Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Umm Chrimera is a HE smile and my issues were easy enough to overcome for someone that DOES NOT know perl. I know being here is attempting suicide with my board in that case. But working with Beta software is about the best way I can think of to accelerate my learning perl. I am beginning to understand what a particular code string is trying to do, and make some comparisons between what this code is saying, and JCTemplates needs it to say for instance. (though it would not break my heart to see some accomidations made for JCTemplates when a mod goes Gold) I make mistakes, but if I were THAT good I would be producing here and not copy and pasting from here smile

BTW Corona - sorry for not including the syntax errors, I’ll get to the server and see if I can find the instances. I have some notes on what I was taking about and where I stuck the code to get it to work. I’m new here and would like to fit in and do my share wink

And anon09, I have heard it mentioned here a lot - "relax, we'll get you there". These guys/gals are not here to screw up your boards and have patiently walked me through some pretty elementary stuff smile

Check out what I have been able to do in 2 weeks, knowing NO perl when I began the board over a year ago.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I know that code in this forum is beta. I have been installing the hacks from the beta forums since the 5.x days. My problem, as with many of the people visiting these boards is time. I normally wait untill a number of people have installed a hack and any initial problems have been repaired before I install. As a number of people had said that they had installed the hack, successfully, I thought before I posted that I had problems with it, that I would re-download the zip file from infopop and do a search for the meantioned code in the unmodified original code. When after doing a find for the code and finding nothing even remotely resembleing the line to add it after I searched through the code to find nothing. As I had just finished a long day working, to be over half way through doing a hack to find inconsistancies in the instructions I got upset. I will also need to check one other piece of code from ultimatebb.cgi as it too was not like the instructions, but I guessed at it and made the appropriate change. Though I will not know if I am correct untill I re-open the board after the hack has installed. I appreciate that a number of people here know perl very well. What I would also appreciate is that if they have had to modify something to make it work, rather than just saying it installed with no problems, that they post what they changed to make it work. That helps everyone includeing the hack developer to eliminate any errors.

Hello,

Maybe I am missing something here, but the instructions in the file that I downloaded are exactly the same as they were before. I still see that code that I can not locate to place the required addition below for this hack. Has the zip file been updated?

Corona,

Check your email. I could post what I did in here, HTML code restrictions in posting.

But you'll see they were minor, and quite possible incorrect as I have only the vaguest knowledge of cgi. But it works smile

Anon90,

Instructions have been updated to match v6.3.1 boards with the inconsistency you have detailed above. I extracted the zip to make sure the change was there, and it was.

Tonight, Chrimera was also kind enough to ship me the second variation he found -- and as of the time of this posting i updated the install text with this syntax variation as well. Redownload the mod to grab the new install instructions with both of the syntax variations repaired. You will only need to examine the code hack to public_forum_page.pl and ubb_forum.cgi.

here are the exact changes to the installation text:
## IN PUBLIC_FORUM_PAGE.PL FIND:
$TBB

## ADD ABOVE:
$view_applicants

## IN UBB_FORUM.CGI FIND:
$subject = $this_topic_data[3];
## if the above code can not be found, search for the following instead: $subject = &PipeFixer($this_topic_data[3]);

## ADD BELOW (refer to instructions for the addition -- its the same as it was before, but just a little too lengthy to post here):

This should take care of the syntax variations between UBB versions 6.3.0 and 6.3.1+. As UBB versions change, i do my best to stay on top of all the versions, but quite simply, i haven't had time to test the install to v6.3.1 and v6.3.1.1 personally. I know 2 individuals successfully have this mod installed on v6.3.1+, and they have reported that the hack is operating properly -- you should have the same results (after you get past the install instructions that is). But if you do experience additional troubles, please post them, and i'll help you out as soon as possible.

Chrimera,
Thank you for submitting the syntax variations -- i've updated the install instructions with the appropriate changes.

$new_topic_button $poll_link
Sponsored Links
Hello,

Thank you for that the changes are reflected in this download of the zip file and it appears to be working fine.

Now I do have some other questions. Firstly is there automatically a link placed for the registration form, or do you have to place the correct link on a forum/s?

Secondly when createing a custom template ie not the one that you have supplied, I get the error message can not post the form as it does not contain a valid subject. I created a blank form without any tables. Are the tables required?

Hello Anon90,

quote:
Originally posted by anon90:
Hello,

Thank you for that the changes are reflected in this download of the zip file and it appears to be working fine.

