Rate Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
GREAT HACK!!!

[ June 15, 2001 08:46 PM: Message edited by: NitroSimSev ]

Sponsored Links
http://rapzone.source4webmasters.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
why does it only show an empty box???

please help slurpee

Im getting the same problem, it will only show a white rectangle where the news is suppose to go, but the news doesn't show up, i turned it on, and double, or even triple checked everything, i can't figure out what the deal is, can anyone help me? confused

MrQ Offline
anyone think there is a multihack install of this hack?

problems...

http://216.185.53.6/cgi-bin/vw/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi

the news fader refuses to go the same width as the board

[ June 19, 2001 07:06 PM: Message edited by: vwdevil ]

Sponsored Links
Hey Slurp. This is kinda hard to explain but if you look on my main page you may see what I mean.. Check out my ubb by looking in my sig.. Thanks in advance. wink

Sorry. I figured it out. Let me join the team by saying.. GREAT HACK! laugh

ok, i have the news fader installed on my board and it works great. but one problem, the total topics and total posts won't show up newhere??? o.0 i did the hack right so can someone pleaz help. and yes i did press the button for both to show up...

On My board I'd like to have the fader ABOVE the "Forum Topics Posts Last Post Coaches" line on the table.

What should I move to do that (and where)?

ok I noticed slurpee that your UBB has allready been upgrade to 6.05 as has mine

but i did your doc instructions TO THE TEE
and all i get is a white bar at the top of my forum catagories on my forum summary page

in my CP the news fader IS ON and the news image is not

i did how ever figure out why some people are having trouble with thier server writing to the newsfader.txt on my server it need to be chmoded to 775 (and yes i mean 775 because since it is a TXT file if it was 777 it could be writen by anyone from the web) that was they ONLY way i could get the CP to change what its contents are.

anyway i think you should make that a variables file or something not a damn TXT

and uh can you look at my UBB and see whats up?

GSX UBB

oh and i downlaoded the 2.0 zip about an hour before i made THIS post

OH and thank you or anyone for any help i love this hack and great work yadda yadda yadda

[ June 28, 2001 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Murassmeblade ]

[insert irony here]
Sponsored Links
the mod installed fine, but instead of having just 1 fader bar, i have over 14, 1 below every topic. and just to take the piss, neither actually has text or fades.

ive disabled it 4 the min

Ok to all those having problems, let me just tell you I haven't really had time to respond recently here, so I apologize.

The hack works as documented just fine on 6.05, and earlier verions. If it doesn't work you aren't following the directions carefully enough. Trust me on that, it DOES work. Re-check all of your work.

With regards to width issues. At least 15 people have emailed me asking how to get the fader to work as a percentage, like 50%, 100% of a table cell. It CANNOT BE SET to work like that, it has to be set by character length. That's not my doing, that's just how the fader was written.

Also the reason the news is written as .txt is because I planned to use it as an SSI on my site at some point, so it is done that way for my own benefit. So if you don't like it that way, feel free to write it into a variable file, but I'm not going to be doing that.

Hi, I'm having problems with my news fader, it doesn't show up for me... I think I've done all the things in the readme file... Strange, please help...

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
URL?

Im telling you i did EXACTLY as the instructions say can you please just check your instructions and test them as they are written on a test ubb cause its not working on my ubb all i get is a small white bar across the top of my forum/category list where the fader should be

or someone can you help me?

my ubb url is in my other posts up there

[insert irony here]
$newslinefader in public_forum_summary.pl

In my forums, I made it like that:
Code
code:
and it worked. Try it yourself.
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
That's really weird...

I think it's because of
Murassmeblade

I just had a look at your board and i see the white line

I noticed that you have it above

Forum Topics Posts Last Post Moderators

From memory it should be under them so I would say you have the code in the wrong place in the?

If you tells us what part of the code you put it we may be able to help you fix the problem

Wheelieâ„¢
opps sorry must have double clicked frown

[ July 02, 2001 04:46 PM: Message edited by: AceWheelie ]

Wheelieâ„¢

Hey, I just installed the hack. Its working really well, but I had to make the altcolumn colors from 1 to 2 for some reason to fit my current color style. Other than that the hack is great, keep it up.

After all that gripping and whinning from me

it took the simplest fix from the marvelous LK to help me out lmao gee ::wonders if the doc should be left in such a messy manner:: lol j/k

annyway thanks LK works perfect even aligned in under my WOL like i wanted it in the first place

[insert irony here]
Slurpee

Have you though about making the hack so its possible to display different news for each cathegory or forum.

I think it would be great if the newsfader could have shown up in every forum (at least if its enabled for that forum) and show some news related to what that forumgroup has as a main theme.

Also, that would be a nice future, if you are hosting forumgroups for others(letting them have their own forum). That way they can decide their own news to be displaid.

A good idea? laugh

[ July 14, 2001 01:16 PM: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

This hack does not work with the Ticking Clock Hack. Could someone fix this error so they can both work togeather. Thanks smile.

//i wanna scream, show the world i have an inside.
i wanna bleed, let the blood flow, that keeps me alive.
JJS Offline
Slurpee:

Help. I posted this in the V6 Mod questions but secured no replies...

