Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I'm using 6.7.2 these days, and looking to rearrange page headings abit. I want to move the stuff that normally sits above hello user / breadcrumb box (Active Topics link on summary, Jump-to-new and Next/Previous on topics, etc), and have that all show up below hello user / breadcrumb box. Then stick my own bit of html in above breadcrumb box.

so in public_common.pl, i found this bit that seems relevant...

Code

my $before_navbar = $args{before_navbar} ? qq~
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="$vars_style{TableWidth}" align="center">
<tr><td align="left" valign="bottom">$vars_style{FontTag}$args{before_navbar}</font></td></tr></table>~ : "";

my $after_navbar = $args{after_navbar} ? qq~
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="$vars_style{TableWidth}" align="center">
<tr><td align="left" valign="top">$vars_style{FontTag}$args{after_navbar}</font></td></tr></table>~ : "";
is this the right place for me to be looking at? and if so, how would be the best way to combine before_navbar and after_navbar stuff together? TIA!

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
It's kinda sad... when I wrote the new wrapper code in public_common, it was with this exact kind of thing in mind. It's been so long since I've actaully had to open public_common to do anything that I've forgotten everything about it...

You are indeed looking for before_navbar and after_navbar, however these are also reused for things like occasional pagination, and expect to be pre-wrapped in table cells. This might not flow well with your intended layout.

You'd be best off actually altering the HTML below to rearrange the actual output as you see fit, then going back to the little pieces after you have your basic layout and altering them accordingly.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
thanks for the response charles!

Originally posted by Charles Capps:

You'd be best off actually altering the HTML below to rearrange the actual output as you see fit,
so where i see this bit...
Code

$before_navbar
$TBT
<tr bgcolor="$vars_style{AltColumnColor1}">
<td valign="top" align="left">
<font size="$vars_style{FDTextSize}" face="$vars_style{FontFace}">
$left_navbar
</font>
</td>
<td valign="top" align="right">
<font size="$vars_style{FDTextSize}" face="$vars_style{FontFace}">
$right_navbar
</font>
</td>
</tr>
$TBB
$after_navbar

~,

# FOOTER
i should be able to move the $before_navbar down like this...
Code
 $TBB
$before_navbar
$after_navbar
and stick the bit of html that i want to appear above user/breadcrumb box in place of where $before_navbar currently is?

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
No -- $before_navbar is where it is now 'cause that IS the navbar right there.

You'd want to move that ENTIRE block up or down, or wherever, in order to make it fit where you want it to fit. (You mentioned moving the navbar above the rest of the navigation.)

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
ish, ok maybe I'm going about this the wrong way by looking at generic_wrapper.

I'm just trying to move the occaisonal link that shows up above the table cells that says "hello user" or login/register on the left and bread crumbs on the right. And stick whatever shows up above there, to show just below those same table cells.

So for example; in public_forum.pl the pagination text and links shows up above the breadcrumb table. I like to show it below.

And public_forum_summary.pl, today's active topics links shows up above registered member count block. I'd likewise prefer to show that link just below those same table cells.

And so on with public_topic_page, except in there i need to move abit more below the breadcrumb table... jump to new posts / blue arrow on the left, and next/prev buttons on the right.

thus i thought from the looks of things i could tweak all this in generic_wrapper with the before/after navbar vars. but sounds like now I need to look abit deeper in each template?

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63