Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ok good i got it to work. The only problem is that the Table Header Strip Background Color is black and the Table Header Strip Text Color is Black too but i set the text color to be white. How come it doesn't show up as white. I also can't change the regular text color either. It seems that all the text color is black no matter what i do. What is the problem? go to http://server2048.virtualave.net/jpnetworks/index.shtml and see what i'm talking about.

Also mr. bond did you read above the feature request above. I would really like that feature.

Sponsored Links
Code
code:
it works as you can see here on a test webpage , but when I do use this call:
Code
code:
it does not work properly as you can see on this other test webpage .

Can you see what am I doing wrong ??

Thnx in advance

Knutt Ballz

[ May 20, 2001 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Knutt Ballz ]

Great hack! I'm gonna see if I can't fix a couple of them pesky bugs smile

[ May 20, 2001 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]

-DT
Text Color Bugfix:

in public_ubb_news.pl:

>>>Find:

Code
code:

>>>REPLACE WITH:

Code
code:

EDIT: blasted quotation marks smile

[ May 20, 2001 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]

-DT
Code
quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Templar:
Text Color Bugfix:

in public_ubb_news.pl:

>>>Find:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">code:

>>>REPLACE WITH:

Code
code:

what is that supposed to do? I still have my text color problems. Is there a setting I am missing or something? I just can't get the text color to change on the black bars. go to http://server2048.virtualave.net/jpnetworks/index.shtml and see what i'm talking about.

Sponsored Links
ahaha. The hack for the news uses the Text Color field for everything. Mr. Bond or someone needs to fix this where the 'announcement title' and the 'Read More' Bar have separate text colors then the actual news color text. Do you know what i'm saying?

Also, has anyone tried fixing it where different news(like ubbnews?forums1 and ubbnews?forums2) have differnet templates?

OOps...shoulld use the table strip text color on that ^_^

On my boards, its the same, so I didn't notice. Heh, I'll post the fix to that fix after I get home. smile

-DT
Ahah! I figured out how you can satisfy us masses wanting multiple style colors as well as multiple forums. If you could add one more variable when you call the news from a URL, we could specify which style template to use as well! That would be perfect. We could do something like:

ubbnews.cgi?forums=3?style=2

or however you split up variables in the URL, I forget right now. But I believe that ability would answer all my requests.

Ultimate Frisbee is good for you, it improves your symbolic logic skills.
quote:
Hey did you ever fix that problem I was having? If so, please post the fix because I still have that problem.

quote:
yes this would be great! I really really need this feature too. We just need to fix the font color problem and add this feature and this would be the perfect hack. I wish I knew how to code or I would help out. Where has Mr. Bond been? He hasn't responded to any of this.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I fixed the text color problems, tho my layout has been modified slightly to resemble our newspro output (check the bottom of our front page for an idea of what I mean).

the template file we are using is here:
https://www.ubbdev.com/public_ubb_news.txt

if you want to see where the errors are. It's mostly just some missing " and wrong styles....

there is still a bug regarding the smilies in the posts.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
oh hehe i wish i saw your post before. I just went throught he code and fixed it myself! I feel good. I've never looked throught code before. It was actually quite simple. Now we just need to do that feature for different templates for different news. Ramirez had a good idea on how to do it. I'll email mr. bond and see if he can add that feature.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'm busy these days .. but I'll see what can I do ..

Quick question for you guys..

why is it when I specify a forum number like say 10...the news.shtml page that loads SHOWS forum 10 topics, but the title is for forum 5??? Why is this??

I've also noticed that it doesn't pick up the double digit forum #'s. It doesn't like my forum number 10! Ack! Any suggestions?

[ May 22, 2001 05:30 AM: Message edited by: HalfBreed ]

Hi,
is it possible, that on some servers the hack doesnt work ?
I installed it here
http://www.forumdeluxx.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews.cgi?forum=1
but it won´t work. Does it make use of exec-commands or something like that ?

