Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I've had a licensed version of UBB for exactly 1 year. My access to the updates has expired.

Question #1:
Does anyone know if InfoPop considers it unethical to buy a new UBB for another address and by virtue of having access to the upgrade files, upgrade my old one at the same time?

I'd like to own another copy of UBB that I will be able to install on another site and really modify the day-lights out of it. My old UBB is version 6.02. Since my access to the upgrades recently expired, I have a choice, either buy a new one and gain access to the updates or buy access to the updates for my older version ONLY. It doesn't make sense that InfoPop would require that I buy access to the update for one UBB if I own another that includes one years access. Comments?

Question 2:
gaming.dimhorizon.com
dimhorizon.com (Already has UBB installed)

If I purchase another UBB...I'd like to experiment with it on gaming.dimhorizon.com
Then later, move it to an entirely different address. (Either netrush.net/com or earthrush.net/com)

Does anyone know if this is considered illegal? With all the discussion of licensed versions, I certainly don't want to do the wrong thing. I really learn alot from UBB Dev Network and would like to continue to do so.

Question #4
Here's the big one...
My original UBB resides at Dim Horizon

If I install a new licensed version of UBB on
http://gaming.dimhorizon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
would that affect/damage/wipe the original dim horizon members?

(Right now I don't think so...but I need someone to confirm for me.)

I'm trying to have an experimental version of the UBB without damaging the original one on the same server. Ya know...a UBB that I can repeatedly re-install if I mess it up. Gotta learn sometime.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Sorry it's so long-winded....
Regards,
Tigger
(aka Arianna)

You can e-mail me at:
[email protected]
(My usual login (Arianna) is bugged...and won't let me post)

[ May 27, 2001 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Tigger ]

Sponsored Links
I think Question #4 has been answered in another forum, but if you have any additional comments or helpful suggesions...please feel free to respond.

I really want to try and protect my original UBB install. (6.02 is kinda buggy....can't wait to get an install working that I can share the member files without having everyone re-register)

[ May 27, 2001 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Tigger ]

Question #1
Yes, it would be violating the license agreement. It would be akin to getting the latest UBB files from a friend. All your downloads under a license# should be used ONLY for that license# installation.

Question #2
I guess I don't quite understand. It sounds like you are saying you own a UBB and have it on dimhorizon.com and you want to buy a second license and initially install it on gaming.dimhorizon.com There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you have a license for EACH installation. There is nothing wrong with moving your UBB at a later date either, just as long as you take down the previous location's installation. However, I do believe IP doesn't mind if you have a closed-off board setup for testing purposes ONLY with the actual in-production board running elsewhere.

*Allen...thanks for fixing my login!*

Also, thanks for answering my questions SWFan! Since I can't afford to do everything the way they want, I guess I'll just end up buying the access to update my original UBB only. (I can't afford to maintain two UBB's!)

I'm sure I'll find another cheaper/free, yet inferior bb somewhere to use on netrush or earthrush site. frown

*Cries*
Regards,
Arianna
(aka Tigger)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
smile - glad you made it back smile

Installing one on gaming.dimhorizon.com wouldn't affect those on dimhorizon.com. If you want, you could share the same member database across them if installing on the same server. I know several people who are sharing members across 2-3 ubb's on the same server, with 2-3 licenses. smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63