Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#184129 02/09/2005 9:56 PM
mb
OK, still can't get people to register or edit their profile with our hacked board that used to support these mods in 6.5. I've been asked to roll back to 6.5 from 6.7.2.

Anything I should be aware of up front? There are posts that have been created over the last 3 days -- what will happen to them? Will they be OK as long as I don't write over the critical vars files?

Thanks,
Marianne

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Posts are stored in their own directories in the noncgi directory; so they should be fine; I'm not entirely sure of why 6.7.2 woudln't work, most mod's have been ported up from 6.5

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
true, maybe a listing of the mods installed would reveal where the problem might be.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
mb
Thanks Gizzy - It really makes no sense to me that the mods don't work for us in 6.7.2 - but the way that the registration ap is written, I can't see what error is actually being returned, and the customer db guy doesn't have time to look at it to tell me what that application is really seeing.

mb
What we've done is to replace the links for registration and editing profiles with a link to our customer database application. Then, once the customer has selected their user name, public name, password, etc, that info gets stored in our database and posted back to the right place in the ubb script. I can tell you from the error messages that I can see that it works until it has to write the profile. Then it bombs.

We run conferences, and our users wanted to have their ubb names on their badges too -- the easiest way to do that is for us to have it in the customer db.

Anyway, these are definitely non-standard, but I would think someone must've done something like this before!

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm.. that part shouldn't be something new. Can you post an error or 2?

Nevermind, you already said you couldn't tipsy

Writing to the member file shouldn't be any different than that from 6.5, unless maybe the app is overwriting some new profile lines added since 6.5. If the app only writes the basic info then you should be ok.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
mb
That's the problem -- I can't see the errors because the other application masks the responses it gets from the UBB. If I could see the errors, I'm sure I would have figured out what it needed and solved the problem. It's frustrating as heck -- because the whole rollback really seems pointless -- this is probably easy to solve if I could just see an error!

mb
The app only writes basic info -- and the new stuff like the quick reply seems to work just fine with all the older/previous/current profiles, for example.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
So it writes the profile, but they are unusable?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
mb
IT is not writing the profile. Not to edit. Not for something new.

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
I know this sounds silly but...

Make sure the members directory is named exactly the same and is in the same location. Next make sure permissions on the members directory is at 777 (you did not mention if this is a Linux or Windoze install) Then make sure the fils within the directory are at 755. Might even want to try 777.

Seeing as this is a custom app is the author available? Would have been nice if there was some sort of log file written. Could be jsut a short one that over writes itself after X amount of lines.

mb
Yeah, permissions are fine. I did double check although I wouldn't have touched anything there. smile

The developer promised me he would look at the log...3 days ago. There is something, but I don't have access to it.

mb
OK -- we found something. If this is the only thing, it's an easy fix.

Turns out that in 6.5, the submit button on the registration form is named "submit" In 6.7.2, it's named "submit_form" (This is in Templates/public_register_form.pl)

I can certainly hack it back so that the submit button is once again named submit -- but does that ring any other bells with anyone for anything else down the road? smile

Thanks.
Marianne

mb
I am concerned that there is still something else, because when I look at public_edit_profile.pl, I can see that the button is named "submit" in both versions -- and we are not able to edit a profile either. That suggests that there is some factor beyond just the name of the button.

mb
I can confirm that just changing from "submit_button" to "submit" doesn't fix the problem.

Drat. But I suspected that. frown

Coder
Coder
Ok if I am reading this properly your old UBB script was modified to send information to your database.

The new version would have to be modified accordingly as well. The submit button name should have no bearing as stock UBB has no idea that it is supposed to send the information to your database.

If you have already added the code to send the information to your database from the 6.5 version the only thing I can think of is the routine that does this has changed thus the code would be incompatable and need to be re-written.

I would see if someone can get CC to chime in and confirm if the routine has changed between versions.

Your developer should be able to adjust the script to handle the newer routine pretty easily. If not the only people I know here that have DB experience would be Ian or Brett.

Can you post the code that is used to handle the submition. Also make sure you do not post any actual UBB code so you do not violate your ToU.

Veteran
Veteran
Form action correct?

Picture perfect penmanship here.
mb
Yup. Form action is correct.

If I roll it back to 6.5 knowing that the application developer will need to be involved (and I thought from looking at where things posted that it wouldn't be an issue), you don't think I'll end up hung? Otherwise, I certainly have all the files from before I started. There have been another week's worth of posts added to the board in the interim since that is working just fine...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63