Glad we got it worked out for you Anon90.

quote:
[qb]Now I do have some other questions. Firstly is there automatically a link placed for the registration form, or do you have to place the correct link on a forum/s?[/qb]
A link is not automatically created by the hack. Individuals place a link to the form in various locations - either in a post on the forum, in an html homepage, or somewhere hardcoded into UBB itself.

quote:

Secondly when createing a custom template ie not the one that you have supplied, I get the error message can not post the form as it does not contain a valid subject. I created a blank form without any tables. Are the tables required?
A single table is required. As well as one field within the table which will be used as the subject line of the form post. Together, the table and fields combine to create the custom form which will be displayed on your website. Without a form, the hack is pretty useless smile

anon90,

check out what I did uf you like.

http://www.thedarkwatch.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

In the Applications forum, feel free to knock about and look at the shortcuts. I created a forum in the Private section so Applicants could feel special, but it is the only thing in the private section they can read wink

Voting (poll) is done 1st in the Officers scetion to accept/decline, then moved to the general discussion forum in the private section if they are accepted.

Chrimera, your board seem extremely slow. Is it your bandwidth,or is something bogging down your server?

It has been kinda laggie lately. Im 850 by 350 ( a little present from SBC for bringing my account down for 2 months) but I havent tested speed in awhile. Ill do that tonight thanks

Sponsored Links
Heya Chrimera,

I see you upgraded to v3.1.2 -- One thing though. Enter the control panel -- applicant form settings and click submit. Your boards current settings are from version 3.1.1, and they were changed in 3.1.2. Submitting new settings will update the version and correct a few minor bugs.

Another thing i notice -- When registering a new account and upon recieving the account password, the email style colors are black text on a black background. Might want to take a look at it, might be a bug. As it stands now, users must highlight the text in the email to read the email.

Your board also looks very nice. Great work!

Thanks smile

I am sorry, I am running 3.1.1

At least thats what is says at the bottom of applicant form settings. And by Submit, I guess you mean the Update Aplication form settings button?

Ill need to look into the email. I am using HTML mail and it shouldnt be a black background frown

But thanks for the positive feedback !

quote:
Originally posted by Chrimera:
by Submit, I guess you mean the Update Aplication form settings button?
Yes, update application form settings smile clicking it should upgrade you to 3.1.2 (if you recently hacked up to 3.1.2 that is). I believe your using 3.1.2 since the coppa pages are working on your forums. Prior to 3.1.2, the coppa pages did not function with the Application forms hack.

quote:
[qb]
Ill need to look into the email. I am using HTML mail and it shouldnt be a black background frown
[/qb]
Please let me know if this is a problem with the app form hack or if changing the email style color settings fix the email text colors.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm.. can you set more than one forum to be used to post applications?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
hmmm.. can you set more than one forum to be used to post applications?
No, not at the present time. Currently, the mod can create and display a single form, and the data entered into that form is posted into only one (selectable) forum.

nt

hmmm how difficult would it be to create a checkbox that would activate/deactivate certian questions?

Example: I would like to use the App for both a Guild application and an Alliance one. I place BOTH sets of questions in the form but a checkbox grays-out selected questions. Probably a whole lot of work huh?

Otherwise I would just have a Part One and a Part Two. Cumbersome but do-able, and having this already puts us head and shoulders above 90% of the guilds out there smile

(edited by chrim)

Also odd thing. shouldnt the table with all the user info appear in the thread for accept/decline, to be seen by all members? I was under the impression it was in my past tests, but it wont now. . .

quote:
hmmm how difficult would it be to create a checkbox that would activate/deactivate certian questions?

Example: I would like to use the App for both a Guild application and an Alliance one. I place BOTH sets of questions in the form but a checkbox grays-out selected questions. Probably a whole lot of work huh?

Thats a very good question, and one i have been thinking about myself.

The problem is, i don't believe perl allows for form fields to be greyed out, or hidden on the fly. If perl does allow this functionality, then please fill me in. If perl did allow for fields to be hidden or greyed out on the fly, then its definately doable, but would be a rather large and tricky addition. I'm sure it can be done using java code, but I don't know Java too well and assume it would be a major overhaul if the hack was recoded in java.

