Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I know most of you guys thought that Casual was done for, disapeared without a trace, jumped ship, closed it's doors, etc..

I'm not like those Active Topic authors.

However I do want to apologize to everyone for the long delay on v1.2. I've been very busy.

So, here it is v1.2 now works stand-alone, and your able to copy/rename each script to create multiple streams. Scripts have been tested and work perfectly.

Since these scripts (v1.2) get more complicated I cannot be responsible for any consequenses if used on UBB v6.1x and above (I don't think it will work, and I've never tried it). I know some people have mentioned that v1.1 works great on UBB 6.1x and you may want to try version 1.1 available on the start of this thread.

I've tested v1.2 on 6.05 and below only.

Next versions will be released for UBB 6.1x once it becomes out of BETA. But I will still support v1.2 for UBB 6.05 and below.

Please let me know of any bugs here. Excuse the install notes bad grammar. (I'm a programmer not a freaking writer).

Enjoy, Thanks

Casual ([email protected])

Sponsored Links
Love the script! Thanks a lot...

I have one question for anyone that can answer this, I was wondering why replies don't show up in the Latest Threads and just original posts? Is there a way to show replies as well?

Thanks
Chad Hardy
The Web Design School
http://www.thewebdesignschool.com

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
wo0t...thanks!

quote:
If you use the last post name and summary then it will show you the reply information. Otherwise topics are the same for all the replies.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks

Hmm I have 170 forums, this only supports up to 99 =(.

Sponsored Links
quote:
Mark99,

170!!, Ok, I just assumed no one would ever have more that 99 so I created an easy way to do the filters. I guess I was wrong.

I'll have the option to go beyond 99 forums soon. Look for an update later.

Thanks

Casual

Hey there

I hope you can help. I'm running UBB 6.04b (http://www.doghause.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi) and I just attempted to install unsuccessfully the latest threads v1.2 hack.

First let me say that this hack is so great because of it's unobtrusive nature. I had tried the Active Topic hack a few months ago with limited success and I was pleased how much easier this one was.

But I'm afraid when I tried to get this one working, I had some problems. Here is what I did:

(1) I modified ubb_lib_postings.cgi on line based on the directions. I left its chmod alone at 755.

(2) I opened lt.cgi on my hard drive and set the variables to:

$save_to_file = 0;

$index_listings = 1;

$page_limit = 8;

$display = 3;

$public_zone = 0;

$filters = 0;
@filter_forums = ('01','03','10');

and left everything else alone.

(3)I uploaded public_lt.pl to my non cgi directory under templates which is called ubb/Templates. I made public_lt.pl chmod 755. I also tried it at 644 but that seemed to give me the same result.

(4) I uploaded lt.cgi and lt_reset to my cgi directory which is called cgi-bin. I made both of these 755. I also tried deleting lt_reset.cgi because I was choosing not to use it but that didn't help either. Right now they are both up there.

(5) Crossing my fingers, I went to test. I typed in http://www.doghause.com/cgi-bin/lt.cgi and my server provider (which is not free) sent me to their error page at http://errorpages.cais.net/error500.htm.

(6) Sighing I reviewed all variable changes and chmods and found no issues that I could see.

(7) I thought I'd try the ssi anyhow. I created one (an shtml file) that pulled a test htm file and it worked great. So yes my server does run ssi files on shtml files.

(8) I then made a test shtml file calling the lt.cgi file thinking that maybe my server had some issue with it being called directly. This file is http://www.doghause.com/test1.shtml. It says:

Its chmod is 644. The error I get is "[an error occurred while processing this directive]".

(9) So now I am begging for help from you. If you know what is wrong and there is a work around or I missed something please please inform me.

Thank you in advance for helping if you can!

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Holly

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: holly ]

Holly,

First off a 500 error you get means you configured the script wrong in some way. You have to display more info on how you configured cause right now it seems the configuration is wrong so going farther ahead like putting it into html would be pointless.

Second of all, SSI'ing via <<--include virtual a CGI is a no no... the virtual tag is only used for html type pages (or php for that matter).

Anyhow you have to use an <--exec tag for the cgi pages that you are trying to run. HOWEVER this is the catch, your cgi must work first in order for you to even think about SSI'ing the CGI wink

Anyhow post more info on your coding and it should be easier to help you out.

Russell,

The lt directions did not ask for much configuration. So I did not make many. I cannot think of anything that I did not mention in the last email. I'm not sure what other information I can give you on my coding. What type of information would be helpful to you? I'll be happy to send you whatever you need. Just let me know.

