Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Many people requested it in mod ideas/new members, so here I go:

Name: Extended Category Settings

Description: UBB™ 6.3.0 added a new HTML category feature, and many people want it to be in a specific category. This modification lets you change HTML template, style template and even hide the categories.

Demo: http://www.lkworld.com , http://www.lkworld.com/?category=3

Link: Text File or MultiHack File

Requirements: UBB™ 6.3.0 Beta Release 1.0

Number of Downloads: [img]https://ubbdev.com/lk/num.php?s=extcat.txt,extcat.mhx[/img]

Sponsored Links
You rock...

-Jason

Got this error after editing and clearing the cache. I then went to the Forum display and got this instead-

An error has occured:

d:/html/users/ocsfoundationcom/html/cgi-bin/ubb2/cp_forums.cgi: syntax error at d:/html/users/ocsfoundationcom/html/cgi-bin/ubb2/cp_forums.cgi line 382, near "$CATS["
syntax error at d:/html/users/ocsfoundationcom/html/cgi-bin/ubb2/cp_forums.cgi line 383, near ") {"
syntax error at d:/html/users/ocsfoundationcom/html/cgi-bin/ubb2/cp_forums.cgi line 451, near "}"

Thanks!

-Jason

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Thanks smile

Added a new option, "Default" - doesn't change the style template. If you want some categories to be modified when you modify forum summary settings, please rehack tipsy

Thanks LK!

The errors were all my fault the hack is great.

"user headspace and timing"

Thanks again!

-Jason

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
danke, I can use this one too smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Added MultiHack file and a demo URL smile

I hid one but I as an admin couldnt see the lounges...

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Read the description again. Where does it say that admins can see the hidden category? It says that the admins/users have to type the category # - for example ultimatebb.cgi?category=5.

So excuse my stupidity and slight rising excitement, but is this the hidden forums hack in essence?? confused laugh

Sponsored Links
I didnt say it did i was just checking that i didnt have a problem.. sorry i made it sound that way

Ok LK, did i do something wrong here?

[Linked Image]

Or do i just not understand how to hide the admin forum? I do not see an actual option to hide a cat.

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
You replaced somewhere in cp_forums_cats.pl instead of adding below, please rehack from a clean file

LK, thanks for the great hack!!! smile

Now for the inevitable question/plead:

Is it possible to have sub-categories within categories? I use UBB to host forum (play-by-email) games and I'd like to have a main forum page displaying sub-categories + forums under each category (game).

Example:

Category 1
--Axis & Allies--

Game Openings
Forum 1
Forum 2

Games in Progress
Forum 3
Forum 16
Forum 27

------------------

Category 2
-- Diplomacy --

Game Openings
Forum 5
Forum 6

Games in Progress
Forum 17
Forum 28
etc...

-----------------

Is anything like this possible or easy to implement? I'm ok with manipulating files, but I don't have the programming genius know-how of the UBB hack gods! smile

Content Kidman
Content Kidman
Great hack LK, just what I needed to hide some of my management forums from the hoards. It made some of my members feel left out if they knew such things existed.

But I noticed that the hidden category I placed them in still appears in the "Hop To:" box. Shouldn't they be removed from that too?

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Gal, no tipsy

Paulus, thanks, please hack public_common.pl from the updated instructions. smile

Hmm... The hidden categories are showing up when starting with categories only view.

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Thanks, never tried category only view... Instructions updated, rehack ubb_forum_summary.cgi

Content Kidman
Content Kidman
Are there any plans to modify this hack so that the hidden forums show up for those that can participate in them?

Or is that too complex?

LK
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
It's not too complex, it just won't work with cache so well -> more CPU process -> baaaad.

Content Kidman
Content Kidman
Okies, thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by Galactus:
Is it possible to have sub-categories within categories? I use UBB to host forum (play-by-email) games and I'd like to have a main forum page displaying sub-categories + forums under each category (game).

I have think of a way to do this. Create a forum for your subcategory. This should be a read only forum. Then insert a javascript in the Forum Introduction/Announcement to redirect it to the ultimatebb.cgi?category=x page!

I wish to use this hack for such a purpose. Unluckily, I was using 6.2. I hope LK could do a backward hack for 6.2 as well. laugh

Any plans to update this for 6.3.1? I tried but got totally lost at the TableTop section (only the second step into the mod :rolleyes: ). Thanks!

Edit: Disregard, I had given up too easily laugh Works great, thanks!

Though you can hide the category, the forums still show up in the "Hop to" navigation and "Daily Active Topics" page. It kind of defeats having a forum category "hidden" when they can be discovered so easily through the aforementioned methods.

Is there a way to hide these forums from the above? Either way, still a nice hack.

quote:
Originally posted by Galactus:
Though you can hide the category, the forums still show up in the "Hop to" navigation and "Daily Active Topics" page. It kind of defeats having a forum category "hidden" when they can be discovered so easily through the aforementioned methods.
I suspect you missed a step somewhere or perhaps got an older version of the hack because it works fine on my board. Posts in the hidden forums don't show up on my Daily Active Topics or in the Hop To section. confused

My only wish for the hack is to be able to display the catagory/forum on the summary page for those who have access to it. Otherwise you have to remind yourself to check for new posts. I know there's another hack that does this but apparantly there are still some issues with that one. Many many thanks for this hack though laugh

Originally posted by lgwong:

quote:
[qb]Originally posted by Galactus:
Is it possible to have sub-categories within categories? I use UBB to host forum (play-by-email) games and I'd like to have a main forum page displaying sub-categories + forums under each category (game).[/qb]
I have think of a way to do this. Create a forum for your subcategory. This should be a read only forum. Then insert a javascript in the Forum Introduction/Announcement to redirect it to the ultimatebb.cgi?category=x page!

I wish to use this hack for such a purpose. Unluckily, I was using 6.2. I hope LK could do a backward hack for 6.2 as well. laugh

Hmmm..great idea..just have to figure out how to implement it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63