Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ok, I'm the dummy, and I'm moving servers.

Going from SGI IRIX Unix with Apache, to FreeBSD 4.8 with Apache. What's the best way to migrate without losing anything?

I basically want it to seem to my members like nothing happened (cept for the board either being down or read-only for a few hours).

So what do I do? Do I just move the files and fire up the CP to change the absolute paths? Or is it more detailed than that?

I'm not necessarily looking for the simplest way, but rather the best way where I don't lose anything or fudge anything up. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
also, all I have is FTP access to both...

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well; your best bet is to take and shut off your board, open a telnet session to your old board and enter your text editor (i use pico on UGN), and insert the info below (taken from a UBBDev article):

Code
#UBB.classic backup

tar -cf backup.cgi.tar.gz /var/www/cgi-bin/ubbcgi
tar -cf backup.noncgi.tar.gz /var/www/html/ubb --exclude=/var/www/html/ubb/cach$
tar -cf backup.members.tar.gz /var/www/Members

#ncftpput -f remotebackup.conf backup backup.cgi.tar.gz backup.noncgi.tar.gz ba$

tar -czf /var/www/backups

rm /var/www/backups/backup.cgi.tar.gz
rm /var/www/backups/backup.noncgi.tar.gz
rm /var/www/backups/backup.members.tar.gz

# done!
Be sure to update your paths of coarse... now, take this new file and upload it to your new location, then use the tar command to untar it to the new location (or you can untar it locally and upload the files if you're feeling sketchy about doing it yourself).

Then what you'll need to do is edit vars_config.cgi and edit your new paths and save the file and upload it.

All you'll need to do now is to chmod your files and re enable your board and poke around to be sure everything is ready for you. Then you'll of coarse need to change your DNS info to the new site location wink ...

or you could just ask me for help lol... I like to take and install the most current version as a clean install and get everything running and drop in my members/post files heh...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
whoa... you totally lost me. frown

try to dumb that down a bit for me please... like I said.. moving servers ...for dummies. wink

I lie not. lol

for example how do I tar and untar? What is tar? Is that like zip or something?

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
I can't explain why I am asking this but how soon must you move servers?

probably next monday. maybe tuesday... I suppose I could wait until December 15 or so at worst.

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Darn, thats probably too soon for what I was thinking.

Have you seen and read the UBB.classic Backup and/or Transfer Guide ?

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
My guide shows how to tar the document! but yeh as you said it's a little advanced for you mark :x... And i'm only saying that cas i know you :x... your best bet is paying someone to do it, starting fresh, or reading the backup guide...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
quote:
Originally posted by usr bin geek:
Darn, thats probably too soon for what I was thinking.

Have you seen and read the UBB.classic Backup and/or Transfer Guide ?

no.. thanks... I didn't know about that.

quote:
[qb]Originally posted by Gizzy:
My guide shows how to tar the document! but yeh as you said it's a little advanced for you mark :x... And i'm only saying that cas i know you :x... your best bet is paying someone to do it, starting fresh, or reading the backup guide...[/qb]
yeah, I was more asking just what tar was. Also while I may not know how to do this now, that's all the more reason for me to do it. Why pay someone else to do it? I wouldn't learn anything from that and would only lighten my wallet. Doing it myself and learning from the experience would enrich my skills and ultimately be more rewarding. Unlike some people, I don't just chicken out. smile

I'm actually not as bad with this stuff as I make it out to seem. I just haven't done this before and need some guidance.

That guide Steve mentioned should help though. Thanks guys. We'll see how this goes.

I don't want to install fresh because A) that might introduce some minor problems ... and B) like I said I want this to be absolutely seamless.

Sponsored Links
translation: I'm a cheap ******* . wink

i can't say b-astard?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
There are other ways to move the boards, you can simply open your FTP and grab the files/folders. Then you upload them to the new server making sure that you use ascii/binary properly (you FTP client help files will explain). Change the paths in vars_config.cgi and chmod all the files/folders. I've moved many a board this way.

It's definitley simpler to pay someone to do it but your boards are new and unhacked so it should be VERY easy to move.

I like RandyM's last post there, seems simple enough. I'm planning a server move, and the server I'm moving from doesn't have telnet/SSH access (reason enough for a move in my book!) and so I'm going the FTP route.

So, to recap-- grab the files via FTP, being sure to maintain the original directory structure. Images can be downloaded in Binary/Auto, everything else should be downloaded in ASCII.

Now, I upload the files to the new server in an identical directory structure, using ASCII or Binary where appropriate. From there I set my permissions, then update the paths in vars_config.cgi.

Am I forgetting anything, or is there more?

Thanks for taking the time to help this newbie!

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
It's really best to follow the real instructions, which are about what you just said anyway... only you set up a board on the new server first, get it working, THEN move the data over.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
I'm pretty much going by the instructions, except that instead of reinstalling from the .zip, I want to be able to not have to redo all the modifications I have.

I'll take your advice to get the board up and running before I move the data over; I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63