Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
hey guys, i'm having some trouble understanding the differences between all of the different hacks like SlashUBB, ActiveThreads, etc.. What I'd like to put on my site are the top 3 threads that were posted to most recently.. my site doesn't get a large amount of traffic, so I'm trying to shake things up a bit.. I can't even seem to find SlashUBB anywhere, unless the one here in the databases on this site is supposed to be renamed to slash.cgi.. my friend runs the ISP that hosts my domain so I know I can use SSI, but how would I tie all of this together so my index page would have those 3 posts? thanks guys..
Colin

This message has been edited by Colin on October 21, 2000 at 12:35 PM

Sponsored Links
SlashUBB is meant to take the top however many topics out of one particular forum, like a news forum. Active Topics checks all the forums and sounds more like what you'd want. I haven't setup Active Topics yet, but my "boss" is working on it right now for our main page, and I just went and looked at the file [Linked Image]. There are only a few variable to change in active.cgi, then you upload it to your CGI directory and chmod 755 on it. Put your include statement in whatever page you want the active topics to show up on, and you're ready to go. Here's a link to Active Topics mod:
https://www.ubbdev.com/db/Forum8/HTML/000011.html

Ultimate Frisbee is good for you, it improves your symbolic logic skills.
ok, i downloaded both of the scripts... I'm tending to lean towards the Active Topic though because I think that it'll suit my site better.. I'm pretty new to CGI, and I'm a little confused here. I used Php on my website (to help ensure some sections that I'd spent hours and hours on from being 'stolen'). I'm having trouble even getting active.cgi from working. I get ISE constantly even though my perm's are correct.. I went to the website for it and found their instructions really vague. Does anyone know of a half-decent tutorial that will help me out? So far I set the variables in the script for how I'd like it setup (essentially left it alone) and then renamed it to active.cgi and tried to run it. I got the ISE so I tried to call it through an .shtml page, same resume. What would I be doing wrong?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This one should pretty much run out of the box... rename active.cgi, upload in ascii and set permissions to 755...

------------------
Allen

- http://www.stand318.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
If you can't get it working, you might want to try my Lastposts SSI hack that is very similar (plug) [Linked Image]

That's one reason I wrote it tho...much smaller and less complex code.
https://www.ubbdev.com/db/Forum18/HTML/000001.html

------------------
Neal 'Thradar' Ulen
Webmaster www.gamerforums.net
www.moviefanonline.com

Sponsored Links
thank you for your help guys [Linked Image] I'll be back in a few days once i get my board all finished up and show you how it all looks [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63