Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#93074 03/11/2004 6:25 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, I got an account (or three) when I heard that 1and1.com was offering free accounts in one of my game trader mag's so I figured I had nothing to loose. My experiance has been all but good, in fact I reccommend that NO ONE EVER use them for ANYTHING. Here I will review their services.

1. Domain Registration.
Well, at first I thought "Hey $6 domains, lets try it out, that beats anything I've ever seen!"... You definately get what you pay for... I registered my domain on January 10th, with their services you're REQUIRED to use their NS servers for your domains, and they had no where to update ns entries, upon contacting a tech I heard "we will soon be releasing the capability" and I asked them to update them for me and never got a response. Everyone here should know me by now, when I don't get a response I ask again and again until it's answered or I'm yelled at; all they did was ignore me.

Transferring my domain out of there definately sucked, you have to wait 60 days to transfer new domains from any registrar, so I had an inactive domain for 2 months that I could do nothing with, it halted the production on one of my projects by 2 months and costed me about $300 thus far.

2. Email
Well, you can't use your own username, you have some randomly generated character usernames which are definately easy to misplace. You can use 10 email addresses, no more. You also must use their pop/smtp servers, they don't set your domains up to look like their yours, definatly a down with customers who use your email services. My mail took about 8 hours to deliver (tried about 5 times), which is worse than even hotmail and AOL, one would think that someone attempting to be this professional would at least humor me with a good email service, well I was wrong again.

3. Web Hosting
Well, if you do your own DNS maintanance you can forget it, with this service they require you to use their DNS servers, so you can't forward your DNS servers like every good webmaster would not want to do. I use my own NS servers so that I don't have to worry about subdomain limits, and so I can maintin my IRC server addreses without having to mess with a server config every other day (which most people who have their sites hosted somewhere that they don't work they won't be able to and will drive their host mad).

Their webhosting interface sucks, you can add a domain quite easily but trying to map what webspace you want to use with what domain is the largest PITA i've ever seen, especially since the application they use to show what directories you have in your webspace doesn't show all the directories...

All I wanted to do was forward mydomain.com to /space/mydomain and forward myotherdomain to /space/myotherdomain but their directory utility wouldn't even show /space... Evidently for it to show the directories you have to create them through the web interface and not FTP...

Speaking of FTP, it uses the same type of usernames as i mentioned above, and it'll time you out after 1 minute of inactivity... So if you're sidetracked you have to reconnect and when theres 60 other users on the same server as you, you're not getting on.

4. Tech Support
Should I say lack there of? I tried a few times to discuss with them about my needs of needing to host my own dns as I need to use subdomains for my clients and my IRC servers and since their systems don't allow me access for either of these it's an impossiblity to use them to host my DNS, eventhough my A record is forwarding to their site...

All in all, I'd rather use tripod for my webhosting than 1and1, at least their setup works. I give 1and1 a rating of 1 out of 5.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
#93075 03/12/2004 10:11 AM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Don't even get me started on their MySQL setup....

#93076 03/12/2004 12:57 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Lol agreed... I spent 3 hours talking to their tech support on how I can host my own DNS so long as I had them set as the A record for web browsing and an MX record for email... I said the word "crap" and they replied "We don't appreciate your cursing"... They located in Salt Lake City by chance?

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
#93077 03/12/2004 3:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I'm not sure honestly. I was parking my .net there to do development on so I didn't break my production database, but the second I loaded my PHP stuff, I could not get the scripts to execute in a sane manner and said "It may be free, but its not even worth that"

#93078 03/12/2004 4:09 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Agreed totally. I couldn't get anything MySQL related to function properly, I had a copy of PostNuke that I know will work in almost any environment, and it took a while to just get that to function...

And now, supposidly i know nothing about the DNS protocol and it's supposidly impossible to just forward the A and MX records to a host and have it function properly...

Their staff needs to go back to college...

Sponsored Links
#93079 05/05/2004 1:01 PM
1and1 sucks! I transferred a domain to them and lost all use of it. They assigned their own name servers with a lengthy delay in being able to enter your desired settings. And then I could not enter all the setings I had under my previous registrar. I had to set up a new domain at my previous registrar to substitute for the one I lost at 1and1. They are horrible.

#93080 05/05/2004 1:12 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
How's their dedicated servers? I saw an ad that looked like decent servers for ~$99 per month. It was a p4 processor, 1gb ram, etc...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#93081 05/05/2004 6:59 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I heard those even suck. If you want a good dedicated server go with AIT , no real support but hey if you mess something up it's all done by you :x...

#93082 05/12/2004 1:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I get nag messages from 1and1 weekly because I changed my nameservers for my .net domain. It may be free, but it just is ****ty for advanced users.