As far as the SSIs... I'm a complete newbie when it comes to them so I appreciate your correction (which will help when everything else gets straightened out.) I changed

to .
I get a blank page now instead of that error. I believe that is an improvement. smile

Thank you so much for your help in this matter.

Holly

Any idea when a version for 6.1 will be released?

Sponsored Links
Please note that some servers don't care whether you use exec or virtual, whichever works is always best.

As for a 6.1 ver, djc has often said that he'll wait for a v6.1 final before moving on.

Just had a quick question, lets say u have it display 7 topics on the page, when it hits 8 topics just it start over and show only one latest thread? does it clear the cache, or does it just ad the 8 post as the newset thread on the list?

quote:

Sorry for the late response. I was on a long awaited 3 week vacation!
cool

Anyway, with the new version of lt.cgi you must make sure you set the PERL path correct (this is probrably your problem not listed in your steps). LT.CGI now runs standalone so if the perl path is not the same as the ultimatebb.cgi then LT will give you a 500 error.

Let me know if this problem continues.

Thanks

Casual
[email protected]

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]

quote:

Topics get added to a master list. Lt.cgi grabs the latest threads from the master list but limits it's display to your prefs. Lt always makes sure it grabs the latest threads in the list by a time/date stamp sort. Your master list may contain up to 60 entrys (depending how long its been running). If you clear your MISC cache from the control panel, you will erase the Master list entrys (also called the rollover data).

Thanks

Casual

PS, I also fixed a link to the file. My web provider seems to have a problem. Please use the alternative site at http://profusion.iwarp.com.

Dj,

Just to let you know that v1.1 works perfectly in UBB6.1B2 and I've solved a problem of yours.

Auto updating files can be done by calling the file and then also calling the URL to update that file (no data shows, but the call automates the file update process).

In other words.:

Bingo, the second call from within the UBB updates the first file call. I'm not sure how CPU intensive this is, my solution is to put the second SSI call on a less visited page =).

Please note that this is excellent for those using UBB Compression because compression corrupts SSI output that comes directly from the forum.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I run my UBB on an IIS server and get this error when I run lt.cgi

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Any ideas?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Never mind, I set the output file to 0 and it works...I haven't integrated it into my homepage yet, but i will tonight..

Thanks!

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Okay, I'm kinda stuck here. If I set save to file to "1" I get the cgi error above, but if I set it to "0" and I can hit the lt.cgi successfully with a browser, my include causes all of the code on the lt.cgi page to show up, not just the latest threads. Is this hack IIS 5 compliant?

quote:
Yes, I've had other reports that it works on UBB 6.1.x but only because it runs through ultimatebb.cgi. Making it work standalone is the hard part. I'm working on the 6.1.x code now along with fixing/adding feature on the 6.0x code.

quote:
This is actually not a bad idea. However I know I can make Latest Threads auto-update when new post are submitted only. I'll keep you guys updated.

Question:

How many of you think I should continue to work and update Latest Threads for 6.0x? Should I leave 6.0x AS Is and concentrate more on 6.1.x?

Thanks

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]

quote:
IIS compliant, maybe not. I do testing and development on Unix Solaris with IPlanet servers software. Do you know where I can find IIS manuals, troubleshooting guides, etc...?

Thanks

Casual

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Hey dj, the best link for IIS stuff is www.technet.com and use the advanced search. The knowledge base is huge. I think my problem is in how the virtual include is handling the cgi, not in your page itself. If I could set the write to file to "1" I could access the html, but when I do that I get the error above.

I appreciate your reply.

Nice hack,,,please don't abandon the 6.0X version!!

I was wondering if there's any way to change the number of words that the summary option outputs?? It prints out too much of each post for my purposes at the minute. Cheers.

Never mind, seems ok now smile

I think it'd be nice to see a 6.1 latest threads beta, but you don't need to put all your effort in until it's actually out of beta.

If you need somebody to help test then give me a PM or mail, have a test board for this sort of thing.

i'm not quite sure how to dl this hack..can someone give me a link?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Well dj, I put up a page with the cgi file showing up instead of the latest threads, and I noticed in the middle of the mess is this error;

Error including required files: $@ $!n";#, Dumper %vars_registration;
print "Make sure these files exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

You can see the page here . Any ideas?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Hmmmm, there has to be someone using IIS that can help with this???

quote:
Sounds good, I'll keep in touch!

quote:
All the hacks always have the link on the first post in the thread. Otherwise the website like is:
http://profusion.iwarp.com

quote:
Xpert, How about you email/pm me the link to the cgi script where you are getting the error and write down the settings your using for lt.cgi. I need more info to figure why your getting these errors.

