Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
CTM
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
My most imaginative topic title to date tipsy

Is it just me, or have the size of the work units, er, doubled? It's taken me around 12 hours to return a unit that usually takes about six...

If they have become bigger, this is potentially a bad thing for the people with slower computers or dinosaurs with 56K connections (I didn't mean that frown ) because they either (a) won't return a result for days on end, or (b) will take forever to upload the unit, meaning less points in return for that unit... Which is bad for all. frown

Sponsored Links
They have. My rating is a 116 and have a cable connection and it still takes me like twice as long to finish one up.

It also takes up twice as much memory usage. They say you won't even notice it running. I do.

.. i do.

12 hours is long for you? I have one at nearly 30 hours right now 92% complete.

they are taking a lot more time to complete, my other comp is overall rated at 52, its at 87% at 134 hours heh
this comp usually goes at 5 hours for one, but its been taking 9-10 hours.

Recently there have been fewer ligands per WU, but it takes longer. These typically take 70-odd hours on my main system - a PII 400. I've also dreaded returning results since ligandfit started since it hogs all my bandwidth and I can't do much.

Sponsored Links
Just passing through whilst keeping up with what's happening with UBB. laugh

Yes, the processing times have increased with this version of LigandFit (released Nov 19) because the researchers have requested more data out of it smile

But Dave, you should notice less of a hit on your connection, the new results files are only about 30% the size of the previous ones at most.

Yeah, I have noticed that recently... thought it was just my imagination or something laugh .

Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
This would certainly explain why my PC is seeming rather sluggish at the moment..

It's taking around 3 times longer than the usual time it takes to complete a task. It used to take around 8 hours, now it's more like 30. On top of this, I haven't really noticed the agent giving me the amount of points expected for the increased work load.. I used to get around 150 per result, now I get about 215..

Why have the researchers requested more data out of it..? They're not recieving the data as quick, and the whole idea of the project is supposed to be voluntary and not effecting the speed of the volunteer's computer..

On a side note, due to the increased work load and sluggish connections a few of my friends are experiencing, they have deleted the agent.. I can't really see the gain in this for the researchers as I'm sure more will follow.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
My old home pc has been taking ~200 hours each of the last 3-4 it's crunched tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
I have now removed the agent due to REALLY slow connection speeds on a 1MB cable service.. Yes this was the agent because as soon as it was removed and I restarted my machine, it's running so much faster..

Let me know if the nice researchers over at LigandFit decide to be reasonable again. I'll continue to run the sub-team, not that I know how many of us there will be left at this rate..

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
Whoops.. Pressed quote instead of edit.. shocked

Hmmm, it really shouldn't be making the computer more sluggish. I'd personally found that this new version caused less problems than the old one.

As for the whys, its because we've moved into Phase 2 of the project and then want to perform as much refinement work on the computer as possible on the promising molecules identified previously before the move into the lab work.

If you wanted to try and find a cause for what you are seeing, you might like to drop in on the forums and ask over there because I'm only an infrequent visitor here.

Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
Thanks for the reply Graham, I'll ask around on the forums.

Veteran
Veteran
I have definately noticed a huge difference in the length of time it takes to finish a WU. But for all that, I don't notice any difference at all in the performance of my machines. they still run exactly the same as they always did where UD just backgrounds itself if I am actually doing something on the computer (such as typing this message).

I look at it like this: My machine is going to be crunching work units 24/7. What do I care if it takes 4 hours to crunch a work unit or 8? Am I keeping score? To a degree, yes, but if I'm taking 8 to do a unit I'm betting most other people are taking 12. tipsy

Picture perfect penmanship here.
12? My current one is 72 wink

Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
It hasn't effected the speed of my p2 233Mhz at all.. However, the decrease of performance on my p4 1.6Ghz was horrible.. frown

Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
*sigh* I've just re-installed the agent..
Someone close to the family died of cancer last night, a sluggish computer is a small price to pay if it helps.. frown

Deb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and the family. frown

- Deb
CTM
Moderator / Da Masta
Moderator / Da Masta
I'm also sorry to hear that, OB. My thoughts are with you and your family. frown

Sorry to hear that too. frown

Spotlight Runner-Up
Spotlight Runner-Up
Thankyou.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63