Thanks for your help
Dennis

Regards Dennis Bode
-----------------------------
Webmaster of Hardwareluxx.com
dbode, the hack works for me, it's just that it doesn't seem to recognize forum numbers over 9. Can anyone offer up any suggestions if the hack isn't going to be addressed, such as maybe renumbering forums (if possible)?

Hi,

I found the error : My server host is processing Perl-Scripts in CGI, so I just had to rename it to ubbnews.pl, that was all

Now I have an easy question - is it possible to integrarte UBBNews into a page WITHOUT using EXEC or something like that.
Perhaps building a table around the side ?

Any tricks ?

Thanks
Dennis

Regards Dennis Bode
So far, after doing further testing, it appears that this hack can't distinguish say forum #1 and forum #10.

http://www.hourofhavoc.com/forums/ubbnews.cgi?forums=1

http://www.hourofhavoc.com/forums/ubbnews.cgi?forums=10

They produce the same thing and they are 2 completely different forums of course.

ok i'm still having problems with the Text colors.. i change the color and it applies to both news and title colors.. and in the subject it always includes the Forum name and then the actual News subject (Forum Name: News Title)... how do i fix this??.. btw, i download the LATEST zip files and thats what i got! help!?

quote:
your right! I hadn't even noticed that. I need this fixed because I have many forums over 9 that I will be using.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ruph, compare the file you have with the one I posted, the bugfixes are in there... for a quick fix, (nevermind, all that stuff I wrote a while ago is wrong, I am tired :))

Rename this file with a .pl extension and upload it in ascii to your Template directory and see if it clears up:

https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/public_ubb_news.txt

Dennis, it can be done, it's mainly a matter of putting the $Header and $Footer stuff back in...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:

I'm using forum 10 and it works just fine.

Hi again,

@AllenAyres :
Where would I have to place the $header and $footer in ? public_ubb_news.pl ?

Dennis

Regards Dennis Bode
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
yes.. I'll look at it tonight and see where they need to be placed...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
We're having large block of errors at the top and bottom of all the shtml pages we try to put the hack in.

Second, we have to list a forum in the forums to be pulled for news to be able to call it from script. This isn't a huge deal, but it's a bit of the pain.

Third, even if we put in "forums=61" or whatever, if we don't put in the setup to limit to a maximum of one forum, it will pull all the forums rather than just the one we have listed.

Fourth, we can't limit some forums to a certain number of characters but not limit others. It's either all or nothing. We really think this script would be best with standalone scripts that we can modify and make as many as we want, even if we do lose CP controls. It seems like a lot of the flexibility of the old SlashUBB is being sacrificed just to be able to have CP controls.

Any help for any of these issues would be appreciated. Thanks.

[ May 23, 2001 04:47 PM: Message edited by: MasterMind ]

Developer
Developer
ramirez: for all that is holy, please fix ure quote so that it doesnt screw up this page. smile

quote:
you are! damn. i wonder why it isn't working for some of us. Jeez this hack has the potential to be perfect. It is perfect for 1 website with not very many forums but with me with 5 websites that use the same UBB, i need different templates for each news and i need forums oveer 9 to work! too bad mr. bond isn't really going to work on it anymore. we need someone else. i would but i don't know how.

Everyone- I spent a while today coding, bugfixing, etc - I'll release a fixed version with many things improved tomorrow. You will no longer need to add that base href thing to your page - this does it automatically, and then invalidates the base href after the displaying of the news, so it doesn't mess up your other images on that page. There are some other misc. changes as well, such as ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ubb_news works, and more. I hope JB007 doesn't mind that I'm working on improving it wink

-DT
Hey DT? How about an upgrade or modification for those of us at this point who have already altered alot of their board to get this new version working? wink

Alright here is my problem, I did all the hacking right, but when i try to see the news in my test.shml file on my site it,
1} Doesnt show up.
2) It Says [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Here are my UBB News Settings.
News on/off = Yes
Caching = On
Forums to grab from =1
How many topics to grab from each forum? = 10
Use characters limiting feature? = No
If yes, how many characters to display?= "blank"
Maximum forums to be called via URL = 3
What is the template you'd like to use? = MyTemplate

