Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#13516 09/18/2000 9:50 PM
no more back down.

1) I am ashamed to see that large, unsightly ad at the top of the page. ick. disgusted. find some other way to make money.

2) no more censorship. I dont want to see any more asterisks unless they happen to be in the password box.

I mean, the thirteen years of age or younger contingent here is negligible, and its so easy to get by anyway. laughable.
shite

we're mature people. most of the time.
I say we VOTE. definetly. We should hold a big old vote.

------------------
-david
I wish the milkman would deliver my milk.
In the morning.

Sponsored Links
#13517 09/19/2000 12:34 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks for your input EE...

1. how do you propose we pay for the server, hmmm? take up donations? [Linked Image] I think once the shock is over, it'll blend in...

2. If we are mature, then we won't have a need for censureship, eh? There are ladies present, for crying out loud, if you have a gripe with someone, take it to email or pm's, it's not for public display...

OK, that's the vote...

[Linked Image]

I still like your other suggestions... we are strapped for time tho and are getting to them as fast as possible...

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#13518 09/19/2000 11:38 AM
I have to back Allen on this one. We have costs people, and unless you want to help fund this site, we have to rely on advertisements to do that for us. Now, the good news is that we ARE able to pick and choose which ads we want on our site. However, you need to understand that this is not our first choice, but a happy medium.

The ads allow for two thing that make this site great:
1) User privledges and access are free (to the users.)

2) We are able to stay in business.

And that's the key word here: business. That's exactly what this is. We can't forget that. Anywhere along the way.

People, for those of you who don't like the way the ads look now, there is a positive side to all of this: The more traffic we get, the more we can charge for advertising space and the smaller we can make those ads. Without traffic, we have to deal with huge, obnoxious ads that have nothing in common with our user base.

Frankly, I think the Chase-Manhattan ad is one of the more professional that I've seen. At least they made an attempt to blend with our site's colors. Not many ads do that. Also, much like Howard Stern says, if you like what you have here, than you need to support our advertisers. They're the one's who are making this whole thing possible.

- DB

Well...ummm...fine.

But I'll just say that I manage to finance my site without ads, and I don't even have a job, and my family is most definetly not wealthy.

"Just a thought."

------------------
-david
In the morning.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks David, really. It would be much less expensive if we used a shared server, I can get a "good enough" one for about $14/ month. This site runs on a dedicated server which costs more than 32 times that. Our goal is to be here long term and to provide you with the best support/ service possible. We made the decision from the beginning that we would go with a dedicated server to make the site as stable as possible (if you know our background, you would understand)...

We did put the html/css/javascript forum up... do you know any gurus who might be willing to moderate it?

I am kinda suprised you didn't enter the member spotlight contest... submissions start again in another week for next month's...

------------------
Allen

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
ohhh....you have a dedicated server? Lucky boy, lucky boy. Yeah, I use shared, hosted by dreamhost. Very good, for my purposes.

gurus? Not really, except me [Linked Image]
I don't want to 'toot my own horn', but I would have to see I'm quite up to date on the subjects. I know HTML, but thats definetly not a big feat. I know how to stay compliant with W3 standards (although certain browsers may not). I don't know javascript though, but it should fall into place after I learn all those other languages (True Basic and C++), besides, most javascript can be found at resource sites now. My newest site is here * , if you want to take a looky.

I dont really know anybody else. There was a guy at a yahoo club I used to frequent who is a pro designer, and very helpful with javascript and such. Maybe I can dig him out. Actually, there were quite a few people there. Also a woman named 'opalcat' (not really). She also was there, and runs her own UBB at http://fff.fathom.org (fabulous forums of fathom). Shes good. I don't know how willing you are to make strangers moderators though. [Linked Image]

The reason I didn't enter my site is because I had a major bug, and by the time I got it working again, it was quite late, and not quite good enough, in my mind. Also, I fixed the problem by using a one-month old backup copy, so it was missing quite a few hacks, adn the design wasn't quite the same. Right now I'm in the thick of building the actual site, so I may not get around to it.

By the way, I have another suggestion that I'll just add here.

As another option for someone who wins the prize, and is using a freeware board, you should offer a cash prize equaling the cost of a license. For instance, if I won, I'm really in no hurry to get a licensed board, I'm rather attached to my current one. But oh what I could do with that money...thats easily more than a year of hosting in my situation.

*I'm not 'testing' it, I'm in the process of putting it together from scratch, and almost none of the links work.
------------------
-david
In the morning.

[This message has been edited by evil-empire (edited September 19, 2000).]

CE Offline
your looking for people that know alot about html? i know a fair ammount...and i have a online friends who know all that and adobe http://xenotech.jumpworld.net/test.shtml
^^^^^^^ current page being worked on...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
we are always looking for good people, if you have time to spend at least 20 min/ day and some good talent/ experience, send me an pm with links to some of your work and I will discuss it with the other moderators, we try to vote on things like this if possible so that we are able to work together more...

------------------
Allen

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63