Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
LadyFire,

As soon as I have a decent server, I'll add the link to message boards in my profile. Then you can go there, and exchange SHW files with other people as you please [Linked Image]

Expect that to be done hopefully by the end of the week. I found a nice new host, and it seems pretty fast. I want to see what restrictions I'll have, otherwise, we will be ready to roll shortly.

------------------
Author of Script Hack Wizard
http://www.scripthack.barrysworld.net

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
LadyFire, I'll need to check on licensing issues with Infopop, right now we are operating in a gray area with something like this. As soon as I find out, I'll post here.

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Allan, let me know too [Linked Image]

------------------

This is a REALLY incredible tool... But, Has anyone converted over a number of hacks that they can post?? I already had the two that are posted here but I was looking for some of the newer hacks like "personal messages"

Again.. Herc, awesome tool you have here!

------------------
~~BusBoy~~

~~BusBoy~~
We are waiting on Allan to find out from Infopop about any issues this may cause.

------------------

Sponsored Links
Actually I don't see how the shw files are any different from the hacks that are aleady allowed.

When they are created, you tell it what to replace, add, or delete and the file name to do it to. That means that you have to already have the files in order for it to be successful. I don't see how that would be a licensing issue...but then again...what do i know???

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That's where the problem lies... you might want to check the ubb license online and read the paragraph regarding modification of the ubb files, especially the last 2 sentences. We are operating in a gray area right now, but are working with Infpop to straighten it out.

A solution that doesn't require code snippets, but line numbers and such might be how we need to develop something like this. It would require starting with fresh files and selecting from the modifications you would like to add, much like the all-hack did.

As soon as I hear from them, I will let you know, getting v6 ready for launch is what occupies their time right now.

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Line numbering is ineffective, and will not work.

If the board already has hacks applies, the line numbers change EVERY TIME there is a hack applied, thus making that solution impossible.

If Infopop denies the authorization of ScriptHack files, then I'm going to be pretty suprised. It only helps their members get the most of their script, and really is no different than posting it onto a message forum.

------------------

Hey folks, just so you know..

I've updated my profile to reflect the NEW and hopefully permanent site for Script Hack Wizard. Please register on the forums, and post any questions you have there. I only ask that you post there, so that if anybody is having trouble they can also benefit from your posts.

Thanks.

------------------
http://www.digitalrice.com/scripthack

Hercules, if you need an easier name for your site I could give you(free, no ads) for example:
www.scripthack.place.nu
www.scripthack.24u.nu
www.scripthack.shopit.nu

In that way it doesn't mater which server your on, you just change the path for the redirection!

email me if your interested!

Sponsored Links
Hehe, lots of services like this around [Linked Image]

------------------

DR3 Offline
Herc, it sure sounds like a great program! Thanks for sharing it with us. Yes, there are a lot of redirection services. My favorite (the only one I'm really familiar with except my first one from v3 which had ads) is the one from http://www.cjb.net . That also has no ads. Perhaps you could use a few just in case one goes down.

Allen, it seems to me that it does indeed seem like a gray area. However, there is not really specific description in the license agreement as to which code it is referring to. Obviously, one couldn't take an entire script and distribute it. However, we're talking about sections of code. The program, as has been mention before, does nothing more than do efficiently what we are doing now.

It seems to me, that this is almost like a Napster controversy, though I feel it's not as bad as the Napster (which I feel is okay). This program might make getting full scripts more tempting, but then again getting full scripts on the internet is also possible and likely as easily tempting.

Perhaps one solution is to find some text that appears in each UBB/Infopop made script in the comments or elsewhere that does not appear anywhere else in the script, or is not going to ever be changed or referenced to. And then you can make the program search for these sections of code and filter out the files that use that section of code.

I hope that made some sense.

------------------
--DR3, Dragon Reborn the 3rd.

DR3 Offline
Suggestion: Could you make it so the program can be installed where the use wants it on the hard drive?

------------------

Yes, as soon as I have time to upload it again, I'll fix that little hiccup in the install procedure. Sorry about that [Linked Image]

------------------

By the way, I updated my profile with a CJB redirection. This way, if I have to update my URL again, CJB will automatically point to the correct one.

------------------
http://scripthack.cjb.net

DR3 Offline
Thanks. Good job again [Linked Image]

------------------

hey could someone post all of there shw files, cos i cant figure out how to use the program. i must be pretty dense. so could ya help a fellow in need?

thanks much!

DR3 Offline
I'm just wondering how to create the shw files. Could someone, possibly Herc, give me a quick rundown about what to do with the text files to make them shw?

Do we just go through the text files telling it what to replace/add stuff after and then what to replace/add stuff after?

