of course: bulbs not "on" on index (but oddly enough they are when i take a printscreen screenshot), and "Added by" profile links busted.

plus I have one small question errr... suggestion :rolleyes: In sub ShowCat, how hard would it be to replace this line:
Code
@datafile = reverse @datafile;
With a @datafile = sort... and sort the list of links for category by the number of hits instead of flipping it over to list newest on top?

thanks again for all your work!!!

Sponsored Links
P.S.
temporarily reverting back to v1.8.6 since we got some broken links in this latest one... my advertisers will all be looking at my links page later today/tonight and i dont want them to hit a bad link when navigating around.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
v1.8.9 - text color and double ?? bugs fixed smile

To upgrade, upload links.cgi.

Sorting links in the category by number of hits will guarantee the ones with more hits will get more hits and the new ones won't be found unless you scroll forever tipsy Topten sorts by hits may be a better choice wink

I see what you mean with the cats corrupting after 6 - have no idea how or why that would happen... smash

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
ok cool - nebbermind on the sorting, your right - better as is. Also I'm plenty happy with 6 cats for time being. Alternative suggestion; how about wordletizing "Forum Home" link on the confirmation page given post Add Link form?

off to test...

v1.8.9 buglets:

- busted link when you drill down to link detail page, the "Category" link on breadcrumb trail now shy a ? mark: http://dragboatalley.com/cgi-bin/links.cgi/action/cat/id/1

plus the dead bulbs on main index page and busted Added By profile links from before. other stuff reported as fixed in this one checks out fine.

thanks again Allen - this is great mod!!! I'm lovin it, and methinks it feels nearly ready for prime time thumbsup

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
k, I think the category and profile links should be fixed by now smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
one more profile buglet fixed smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
scratch the previous wordlet comment... I did find the "Forum Home" link available for changing in CP on vars_wordlets_links list.

Other possible wordlet nuances:

- Find
Code
$indexurl = "<a href="$vars_config{CGIURL}/links.cgi">Index</a>";
Shouldnt 'Index' label inside that anchor tag be
Code
 $vars_wordlets_links{links_index} 
?

- Also looks like we're missing a
Code
 $vars_wordlets_links{links_index_intro} 
near the beginning of sub ShowMain?

off to get v1.9.1...

ok in v1.9.1, the "Category" link in bread crumb is fixed

But profile links still goofy... they go somewhere now, a funky profile page. Doesnt seem to be looking up the member number correctly
Click to see here

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It's possible that bug you're seeing is related to the login name and public name being different. I think the prog is still saving the login name and the it's trying to find the public name or something tipsy

It works on my test forum on IIS and here on linux or something. Do you see the same bugs on old as well as new links?

http://66.25.230.104/ubbcgi/links.cgi

and
https://www.ubbdev.com/db/cgi/links.cgi

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
ahhh, your right... the Added by links work fine for profiles where the public name and login name are the same. When its different you get the funky profile page like shown in my screenshot. And this happens consistenly on both old and new links.

And it's definitely saving Public Name in db files, so must be trying to lookup login name.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
thanks... that shouldn't be too difficult to fix, so I'll try to get it done soon smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Originally posted by AllenAyres:

thanks... that shouldn't be too difficult to fix, so I'll try to get it done soon smile

*raised hand*

Why not just store the number instead of looking for it every page view? You could also use the pdn index to look up the usernames, and then you've got no.. err.. less problems

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
So, store both the pubname and number?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
smile sure

Edit: and that's what I post for post #2500

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
smile

Works well, but kills the links added for old links.

hmm.. I am storing the pubname and usernumber, but how do I "use the pdn index to look up the usernames"?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
if you're storing both, there's no need for the pdn index.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ok smile

I need to store the cat number too, to fix the new bug just created in the topten page smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
07/28/2004 - (v1.9.3) Added the catnumber and usernumber to the link data stored.

This should repair the profile links, speed up general browsing a bit, and make it a bit more flexible for future data storage. Thanks to Ian for suggesting storing the usernumber.