Is IIS run on NT?

Thanks

DjCasual
[email protected]

quote:
Nevermind the Link, I found your website and I have looked at your scripts running. However when I run cgi-bin/lt.cgi the output is perfect! But your include isnt working?

Are you using the Save_to_File option? How are you including your lt.cgi?

Try this include instead:

I think I read somewhere that NT doesn't like virtual includes for cgi. Give it a shot and please let me know.

Thanks

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
If I use the exec instead of include I can get the no new threads message, but as soon as I post I get a blank.

If I use the save to file option I get this error running lt.cgi...

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

If I don't use the save to file option I can run lt.cgi just fine, but you see the results if I try to use an include.

I'm going to dig around some and if I come up with the answer I'll be sure to post it.

BTW, the same results occur at my host and on two of my own IIS boxes.

quote:
Ok, I think I know what the problem is with the CGI error your getting. I may have left out some Content-Type header information out in the LT 1.2 version.

I'll have an updated version tomorrow afternoon, I don't have access to a IIS server so you'll have to try it and let me know if it works.

Look for the update tomorrow evening (pacific).

Thanks

DjCasual

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I will try it immediately and let you know. I appreciate the time you're putting into this.

Latest Threads has been updated.

v1.2.1 includes the following:
  • Two digit limitation for forum filters now fixed.
  • IIS/NT Server compatibility fix (we hope)
  • Minor bug fixes

Thanks Everyone!

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]

dj,

The hack works great!

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: Teutonic ]

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Okay, I don't get the cgi error anymore, but if I use the save to file option i don't get a latest_threads_lt.html file in my noncgi directory. With your older version i have no trouble getting the latest_threads.html file written, in fact I'm using it on netwerkin's home page.

quote:
I'm really sorry your having so much problems with 1.2.x. If the file is not saving the issue lies with NT/IIS. I only have access to Iplanet/Solaris and Apache/Linux servers and both servers save the latest_threads_lt.html files correctly.

Can anyone supply a small NT/IIS w/cgi account to do more R&D for Latest_threads?

Xpert, I'll look around in the code to see why NT/IIS doesn't like LT.CGI save-to funtion.

Thanks

DjCasual

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I'll see if I can set up a server for you. I'll try to get one with term server running so that you have total access.

quote:
Xpert, that would be awesome. Please email me if and when you can provide that account. ([email protected])

On other news; Those of you who want a Latest_Threads for the new 6.1 will only have to wait about 1 week after the official UBB 6.1 is released. Possibly October 26th.

I will still support and upgrade LT for UBB 6.0x.

Thanks

Casual

Welp, I don't have an IIS server, but hey djcasual, tell me if I'm wrong, but do I HAVE to always activate lt_reset.cgi for the script to update to the latest threads avaliable?.. I'm talking up to the post type viewing via SSI.

The reason I ask is because, I myself have access to Cron jobs and stuff but some might not.

What I ended up doing was actually editting the lt_reset.cgi script to NOT display text at all. Then I would have the script activate right above the SSI coding for lt.cgi so that it would update with up the the minute threads.

I'd like a confirmation whether or not I even have to actually do this action for the thing to update up to the thread (on lt.cgi load).. or would I have to keep activating lt_reset.cgi

Here is what I mean. My main page is at:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A BETA SITE, I am still configuring the boards and the entire workaround so that everything is functioning fluidly.

Register on the boards if you'd like... I'm the only one beta testing it for now.

Main Website (with LT Hack Implemented on the Left Hand Side)
http://www.animebb.org/index22.shtml

UBB Area:
http://forumcenter.animebb.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

quote:
RussellK,

Please don't get confused with scripts.

lt.cgi = This is the main script

lt_reset.cgi = This should only be used to reset latest_threads cache files. This file should never be used to run lt.cgi.

public_lt.pl = This is a custom display option file and you must upload this to your /noncgi dir/Templates/ or you may run into problems.

All the other files are optional.

Remeber to modify the ubb_posting.cgi like the install says or else your lt.cgi will never update.

Keep in mind that you need to post topics so that you can get latest_threads to start building your thread listings.

I'll look at your site soon.

Thanks

DjCasual

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63