#93083 05/12/2004 7:08 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Oh yeh, I had 4 accounts, had about 8 domains distributed over them, I get spammed left and right by this company! The worse part is, once you add a domain, you can't remove it, there is no option; so you always get nagged to change your ns servers back...

It's funny, they never stop, but they always say they will... "you have untim march first to change your name servers back or we will remove the domain from your account" then each email is about 20 days after...

Sponsored Links
#93084 10/28/2004 9:41 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ok, so I got my PC Magazine in the mail today; I'm sitting here thumbing through looking for something interesting to read...

What do I find on pages 57-72? 16 pages of advertisements for 1and1.com... Yes you heard me right, 16 full pages of advertisements in one magazine...

Now, as I abandoned my webhosting with them due to lack of features and crappy service and had to block their weekly spam through my mail client itself I was definately not expecting 16 PAGES worth of advertisements lol...

If you want a laugh though, take a look at Nov's PCMagazine...

Now i guess service is one thing that can be understandable; but page 72 lists "Register domains for $5.99 per year!"; what they dont tell you "you have no access to edit your dns settings for your domains to use them with another webhost and you cannot transfer out for 2 full months!"

:sigh: i have no luck...

#93085 10/28/2004 10:39 AM
Veteran
Veteran
well I guess we now now where the support money goes to wink

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
#93086 10/28/2004 9:42 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I just have to wonder, how the hell much does a 16 page advertisement cost? lol.... I'm canceling my sub, every month the ads get larger and larger and the content gets less and less... It's really beginning to be pointless to even get...

I mean, I get the 1-3 page foldout ad's, and even the occasional 3 full page ad's; but comeon, 16?

#93087 12/06/2004 4:54 PM
Here is a little warning to you all...NEVER go with 1and1.com for any webhosting solution!!! ...

They offer the lowest price I have found for a dedicated server but it ain't worth even a penny.

My PHPNuke website was down just about EVERYDAY for the three weeks I hosted my website on their DEDICATED servers!!! They only allow you to have ONE database user per database and anyone who runs an active PHPNuke website knows that you need multiple database users.

1and1.com is really 1und1.com and is a German company that has opened up shop in the USA.

I live in Germany and hosted a website on their servers in Germany years ago...they sucked then.

I figured I would give 1and1.com a try since they opened up in the USA and see if they improved...BIG MISTAKE!!!!!

Actually they will not EVEN let anyone in the EU host a website on their USA servers. Only Americans and Canadians (I got around this by using my mom's address in California when I registered with them)!!! They do this becuase they also provide webhosting in the EU but charge about TWICE as much. They know there is too much competition in the USA to use the prices they have in the EU.

I have nothing against Germany (I actually love living here) or the German people (I am married to one!!!) but those of you who have been here know that they do not have a clue about customer service.

1and1.com advertises 24/7 telephonic tech support...THIS IS A TOTAL LIE. They never once picked up the phone when I called in the middle of the night. All I got was a recorded message that I had reached TECH SUPPORT and then a busy signal. This did not happen just once...IT HAPPENED EVERY SINGLE TIME FOR THREE WEEKS!!!!

They do not have cPanel. They have a custom control panel that has hardly any functions.

Am I pissed off??? Just a little and so would you if your website was down for hours EVERYDAY because the company you are hosted by has not a clue about server administration or customer support and blatently lies about customer service.

Tell EVERYONE that you know NEVER to host a website with 1and1.com or 1und1.com.

I am damn glad that I have moved my website to a REAL dedicated webhosting company. I now pay twice as much, but I have twice as much server and the website stays up.

#93088 12/06/2004 9:22 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh, sounds like a 1and1 ex customer there wink ... Trust me, I understand your position completely lol...

It's interesting though, when renting a dedicated server one generally gets full access as most of the time they're unmanaged; from what I understand about the 1and1 dedicated servers you get to use what they want you to use and nothing else.

1and1 constantly advertises in pcgamer and a bunch of other US magazines; I canceled my free hosting with them (the offered a free hosting deal for a while) and free wasn't even worth having to settle over their services...

Anyone know if 1and1 actually lets you manage domains that you've purchased through them now? When I bought 5 of my domains I had to basically harass their support staff for 6 months to allow me to transfer my domains to a real registrar that allowed some control over the contact information and ns servers (they expect you to use their services and only their services, when i contacted support they seemed dumbfounded that i wanted to use a differant webhost)...

HostNuke has a P4 3GHZ server for $189 with an option of 3 control panels (I'm slightly biased as I work on the support staff, but I went to HostNuke well before I worked there) and actually allows you full access to your server (with remote reboot should the server lock up).

#93089 12/28/2004 7:48 AM
Yikes!

