Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
right-click on the page and click on "properties" - it will tell you how large the file is... if you are on a thread with 3-4 replies and it says the file size is 7kb, then you know you are saving a good bit of bandwidth smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Seems to work, now all I have to do is re-add all the hacks into my test board. Could be diffecult since the code has changed quite dramatically for PB2, I hope some of the authors see that.

If along the way I discover what hack causes the compilation errors then I'll mention that. Thankfully this means I don't need the UBB Accelerator enabled and so WOL etc. will work =).

SERIOUS BUG,

Have any of you tried to close a thread with compression enabled, give it a try! All you get is the compressed data output:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=close_topic&t=000011&f=1

Moderator / Developer
Moderator / Developer
topics close and reopen fine for me. this is very sweet. excluding the main forum summary, i have no pages over 8k. whereas before i had no pages under 50k, and most were around 70-80k!
nice work on figuring this one out guys! laugh

Then it must somehow be related to one of the hacks I've installed, I'll install a flat UBB6.1 and see if it still happens and then go from there.

Sponsored Links
i get a @INC Cannot locate Compress/Zlib.pm and that is not even a required module, anyone else get this error??

and i ran http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

and compress::Zlib is installed on my server..

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Asendin ]

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I'm getting the following errors on a 6.05 board, and they all point to the vars_wordlets_mod WOL.

Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 346.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 359.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 359.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 365.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 365.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 371.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 492.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 504.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 504.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 511.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 511.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 684.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 684.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 691.
Execution of f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi aborted due to compilation errors.

For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Hmm it seems the problem I had with compression re-surfaced under v6.1 FINAL, yet it's RANDOM and doesn't always show.

On another note, does anyone have any physical server logs showing proof that it saves bandwidth.

I compared one day with it enabled (obviously was through the usual testing) and another without (similar pageviews and visitors) and the bandwidth consumption barely shifted a single percent. My site is 70% forum related and so it should have at least been 30% less.

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: mark99 ]

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Qasic, do have any ideas as to why the WOL wordlets are generating the errors I listed above?

svr Offline
Can you guys please release a version of this hack that works for UBB 5.47e unix? wink

Sponsored Links
svr Offline
BTW is there any way to check if the ZLIB module (or program ...) is installed on my unix server without downloading/installing 6.1 ubb ??? Thanks again.

is there a way to get this to work, without haveing to install the IO:String module, I was wondering if there was a way I could get it to work while I wait on my hosting company to install the module.

I placed IO:String stuff in the cgi directory like everyone else, but I get errors. If there is no way around this then I'll just wait for my hosts to install it.

quote:
http://www.scriptsolutions.com/
download perl diver

check that to see if the required modules are installed

lg Offline
when will this go out for 6.1 release?

It's not a typical mod or hack, it's generic.

From my experiance it'll run fine with PB1.4 to UBB6.1.1, although be careful of heavily hacked v6.0x forums.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Can someone have a look at this and tell me what's missing on my IIS 5.0 server?

http://www.netwerkin.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

can someone make this hack a lil easier to understand? maybe im just slow but it doesnt make sense to me on how im supposed to install it. and i dont even know where the files are supposed to be uploaded? so if somebody could make it easier, id appreciate it smile

The folders go in your Mods directory in your cgi-bin directory. The rest of the instructions are in the first post of the thread. It's really simple.

On a side note, however, I had to delete the Digest folder. While it was there it kept giving me wacky errors, and it works great without the Digest folder, so I don't know what's up with that.

Ultimate Frisbee is good for you, it improves your symbolic logic skills.
i decided to try it & im getting this error...