Also some hacks do things a little different and tell you what to put your code before. Could there be an additional button for adding stuff BEFORE other code or should we just find the code that we put the new code after?

Thanks again.

------------------

I'll put a tutorial up soon on the site.

I just formatted my computer today, so don't expect it immediately. You can always post questions in the message forums on the main SHW site. There are a few people there that might be able to help you out.

------------------

DR3 Offline
Alright, I've used it for a hack and got it to work. [Linked Image] It seemed rather picky, and didn't really work until I told it to replace code instead of adding code after other code...Essentially all you really need is replace...just add the code that you'd have put the new code after.

I hope that makes sense...The other times I've tried it should have worked, but didn't. But I did the most recent time. Cool hack. Takes a little while to create, but not too long. Installation is fast and easy though.

I think some other people were making something like this, but Herc beat them to it.

------------------

DR3 Offline
The program keeps giving me Runtime Overflow errors and it quits and I lose my work...[Linked Image] I hope it can get stable soon, as it is a very useful tool.

------------------

so, is this basically just a diff/patch program for win32? if so, i wonder how it handles different hacks that overlap?

for example, if you are using the karma hack, it modifies the way that profiles are read and written. if you install a hack that adds or modifies existing profile fields after you install the karma hack, you are required to make some changes by hand to how that hack is integrated into your scripts.

just curious, because i know how patch can complain about recursively applied diffs on C/C++/Perl code.

------------------
this is my witty .sig

this is my witty .sig
I haven't heard of any evidence suggesting a memory leak, but I'll keep my ears open.

Oh, and about hacks being applied to already hacked areas.. It won't work. If it doesn't find the matching text, it will uninstall whatever portion of the hack it installed.

------------------

DR3 Offline
It seems to me that it is can be used to its full potential by someone familiar with what they are doing so that they don't need a shw file, but rather create them on their own from regular hacks due to the previous hacks dilemna. Some things you might have to modify for your particular code only. But as far as I can tell you couldn't really make a program that could work around that problem.

Simply put, each added hack you install becomes more and more dependant upon the previous hacks. The last one you install is the first one you uninstall (and vice-versa). Probably the best thing to do if you think you'll want a large group of hacks together is to make a giant shw file that combines those hacks into one. For network people, it's like having a bus topology; if one goes down each of the following ones go down too. Perhaps one route to take is some sort of thing that comments out the code that was taken out so if it is needed later it could be retreived. When I started doing hacks (about a week or two ago), I commented and documented every change I made, including those added to HTML sections. (I had to use a different commenting system as CGI/Perl comments don't work in HTML). I suppose that would start making scripts larger and less efficient, but the documentation is valuable. One main thing I've done so far is documenting in a separate file all the hacks I've installed and intend to install. I also rank 1-10 the difficulty experienced/estimated for installing the hack.

------------------

I downloaded both the support files and the main setup file and when i tried to run the setup one, it said i didnt have all the files - so i ran the support one, andit said the same thing. am i doing something wrong? or am i supposed to do something else? any help?

What file did it say you were missing? The support files install has all the necessary files.

------------------

Ok, I first downloaded the setup.exe file. i tried to run it, but it said that i didnt have all the supprt files. So, i went back and downloaded the support.exe file. i ran that one and it said the same thing.

does that help?

No, I need to know the exact name of the error you got.

------------------

ok, i will download it again and see what error it is.

It says: Error reading Initialization file.

It says that for both of the support.exe and setup.exe for me.

There is no initialization file....

I have no idea what you did hehe.. I'd delete all the directories and everything out from Control Panel/Add Remove programs and then manually delete all the directories if anything remains.

Then try a reinstall.

------------------

ummm it made no directorys nor anything else.

ill try to download it again.

Keep in mind, download the Setup file.. the support files don't make any directories or icons.

I just downloaded it again, and the same error came up. i dunno whats the problem.

Brian, I have no idea what to tell you.

However, for those wondering - the site was down for a few days but is now back up. Hopefully it will stay that way! smile Though in the meantime, I'm going to be looking to find a more permanent host.

Herc -
I can offer you a scripthack whatever.coders-net.com sub domain with 75 megs, FTP, cgi/perl, and everything. wink

Email me.
[email protected]

We can talk..
I already have some buisness coming up with some other BBS's.

I have an older version of UBB (5.39) that has some modifications that are particular to my format and from a legal standpoint (copyright issues).

I would love to upgrade to a newer version and incorporate all the modifications I've made.

Will this program do the trick?

[ February 05, 2001: Message edited by: NBAustin ]

NBAustin,

This program simply makes installing and removing hacks a lot easier than it already is. It won't be able to import any hacked UBBs.

DR3 Offline
Have we gotten any word about the legality issues of this program?

Any update from INFOPOP Allen?

aaron

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63