Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Power User
Power User
So in the saga of trying to figure out how to pay for my site I think I've decided to try out user donations. While we have a ton of traffic on our site and I'm pretty sure we would be able to get advertisers I've come to a couple conclusions about that.

First is that in general people hate advertising. Second is that for the time involved in finding and working with advertisers, and I'm not talking about going through a banner company I mean contacting companies that might be interested in advertising/sponsering, that it would have to generate a significant amount of money to make it worth our while.

There was a conversation on my site about this and it seemed people are willing to contribute. Unlike some sites a great number of our users interact with each other offiline, going as far as weekly pub club function with 50 people, so we have a close knit group. One of the best suggestions was finding a way to recognize the people who donate money. While we could use the avatar feature to do this it would be nice to let people have their own avatar as well as a donor avatar. Addionally it would be cool to put donors in bold letters or in a different color on who's online, similar to the who's online hack were mods and admins were italicized.

Has anyone else done something like this and are there hacks available. I'd image the hardest thing to do would be creating a way to check off which users who donated and have who's online query against that list.

Sponsored Links
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Good idea! Go to cp_users.cgi, then find:
code:
Code
		# we have all forums with restrictions now

Add above:
code:
[qb]
Code
		$forum_names{d} = "Donor";
}
[/qb]
Then when you go to CP, View/Edit Member Profiles, type his login name/member # and check "Donor" (bottom of the page).

Then what you should do in every page is to check:
Code
my ($j, $perms) = split(/&/, $user_profile[4]);
@explicit = split (/,/, $perms);
foreach (@explicit) {
chomp($_);
if ($_ eq 'd') {
# do what you want;
}
}
For example, PNTF status effect hack changed the look of admins/mods. If you want to do it for regular users, just instead of [8] everywhere add [4], and right after add what I told you to, but instead of $user_profile[4] use $status. In "# do what you want;" part, take the parts of the hack that use ..., and replace with , etc.

I can't tell you how to do it specifically for this hack, cause the download link doesn't work anymore...

Anyhow, also in public_topic_page.pl, in the avatar thing, you copy the check code from above and use it. (make sure it's not in the HTML part but in the scripting part)

I hope you know what I mean smile

Power User
Power User
Thanks for the response LK!

I found the hack on the second page of the link you referenced for PTNF.

I sort of understand what you mean. Where is the code in the third box coming from and what do you mean by every page?

Thanks.

LK-
The d'load link is back up, can you shed some more light on this, i'm a confuzed n00b

thanks
gaper

Power User
Power User
Could someone please help me? Seriously I'm not that retarded!!! help help

Here is the link to the PNTF hack http://www.animeinferno.com/ubb/hacks/statuspntf.txt

I understand how that works. I just don't understand the origin of the third code box and what I'm supposed to do with it, am I inserting this in public_pntf_summary.pl where I would normally be inserting the hack? When you say $status do you really mean $user_status?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63