Can't locate Compress/Zlib.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /home/sites/site69/web/cgi-bin /home/sites/site69/web/cgi-bin/Modules /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 24.

where am i supposed to get Zlib.pm? cuz its not with the files.

i got this perldiver thing if that will help somebody give me an answer on why its not working: http://www.djsharp.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: DJSharp ]

i guess i have to just remove it for now since nobodys responding.......

plleeeeeeeeasssse help...

this is how mine looks...is everything right? what needs to be changed?

require Modules::Compress::cgi_buffer;
import Compress::cgi_buffer
$cgi_buffer::generate_etag = 0;
use strict;
use Fcntl ':flock';
use UBBCGI qw(:cgi); # CGIPath/Modules/UBBCGI.pm
use UBBCGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser set_message);
use vars qw(%vars_whos_online @Ell_cookie $invisible_pref @people);
use vars qw(%vars_wordlets_mods); # CGIPath/Modules/UBBCGI/Carp.pm
use vars qw($new_pms);

damn, whats it take to get help in here? ima just start emailing all yall pretty soon.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I got it to work, and this might be useful info for people running a UBB on IIS.
I had to add a line to ultimatebb.cgi so now i have this...

#use strict;
use lib qw(e:/inetpub/wwwroot/netwerkin/cgi-bin/modules);
require Compress::cgi_buffer;

By adding the "use lib qw" I changed the @inc path and now it works great.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Now that I have my board running on 6.1.0.2 on IIS, I can't get this to work again. I'm getting the can't locate loadable blah blah.

I've noticed that the first few lines of ultimatebb.cgi are different and seem to be setting up the modules directory. Are there any changes to the instructions that will make it find Digest::MD5 since it is in the right folder and perldiver says it's there?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I haven't tried this one yet since 6.1 release either. I'll load it on a test board and see how it runs - we're on win2k/iis5 as well.

dj, post your perldiver file again and I'll look at it.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
http://www.netwerkin.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

I had used a "use lib qw(e"/real/path/to/modules)" as the first line in 6.05 to get my hosted server to work, but now I get the same error I got without it before, almost like something else is causing that module to not be loaded properly.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Whenever I find a combination that looks promising I get an error saying that UBBCGI.pm can't be located...grrrrrr

quote:
http://www.street-stylez.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

i could REALLY use this hack right now, cuz my board is going Xtremely slooooow right now. i might be willing to PAY somebody to install this hack if I cant do it myself.

I see that in 6.1.0.3, in ultimatebb.cgi "use strict"and "use vars" in lines 30 and 35 are already uncommented. Will this cause any problems adding this hack? Also, I've read that this will save bandwidth and increase page download times but our concern is CPU useage which (from what I've researched) increases by using this hack. In that case, would it be recommended to NOT use this hack?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
It does increase CPU utilization, but it is a good trade off if you are looking to conserve bandwidth and have a lot of members on modems.

Our problem is the opposite. We have plenty of bandwidth but our CPU usage is too high. At times, a "Top" can creep into double digits, i.e., 10, 11...so I don't think this would be a worthwhile solution for us. Best thing that helped so far was enabling PHP/UBB Accelerator in "unsafe mode" so it takes advantage of that ZLIB compression...

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I have to have my who's online stable so the PHP is not an option for me right now.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
looks like everything is there... I'll need to read through here and see what kinda problems you are having.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
You are missing the Compress::zlib module... it is possible to include the IO::String you are missing as well, but you gotta have the zlib module installed on your server.... talk to your host about it.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
OK, I'll install this on our test board and see what needs to be done. We already have all the modules installed except for cgi_buffer, so your mileage may vary.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
OK. it has been installed on the test board without problems...

https://www.ubbdev.com/test/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

I put the code:

require Modules::Compress::cgi_buffer;

immediately above this:

BEGIN { # get our modules directory set up

Uploaded the modules we included with the zip, and we're off! To test it, check the properties of any .cgi page there except the forum summary (it doesn't work there for some reason). I may install it here as it seems to work fine with the accelerator.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Any external and dynamic SSI output from the forum like that doesn't go around the compression and so outputs compressed data.

In case you're wondering the UBBNews (cached pages get saved and exported) and Latest Threads (when saved to HTML file) scripts still work with SSI.

Until Tovok7 adds 'Save To File' support then there's not much you can do.

eh, crapola...

Thanks!

alright this hack speeds up the loading of my board but it isn't compressing. In like in one topic page at 33k non compress is still at 33 kb when compressed i used that test link to see if your pages are gziped and it said no then with it installed it said yes. The page should have been like 4k it said when compressed.

maybe i don't understand how this works, but..does it actually make a difference? cause the data has to be decompressed right? and this doesn't happen on the client side, does it?

any insight is appreciated.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63