My newsfader hack is working fine (great hack, btw) yet whenever I attempt to add a hotlink to the text I end up with an error.

Here is the line of text I'm attempting to add:

"Click on this link

Today's Active Topics
","",

The " in the hyperlink has been replaced with a ' as your instructions require--yet I'm still generating the error.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

AthenaLink's Talkback Forums

This is probably a newbie problem, but I am a newbie so:

Why doesnt it update the news fader line after I change it in the CP? It goes right back to the original one frown

Hey Slurp.. It's me again. ;D

Well my problem is yet again the same as earlier, so check this out: http://forums.thunderwave.net

Rzenik - Make sure that you chmoded the newsfader.txt file 777. See if that does it.

Afterlab - What seems to be wrong, it looks ok.

JJS Offline
Slurp:

No words of wisdom for me? frown

I want hotlinks in my newsfader. Must have hotlinks! Hotlinks.

The line of text I've shown above is NOT the last line yet when I enter it exactly as shown I generate an error. I'm using 6.04f.

JJS

AthenaLink's Talkback Forums

JJS - What you have is correct, didn't want to respond without a real answer. It should work. What is the error you are getting?

[ July 18, 2001 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Slurpee ]

JJS Offline
Slurp:

The Fader just gags (nothing displays). As soon as I take the reference to the hotlink out---it goes back to working fine.

JJS

Slurpee, Master of News Fader laugh

I may have a bugreport for you.

I discovered that after installing the News Fader 2.0, and putting some news headlines in the fader, my forum summary page got so big that it took serveral seconds to load the page.

So I right clicked on the page, choosed "View Source" in IExplorer, and found this;
The Newsfader code, along with all your newslineheaders, are repeated in the code as many times as your number of active forums.

If you have 20 forums, then all that code shows up 20 times in html source.
And that make indexfile grow so big, that many people with slow connections must wait forever to get the site loaded.

As I not permanently online for the moment, I have to refer to another site as an example.
Take a look at this site HERE.
When you have loaded the page, right click and view the source html code, then you will see what I mean.

Is there a way to bugfix this, so the newslinefader code appair only once in the html source code?

I also have discovered something strange.
When I view my page with 800 x 600 resolution the newsheadlines are centered and everything looks and works perfectly.

If I change the resolution to 1024 x 768, the newsheadlines are no longer centered, they show up more to the left side in the fader.

Is there a way to make the headlines show up centered independend what screen resolution is used?

And, at the end....I might have a "onload" problem that makes conflict with other javascripts.

I have the Top Navigational Bar II installed, and it is working great on the whole UBB, exerpt from on the forum summary page, and the categories page, where the News Fader 2.0 shows up.

I also have the Dynamic-FX Slide-In Menu (v 6.5) installed, and that is showed on EVERY page not conflicting with the News Fader, and not conflicting with the Top Navigational Bar II.

If you are interested to have a look into the problem I would appreciate it. There might be others also using javascript menubars that cant get those to work and dont understand why.

Any idea what could be the problem?

[ July 19, 2001 10:00 AM: Message edited by: kaukagaul ]

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
You're right.

in public_forum_summary.pl:

Code
code:

[ July 19, 2001 11:00 AM: Message edited by: LK ]

LK thanks a lot [Linked Image]

That redused the heavy load on the page, and the newsfader works as before without any problem.

Thanks laugh

Ah good catch kauk and thanks for the quick fix LK! I will be upgrading to the News Fader to 2.1 to account of this fix. I am also putting the change in a bit different place than LK, but the same result.

Also with regards to the centering changing on resolution change: it is nothing that can be fixed. The News Fader JS code was written in such a way where it can only be defined by characters, not by width percentages. So that's why you have to pick a resolution size you like and deal with the reprecussions of other resolutions being used. It sucks, but I didn't write the code.

Finally I don't know why this hack would conflict with other JS enhancements. I have other JS stuff on my main page and it works fine. All script commands are closed properly, so I don't know what the conflict could be.

Anyways look for upgrade fix if you need it in my file in about 15 minutes.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
It does conflict with other JavaScript things that are activated onLoad. It's not the news fader's fault, though, I think it's because there can't be 2 onloads in a different place. In the MSN Center hack I added a fix to the News Fader and Hier Menus, that on MSN's onload it will call them. Maybe you can do the same in yours,
Kahuna
Kahuna
what, in short, are the known still existing mod conflicts with this hack?

Someone would have to tell you, as I have no conflicts with anything on my board and I've got a sh*tload of mods. But there are some JS conflicts apparently. (See LK's post above)

Anyways, we are now at 2.1 with the updated fix.

LK - Will look into your idea, although really no way for ME to test it since I don't use mods that have onload commands.

Slurp: my problem is that the second headline is the link for the first one.. Move your mouse of the first headline and look in your status bar, it says the link would be going to 7/16/01: Whatever the headline says.

Hard to explain, but I hope someone understands.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Yours is
Code
code:
, should be
Code
code:

Yep LK is right, I just looked at your page source and was about to correct it, but no need now. smile

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63