Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I know there has been a lot of talk and holler for an easier way to set default profile permissions into particular forums for large groups of people. UBBThreads does this, but UBBClassic has a different architecture which makes doing this largely impractical/impossible.

However, UBBClassic does allow Administrators to set individual profile permissions in the CP framework.

My question, is it possible that whenever a player is prompted to enter a Forum Password for entrance, upon entering the correct password, that person's profile permissions will be automatically set (as if the Admin had done it manually)? This would come as a windfall for UBB owners that have to painstakingly adjust profile permissions one-by-one for scores (hundreds) of members and/or forums and is *perhaps* a relatively easy workaround???

Of course, anyone knowing the Forum Password will be able to gain entrance, but that's the same as it is now, and it doesn't make sense to have to enter the Forum Password every login session. Furthermore, if a forum to be restricted to certain Usernames, then a Forum Password will not be used anyways and the CP can still do adjust permissions the old-fashioned way.

Sponsored Links
^BUMP^

Idle (or anyone)? can you help out a lost UBB soul again? laugh

Woah, I just got up...

Let me see, said John the blind.
I'll have a look in a couple of minutes, or as soon as I've finished the 2 cups of coffee required to open they eyes. tipsy

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Quick and dirty.

ubb_forum.cgi - find
Code
[/code]Underneath, insert:
Code
</pre></div></div>In ubb_lib.cgi, near the bottom, before "package UBB::CommonElements", insert:[code]
This is quick, dirty, and totally untested. YMMV.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Hey, thanks for the fast response, but "quick, dirty, and totally untested?"...when you state it like that it makes me afraid to try it! Would you wager this be reasonably safe? smile

Also, what little snippet of code do I add if I want just ONE profile NOT to be permanently modified when the Forum Password is entered; ie, if the user logs in with Username "Unknown" (and only that one), then entering the Forum Password just allows posting for that browser session as normat.

Sponsored Links
^bump^

What code do I add to NOT run the automatic profile permission change if the Username = "test"?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Ah, took the plunge then? wink

The call to AddForumPermission just needs to be changed:
[code][/code]

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Just tried it and it didn't work; I was granted session privilege to post to the Forum after entering the Forum Password, but profile permissions were not altered for future postings. Any ideas?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63