I'll look into it though. This idea would be fantastic to add to this hack.

quote:
[qb]Also odd thing. shouldnt the table with all the user info appear in the thread for accept/decline, to be seen by all members? I was under the impression it was in my past tests, but it wont now. . .[/qb]
Accept/decline/refuse/vote/edit options are only accessable by administrators and moderators of the forum. Registered members or unregistered users will not see these options.

The view option is available to all members, but its not on the thread view page. The view option is found on the topics page (the page that lists all the posts in the forum).

Hmm odd, on my test board, in the thread that the application creates, a tabele appeared that you get when hitting VIEW.

http://www.thedarkwatch.com/ubb_test/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000145

Heya Chimera,

I took a look at your board. Viewing the thread created by a submitted form, its normal to see the data from the form for that specific user.

I believe i read your prior post wrong. I thought you were asking where the 'view' button is.

If your old forum wasn't showing this info, then recheck your modifications. Most likely in public_topic_page.pl

Everything seems to be ok in 'Applicant Form Settings'
I get this error when trying to access 'Application Form Templates'

path_to_cgi-bin/forum/vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi:
syntax error at (eval 11) line 63, near "; lt"

I double checked everything, I Followed instructions,
Then I checked to make sure all file where in place then looked for vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi
I have no vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi
So I renamed vars_appform_template_1.cgi to vars_appform_template_worksheet.cgi and it worked, Then after I'm done editing that file, It deletes itself..

Am, I missing something here or what ?

Current UBB 6.3.0.1

Hello Zigote,

I just shipped you an email to the email address you have listed within your profile here at ubbdev.

I was working with a gentlemen in trying to figure out this bug in the distant past, however he vanished (not sure if we fixed the problem or not). I believe its a permission problem on the cgi-bin and variables directory and only shows on some unix based webservers. But i might be wrong and would like to nail down whats causing this error message.

--Corona

Bug Fix and upgrade patch for v3.1.2 released! Upgrade Patches to v3.1.2.1, and is a must have!

Repairs the following:
  • Eval Syntax and Permission errors within the control panel for some webservers
  • Repaired display issues within registration routines

Download the Upgrade Instructions: Upgrade Patch 3.1.2 to 3.1.2.1
Thank you for the Bug Report Zigote!

This fix has been applied to the install instructions for 3.1.2.1 and all future versions. Download and refer to the install instructions if needed.

PS: Infopop devs should add a file existence check to the &RequireVars function! While it might create some additional overhead, it woulda saved me some heartache smile

Thanks Corona,
Still working good here,

Great Job on this one

And this would be a good idea...
quote:

PS: Infopop devs should add a file existence check to the &RequireVars function! While it might create some additional overhead, it woulda saved me some heartache smile

quote:
Originally posted by Corona:
If your old forum wasn't showing this info, then recheck your modifications. Most likely in public_topic_page.pl
that did it thanks. smile
wondering. . . hitting the SUBMIT button returns people to the main page. And as the app opens in a seperate window it is cumbersome. can you think of an easy way around this? perhaps a page with text saying "Application process initiated, please close this window and check your email." or some such?

Otherwise GREAT hack and thanks for the special attention laugh

Heya Chrimera,

Im not sure what you mean about the windows splitting off. I did visit your board and took a peak at the application form mod.

While i do see a split window setup, its in your html code. A split window is created when you click 'join us'. Even in v3.1.1, the hack should all run within one window (doesn't need multiples).

Currently you have the 'join us' button which is coded as follows:
(target _blank tells the browser to pop open a new window)

changing this to:
should remove the window split.

The big issue is... v3.1.1 does not support age checks (and they are enabled on your forum) nor email verification (and they are also enabled on your forums). Im suprised it transitions through the pages at all smile

I urge you to look back through the threads here and upgrade to v3.1.2.1. v3.1.2.1 handles the age checks and email notifications much nicer. In v3.1.2.1, there no major issues on the transitions that i'm aware of.

To simplify the upgrades from one version to the next (i know the appform mod is a huge hack), i've prepared Upgrade instructions which will bump the version up on each instruction set followed with as minimal work as possible. You will need to follow 2 of these upgrade instruction sets.

First, Upgrade from v3.1.1 to v3.1.2 Instructions are found here:
Upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 Instructions This upgrade will resolve many of the transition problems i see on your forums.