Caveat, will break profile links in old links and in the topten. You can fix this manually by adding the usernumber and catnumber in each line of the db$cat.cgi file.

Code
$DataLine = "$id&#0124;&#0124;$sitetitle&#0124;&#0124;$siteurl&#0124;&#0124;$desc&#0124;&#0124;$pubname&#0124;&#0124;$time&#0124;&#0124;0&#0124;&#0124;$user_number&#0124;&#0124;$cat";

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
will topten.cgi need fixed?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yes smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
ish... stupid me loaded up 50 links already between rounds of testing frown and fixing topten.cgi is the pesty one, because I dont readily know cat id. Howza about I just wipe the entries in topten out, will it repopulate itself ok over time if I just upload a blank one?

v1.9.3 tested and the profile links work great now, thanks Allen!!! Light bulbs fixed next maybe? smile

And another pesty question... Listing links in reverse order is still a concern for my site *sigh* the advertisers wanted to be able to have 'featured links' that always show up at the top of the list (like featured topics in a forum so that their link is always listed first). But some other moderators and key members convinced them otherwise with argument that once you have more than a dozen links in a category its hard to find something your looking for - they want alphabetical order by title. ( example long cat )

And there's concern that since the nature of folks in our community (drag racers) is very competitive/aggressive to begin with, chances are if we keep reverse order - people will add their link more than once just to put it at the top of a long list.

So it looks like I can better keep everybody happy if I could tweak this script to sort links by title in sub ShowCat. How hard would that be?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Alpha by Title may be something do-able, but then you'll have people with AAAwebsitename.com and 111websitename.com if they want a high link tipsy

Something to prevent duplicate links should be on the list too, to prevent spammers from adding their site in each category or more than once anywhere.

A 'featured' site may be useful too, but bugfixes are in order right now and I'm guessing the lightbulbs should be looked at next. Any others pressing?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Since I can edit links easily I'm not too worried about poking at the occaisional title thats put in kinda funny to get top listing.

And I agree - Preventing dup links and Featured Links are great ideas for later on! Although with the dup links, I already got two links in my index that squarely fit in two categories and its a situation I can see happening often with these two cats... so I wouldnt necessary want to block dups that are in a different category. Plus too, big directory sites often let you pick multiple cats when posting a link.

But screening dups in the same category would be very helpful. And I can see 2 or 3 people from the same race team on my site all attempting to post their boat's link and not scanning a big long list first to see it's already in there. But with hall monitors assigned to each category who will keep a daily eye on their list, I can easily wait on this a good while.

So no, I see nothing else pressing other than light bulbs and Alpha sort by Title. Great job Allen and thanks again for all your hard work on this script! thumbsup Swapping links is a big thing in my community, so I have no doubt this mod will be a very popular feature on my site once I take it live!

sorry Allen I shoulda knocked wood, I think I might found one more buglet frown

I had a Moderator test to make sure they could edit/delete a link and when trying to save changes from a Edit they got "An error has occurred: You must be a moderator or the person who added this link, to edit the record"

The link they tested with just happened to be Added By my account (Admin). So unless you got this setup slick enough that a Moderator cant Edit on an Admin's link - I think we may have a bug. Let me know if you want me test again with a different non-admin link.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You might try another link added by a non-moderator/admin, I don't think a moderator can edit a link by another mod or admin smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Did it work? tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
sorry it took me awhile to get back to this.

nope - didnt work. moderator's cant edit any links, including their own. Also can't delete regular member links, they get the message "You must be a Forum Leader or Moderator..."

So only my Admin acct is able to edit/delete links frown

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Probably related to them not being the moderator of the links forum tipsy

OK, I'll need to look at their profile and see if there's a simple solution to it.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Originally posted by AllenAyres:

OK, I'll need to look at their profile and see if there's a simple solution to it.
note my test moderator account is setup as a mod on only one forum (all other real mods are mods on all/most forums). let me know if you need login access for that account or anything else, and thanks!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63