Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Looking for a block of code to check to see if a URL exists. Must be easily perl4 compliant, and require no special external libraries (i.e. libwww which has a perl4 version but requires patches to the server and as a result is not defacto supported). I have no problem importing an external library into my source as a sub routine or function, when I say external library I mean anything requiring special server setup.

All I need is a true/false response if a URL, i.e. http://xyz.com/test.html exists on the Internet or 404 error.

I've seen alot of shareware programs do this, spiders, and all kinds of special Perl5 only utilities. I need something universal which works in perl4 and can be one routine i.e. "$result = my checkurl($URL)" or whatever.

Help! wink

[ March 13, 2001: Message edited by: hate98 ]

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Uhm, instead of trying to do something very difficult, I would suggest prodding the clueless sysadmin of whatever box you're on into upgrading to Perl5. Perl4 has traditionally contained all sorts of problems, including securty issues....

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
quote:
actually libwww is a piece of cake, and simple, simple routines to make it work once the server is updated locally. I saw demos on it which do what I want in 5 lines of code, and both perl4|5 versions exist. But what I plan on doing must be generic in nature across most platforms and not everyone runs perl5. It's for a UBB hack in production. I could be asking the impossible (or implausible, which is the better word to describe my dilemna.)

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Uh, if this is for a UBB hack, then it only needs to run in Perl 5.004, minimum requirement....

If you do not know the answer to the question originally posed by the author of a given topic, kindly just say so or skip it. It appears you do not have a solution within the parameters I asked about so let's allow others to try. This topic is not about the issues you raised and trust me when I say I have my reasons. I am trying to see if code exists in the realm I asked about so I do not reinvent the wheel. Thank you for trying to help. smile

If code exists only in Perl5 and/or an external library (i.e. libwww) is required, then so be it and I've got my answer.

-Jim

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Those that you mentioned would be the only solutons I know of. I would have asked the gurus in IRC or in clpm, but I would have been flamed to an utter crisp for even suggesting using perl4.

Trust me, it is not a good option and you should not consider doing it.

quote:
I understand fully and do tremendously appreciate your sentiments including what I quoted above. Thank you once again for offering your assistance. You may notice when I posted it to begin with that I was very specific about the criteria. That demonstrates I know *precisely* what weirdness that entails and I obviously knew all the modern solutions to code this.

Take care, Charles.

This thread can now be closed by moderator as I am searching for a needle in a haystack that caught fire and burned years ago! It's what I suspected, and Charles helped me confirm this.

laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63