Second, Upgrade from v3.1.2 to v3.1.2.1 instructions are found here: Upgrade Patch 3.1.2 to 3.1.2.1

These upgrades will give you a much cleaner transition from one page to the next. This hack will be built up quite a bit over the next few weeks and if you want it to perform its best, hit the upgrades when they are released. smile

Im working on v3.1.3 which pretty much puts the completing touches on transitioning through pages cleanly (seems to work really well so far and looks very sleek). v3.1.3 also allows unregistered users to submit forms if you decide to allow it. Couple other features of v3.1.3 is wordletization of buttons and text and the ability to disable a form. V3.1.3 hopefully will put me closer to being able to work on code which allows the hack to have its own custom administrative functions.

BTW: I did look into the graying out of fields. While it is possible, it only works on IE4.0 browsers or higher atm. I do still plan on adding this functionality -- but its gonna be a few months.

Links time-out frown

quote:
Links time-out frown
Hrm, very strange. Try these links until my domain registrar repairs my domains configuration:

Upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 Instructions
Upgrade Patch 3.1.2 to 3.1.2.1
Application Forms 3.1.2.1 Full Install

New Version 3.1.3 Released!

• Now supports Unregistered Users! Option available to allow registered or unregistered users in the Control Panel
  • Fixes Transitions (Smoother, more logical progression from one page to the next)
  • Wordlets Added
  • Always displays form rules/instructions regardless of the users registration level
  • Application Form Mod can now be disabled with a switch in the Control Panel

Upgrade from v3.1.2.1 to v3.1.3 Instructions are found here: Upgrade from 3.1.2.1 to 3.1.3 Instructions
Download the full version here: Application Forms V3.1.3
If you experience any troubles, please let me know!

Congrats Corona - your mod seems to have really taken off! It's still working great in my forums. I haven't edited the code at all since we last spoke. I saw you on the Recent Visitors list this weekend. We might make a fisher out of you yet! smile

Thanks again, from me and my members.

Corona,

Perhaps I did seomthing wrong, but I upgraded to 3.1.2.1 and now anyone can get to my Private Forums frown

this is bad, but more than likely something I have done. Anyone familiar enough with this hack to tell me what I deleted that I should not have?

<--panic

Heya Chrimera,

This shouldn't happen, have done 3 upgrades on different boards and haven't had this problem before. Before im able to help, i need some more info.

Is an error produced? and if so, what is the error?

Also, can you tell me how you have permissions set on the private forum which users are gaining access to? is Restrict Viewing and Writing of Posts To Administrators, the forum Moderator, and other authorized* users checked? And is a password set?

Are registered users gaining access? How about unregistered users?

I'll help find the problem. Just give me some more info -- i'll be around all night. smile

Also, your domain keeps bouncing back my emails with SMTP errors. Do you have another email address? If so, PM me!

Im not saying the mod is behind the error smile

its most likely the user, just thought you might save me some forehead slapping smile

I'll regress back to 3.1.1 and try again

(edited by chrimera to cut down on spam smile )

I reverted back to 3.1.2.1 and all seems normal (^5)
Fat fingers and 12 hour days I think. I'll try the final upgrade later in the week when Im rested. Sorry I never got you on IRC but its not on this computer.

btw I was impressed with your quick response.

At the risk of Spam, I want to restate here that the mod is not responsible for the anomaly. My fat fingers are. I simply posted to find out the most logical place for me to look for MY error smile

just so ya know is all.

quote:
At the risk of Spam, I want to restate here that the mod is not responsible for the anomaly. My fat fingers are. I simply posted to find out the most logical place for me to look for MY error smile

just so ya know is all.
Had me scared smile

Just in case, i setup a test board w/ application forms v3.1.3 to be a mirror reflection of your own site in order to make sure permissions were being set properly and not giving inappropriate explicit permissions.

I then went through all the functions i could (as a test registered user, an unregistered user and then as an admin/mod pushing the form through all the admin functions, then retesting as the author of the form). Permissions were working properly in all instances, and i can't find any bugs with this hack that would of caused this.

I even tried backdooring in with trying to crack the board with URL modifications but couldn't gain access to areas where i wasn't allowed.

My guess at this point is that its simply a botched install. If you re-upgrade to v3.1.3, and have this problem again, please get in touch.

Corona, check your email smile

OK Check it again smile

Found inconsistencies in the upgrade 3.1.2 to 3.1.2.1 and upgrade 3.1.2.1 to 3.1.3 texts. They have been fixed.

You are my Hero/Heroine. thnks

Glad that your upgrade to 3.1.3 went well Chrimera smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63