The HTML of my Test File is.
Code
code:

Anyway, SSI has worked on the servering i am useing now so what else can it be? Hope you could understand all of that. laugh

pain is a necessary thing for success
quote:
Sorry, didn't realize it spread the page out. I hate that too, so I understand frown Basically, the code is giving me errors whenever it tries to do an flock function. I'll try DT's version when it comes out and see how it works.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Albert, you might try a different SSI command, check the SSI tutorials in the database for a few examples.

Also, you might put a / in front of the path you are using to make sure it is using the correct base path /cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi

DT, look forward to your update, JB has said he is busy...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Halfbreed-

The major changes are the coding inside ubbnews.cgi & the template itself (also a renaming of ubbnews.cgi to ubb_news.cgi because well...let's face it, everything in the cgi folder starts with ubb_ ;))

Anyhow, I'll try to make an upgrade documentation smile

Other than that, I added a way to call the ubb news through ultimatebb.cgi, and a link that can be clicked to view them which you can place. If you run it from ultimatebb.cgi, it is who's online compatible. Eventually I'll integrate the who's online aspect of it with a recoded version of Ghoste's home online hack (a hack which traces people on the main page), and more cool

Stay tuned, the release will be later today! laugh

[ May 24, 2001 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]

-DT
Thanks for your help, i tryed everything with the SSI, but then the host said i could use PHP instead of SSI and so i did. following what the host said, it told me to do this.
Code
code:

But for some reason it tells me when i go to test.php3, it tells me this Unable to include 'cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?forums=1' - request execution failed Have any ideas on what i should do now?

pain is a necessary thing for success
I'll try to do extensive testing on the hack when I have the time since now I've upgraded to Windows2000 with IIS. DT you are free to modify the code as you like ... This is necessary to improve the hacking community and about the intergration with ultimatebb.cgi , I didn't take that step and won't take it because this will force the load of some heavy modules which I don't want to load just for some two or three simple functions. Anyway, you do what you think is the best. I think I'm gonna recode the hack again wink

JB007- Adding a call from ultimatebb.cgi shouldn't be too bad; just a way to get there from another location, and track who gets there from the UBB with who's online laugh

Oh yeah...I wasn't home, at all, yesterday, and the day before an emergency came up and I couldn't finish fixing the base href nullification. It'll be done later today. Count on it cool

-DT
woo! looks good smile

Developer
Developer
al, try:

or

That is what I used on my php test page and it worked.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
nice work, tho it's not quite finished as it still needs quite a few bugfixes and wordlets... moving to "beta".

You can open a new thread in here once this is in finished form...

not picking on you, I will be going through the finished forum in the next 24 hours and moving those that aren't finished to beta...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
DPK: I owe you big time smile. I've been trying to figure out how to get a cgi-script to work in PHP !!

Ok, got some bugs:

* Only a few forums work for me. I currently have forums 1,3,4,8,9 and 10 (the others are either private or non-existent anymore).

I can use forum 1,3 and 4 with ubbnews but when I try 8 and 9 I get nothing. 10 just returns forum 1's posts.

Update: Ok, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't with 1,3 and 4. Sometimes it works after I clear the cache - sometimes not. I can't really find a pattern here.

* The title of the forums and the posts doesn't match. When I get posts displaying - most of the time the title of the forum and the posts don't match at all. I get the title of Forum 1 and the posts of forum 3 (which is the forum I wanted).

It's a great script that I probably will use as soon as it is a bit more bugfree.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/cgi-bin/forum/ubbnews.cgi?forums=9 - this is the forum I want to draw the news from.

/Björn

I upgraded to 6.04e and now is coming up blank on my news.shtml

Does anyone know if it works on 6.04e or are there any changes in the code?

Board Here

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63