Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#177621 04/19/2001 3:45 PM
hey
I got a mail error when a user whant to regy
i have no prop under UBB 5.47 but have upgradet to UBB 6.02 , hope some one can help me smile

here is the error:

SMTP MAIL command failed: Please check your SMTP mail server name. This server seems to exist but does not seem to allow us to relay mail.
At D:/home/my homepage/scripts/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_mail.cgi line 39

For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

confused

Sponsored Links
#177622 04/26/2001 11:09 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Those errors should be fixed in the latest release of v6, you might wanna check it out..

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#177623 07/11/2001 12:54 PM
I'm getting the same error, and I have version 6.05 on NT using Eudora Worldmail server.

Has this been figured out yet?

#177624 07/11/2001 1:07 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Keri, I posted some info in the other thread you were asking this in.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#177625 07/11/2001 2:18 PM
Yeah, I saw it. I am all over the place on different boards trying to figure it out.

My board is at http://www.mylesrockwell.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Here are some of the things I have found on other threads about the problem:

-------------------------------------

Change email type to send as HTML instead of Text:
Check your email settings from the control panel. Be sure you chose either HTML or plain text in the last choice in the set. Also, be sure there is a choice made for each option in email settings except SMTP server if you are using sendmail. Make sure to hit Updated changes.
Go back to your Email control panel - at the very bottom there is the HTML or Text EMail selection. Make sure one of those is selected.

Make sure that the two email addresses that you have entered into your control panel are valid email addresses from that domain. That's the one most people get wrong. If they are valid then ask your host to configure their server to allow free relay ONLY!!! from the IP address on which yur website resides. The stock UBB scripts do not provide for authorization or logon to smtp servers. Ask your host to allow smtp relay from the ip of your site. Otherwise, you would have to write a script for your setup. The stock UBB scripts do not provide for authorization or logon to smtp servers. Ask your host to allow smtp relay from the ip of your site. Otherwise, you would have to write a script for your setup. Check www.ubbdev.com for help.

I think there is a minor bug here cause when I turned off the e-mail features and then on, it got fixed.

I reuploaded vars_email.cgi to the cgi directory and just for the heck of it tried the /usr/sendmail/ thing again. (In ASCII)

If your host is Win32 and doesn't allow you to send mail out using their SMTP server (not your ISPs, THEIR server), find one that does.
The only way I can get email functions to work is if I use mail.mailsender.net as my smtp-server, since that's some random smtp server I found that allows relaying.

In the routing restrictions tab in Exchange, you must specify the webserver's IP address followed by a netmask of 255.255.255.255. This will tell Exchange to forbid relaying to anyone else but the webserver, and users should be able to get emails from the ubb.

Ensure that your SMTP server will allow free relay from the IP address that the board sits on. Also ensure that it will send to people not on a control list. I suspect your SMTP requires authentication before sending or relaying mail. This will not do because the UBB has no facility to log in and authenticate. When that is true a relay exception rule can usually be instituted to allow the UBB to send. If it is written correctly the SMTP server will still be secure from SPAM relaying.

The problem was one of my co-workers had set the relay settings under Directory Security to Deny All, without granting an exception for the local box. I added the box's IP as an exception and it worked fine.

I solved the problem!!! UBB is not issueing HELO/EHLO. On my mail server that was a requirement and I had to turn it off to make the board work.

Anyone who has servers with open relays is asking for trouble. Spammers will find them and then use them.
You should just bite the bullet and get a virtual host or a dedicated server so you can keep the entire site on the same server.

75 times out of 100 the problem is exactly as Graeme said.... the regstration email address entered into the registration settings page is one that is not a valid email address on the SMTP server.
As for the other 25? Incorrect SMTP server entered or a server that will not accept a relay request from the UBB.

Your SMTP server must be able to accept email on a standard port 25 connection and relay it to any address. The from line is always an address specified in the CP (one of two possibilities). So only those addresses need to be accepted as from addresses. However, you SHOULD be filtering on source IP address rather than email address in terms of relay restrictions. NOTE: a server requiring POP before SMTP is not suitable.

------------------------------------

I think my problem has to do with relay restrictions on the server. NT4, Eudora Worldmail. This is crazy because it all worked fine with the UBB 5.

Sponsored Links
#177626 07/11/2001 2:40 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
nice site...:)

If you are using Windows and IIS with SMTP, you don't have to worry about Eudora, unless you are running it as a mail server as well...

If using smtp:
try the ip address for the server address if the url isn't working.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#177627 07/11/2001 2:56 PM
The mail server is a different machine, it is NT as well but we use Eudora Worldmail as the mailserver software...not anything by microsoft.

Yep, tried to use the IP for the mailserver address instead of mail.domain.com, and it still acts the same.

Any other suggestions?

#177628 07/11/2001 3:28 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
do you have other domains hosted on this server? there should be a "main" IP for the server that the default SMTP points to... try that IP. When I get a chance later tonight, I'll sign onto our server and check the configuration...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#177629 07/11/2001 3:47 PM
Yes, we have other domains on our webserver. The IP I was trying was the IP for the mailserver. That's what you are talking about, right?

#177630 07/11/2001 3:54 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
use the main (default) IP for the SMTP server - not the one on the mail server, which I understand is a physically seperate machine...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
#177631 07/11/2001 4:12 PM
My tech guy says that the SMTP and mail server are the same machine with the same IP.

#177632 07/11/2001 4:15 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
hmmmm... wink

OK, scratch that, are you running 2 seperate machines? one IIS, one mail server...

SMTP should be setup on the IIS server, use the IP of the IIS server (its default IP).

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#177633 07/11/2001 5:41 PM
The IP that I've been using to test on the 6.05 version works fine when I use it on the 5.X version, so I'm sure that the IP is not the problem.

I think it has something to do with the mailserver getting the HELO/ELHO info from the UBB mail.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63