Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#183480 04/22/2004 11:25 PM
Content Queen
Content Queen
I tried to access the *general link* in the Display Options in the control panel, and I come up with a white page ...

Any idea of what I should be looking for to troubleshoot and figure out how to get it to show?

Thanks.

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Are you still getting a white page and have you added modifications to the cp? Need the info tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Content Queen
Content Queen
Originally posted by AllenAyres:

Are you still getting a white page and have you added modifications to the cp? Need the info tipsy
Hey Allen~

Sorry I've taken so long to get back ...

I tried to mirror the hacks that I did on my test board that I did with my main site. On my test board, the general tab works; on the main site, it doesn't.

I don't know what I would've messed up, but if someone could point me in the right direction on what to check ...

As far as mods, I've done a lot of the usual suspects -- like megamod, news fader, calendar, modifications, backup UBB ... the graemlin pulldown ...

Those mods are the ones that I've played with that have a connection to the Control Panel ...

To a lesser degree, I've also played with the UBB code, so I guess that has a bit of an impact with the control panel ...

Can't recall what else.

Then again, my brain's been fried the past 3 weeks. tipsy

Sue
adwoff.com
Content Queen
Content Queen
I'm beginning to think that making modifications and me are a crazy/dangerous combination that spells j-i-n-x. tipsy

Not only do I have the white page at the general tab in the control panel, but it seems as if more and more threads at my board are coming up with white pages as well.

In the past, it seemed as if these pages would occur whenever we posted an extremely long piece, but recently, even simple, short posts in new threads are generating white pages.

Without tearing apart all of the hacks and starting over, is there anyway of checking on the cause of these?

---

I also have encountered another problem of sorts--it doesn't bug me too much--except that I hate having anything wrong with my site.

This is happening in threads that I close ... I get an Error on Page notice ...

It reads:

quote:

Line: 159
Char: 1
Error: Object required
Code: 0
URL: http://adwoff.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=000029;p=1
Any idea what to look for, how to fix?

Sue
adwoff.com
Content Queen
Content Queen
*sigh*

I have tried really hard to stay away from hacks that would be a huge drain on CPU usage on my site's server. Namely--stats, hit hack, et al. I don't even run "who's online" because I know it's a drain on the server's CPU.

It seems as if Mondays are a big traffic day at my site, and as a result, I get a lot of white pages and other crap going on that causes my host to shut down my site to conserve CPU.

*sigh*

They believe it's because of the hacks I've installed.

I'll try to list here the hacks I've installed ... if there is a CPU killer, please let me know ... if there is a *bad hack* - please let me know ... if there are hacks that are incompatible, please let me know.

Thanks.

1. Separated the posts on a page (like you see here at UBBDev; each post is its own separate box)
  2. Mod wordlets
  3. Pulldown smilies
  4. Calendar
  5. Calendar anchor (hack to the calendar hack that allows you to go to the bottom of the calendar to see the details of specific dates)
  6. News fader
  7. Advanced UBB code
  8. Advanced IP tracing
  9. To the top (click on icon, takes you to top of thread)
  10. Megamod
  11. Move calendar position to top of forum summary
  12. Back up board
  13. More custom rank fields
  14. Change public name in CP
  15. View password in CP
  16. Quick quote
  17. Actual member totals
  18. Post index
  19. Additional Custom Title Field
  20. CP Mod Add-on
  21. Posts don't count
  22. PM Folders
  23. PM notification
  24. Move mod position (where their names appear)
  25. Spoiler hack
  26. Message icon hack
  27. Added Links add-on last night (it's a stand alone)
  28. Changed mainbutton area

---

I know it's a lot, but many of these are just small changes that I designated as a hack/modification because I changed a little bit of code. In addition, I know that many others have boards even more hacked up than mine, and they aren't experiencing these problems (to my knowledge tipsy ).

How can I test to see if a hack is bad or not compatible with another one?

I really like the hacks I've installed, but if one is killing my site, then I'll back it out.

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
the error message from the post above sounds like it's a javascript error - maybe a conflict with the quickquote and smilies pull-down? You've got several that involve the topics and posting pages.... could be one or 4 of them causing the problem.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Content Queen
Content Queen
Okay, thanks for the feedback, Allen.

I disabled the "quick quote" box for the time being simply because I'm heading into the busy part of my week (i.e. packing 50 hours of work into 4 days tipsy ) ...

When I did this, I am noticing this error message whenever I click on a link:

quote:

Line: 159
Char: 1
Error: Object required
Code: 0
URL: http://adwoff.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000640
---

I was receiving this error before only when I was working within a thread I had closed.

How can I track down this error and fix it? Could it be the *issue* behind my problems (could live be that *easy*?!)?

Thanks.

Sue
adwoff.com
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Disabling the quick quote probably doesn't remove the javascript, just changes it. You probably need to remove that and the other mods that add javascript to the topic until you can find out where the error is.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
The problem is with my icon mod, I'm gonna try to have a fix Friday. It only errors out on closed threads

Content Queen
Content Queen
Originally posted by Ian Spence:

The problem is with my icon mod, I'm gonna try to have a fix Friday. It only errors out on closed threads
Hey Ian, thanks ...

It may error out on closed threads, but I'm also experiencing the error message in open threads ... when I click on -- say the Active Topics link ... I didn't get error message in open threads until I shut down the quick reply box! tipsy

----

As always, I really appreciate all of the advice and help I receive here.

You guys are the best.

Sue
adwoff.com
Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
if you have quick reply disabled, remove any code I had you add to public_topic_page.pl.

I'll post a formal fix soon

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ian, you buggy monkey lol; at least i can post on your forums :glances at brett's site;

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63