I know from having had several web hosts over the years, that even the best host is not perfect for all people. I am surprised at the lack of this same understanding from UBBDev posters. Every host has good reasons for what they do, but even the best can and do make mistakes. Try typing the name of any web hosting company in Google and add the word "sucks", you'll see what I mean.

While I am not currently a 1and1.com customer, I must admit that I checked them out after reading this post! I too was astounded by their lengthy print advertising. But I suppose the competition in the hosting market is so fierce they don't have too much choice if they want to grow in the US.

The features they offer are exceptional for the price. Some hosts out there don't even offer phone support, so some phone support is better than none. My instinct tells me that more advanced site owners really shouldn't need as much support from their host as newbies and shouldn't be surprised if they know more tahn some average tech support guy.

Looking at posts around the web from angry 1&1 customers, it seems that most of them were "freebie" customers who were only really promised email support, but expected more. These freebie accounts were given away over 1 year ago, but still there continues to be moaning...

As for 1&1 keeping mysql databases on a seperate server from your site, it may be a bit more work to make connection strings, but it does seem like it might have some security benefits.

I will likely give 1and1.com the benefit of the doubt and use their root server for an up coming project. I know I will be responsible for backups, updates, etc. but the price and server config is pretty good. I can pay someone else to manage it well for me!

I called their Info Line phone number (only waited 4 minutes) and they assured me that with regards to their emails, I could easily remove myself from all 1&1 mailings by changing my "preferences" for such mailings in my 1&1 customer control panel. They answered all my pre-purchase questions fine (but none were too overly technical).

I do understand the angst of previous posters, but would remind readers that angered consumer voices are always more prevelant than happy ones.

I always make a decision on my own and try to take all reviews/experiences with a big dose of skepticism. Just be careful what you buy, read the fine print, and know when to "bail out" if something doesn't meet your expectation.

Just my .02
g33k3d 4 sure

PS - Best Wishes to the UBBDev Community in the coming New Year! May your Forums grow and your web hosts not crash...

#93090 12/28/2004 10:14 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
My complaints didn't only cover "free" accounts (although you do need a "business" account to utilize PHP).

One major complaint was that when using their registry you had ultimately no control over my domains, in fact I had to have them update my contact info and had to wait 3 months (90 days) to get my domain transfered to a registrar who would allow me to use my own choice of webhosting. They kept promising and promising that the domain maintenance setup would be completed but I got tired of empty promises.

As for their spam, i still get mails from them, i just blacklisted their address.

As for support, I tried them once and sat on hold for an hour, i hung up and sent them an email to their "online tech support" and got a response 3 days later.

As for hosting, I woudln't even think of using them for "virtual" hosting, it's not worth it to me based on my past experiances with them directly; I woudln't even recommend it to my worse enemy...

#93091 01/10/2005 4:09 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ok, this is just great, I had to post again just to let you all know...

I just got a bill from 1&1 today for a domain registration on one of my domains (hackerstavern.com)... The problem here is that this domain has not even been near their registration services since the 90 day transfer period lapsed (domain was registered in 2003)...

They have no control over this domain registration in the first place; I can't wait to get the notice that they're going to turn it over to collections...

How's that for service... You can see a whois here ... They just keep giving me reasons to complain :x...

#93092 01/12/2005 4:14 AM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Ok, I emailed them from my email I recieved on the 9th, they responded later on the 10th stating that they removed the invoice....

Guess what I just got at 12a on the 12th? Another invoice on the same domain that once again isn't registered through them... Got to love them...

#93093 06/23/2005 12:07 AM
Nazi's of the Internet.

1and1 is the WORST host/registrar on the web. Most domain name registrars do not use threats, intimidation and extortion to renew domain names, But, one and all, 1and1.com DOES. Just have a look at this gem from 1and1 billing:

Reminder
Mr.

701 Lee Road
Suite 300
Chesterbrook, PA 19087
USA
1&1 Internet Inc.
Dear 986987697,

Our declined debit note informed you of the current amount due to your customer account, and we politely requested settlement.
Unfortunately, we have not to this date received payment and therefore will have no alternative but to terminate our services.

Invoice ID Invoice Date Currency Amount Net Due Date Dunning Level
USA .com/.net Domain II
USA .com/.net Domain II
5.99 $ 01 06/15/2005 06/15/2005

Total amount due $ 5.99
In Accordance with our Terms and Conditions we will place a temporary freeze on your 1&1 package(s)
in 3 days unless you reply to this letter or we receive payment in full.
If payment is not made in full within 10 days, we will have no alternative but freeze your account and
transfer this matter to a debt collection agency. In addition to any agency costs there will be a service
charge of $18.95 added to your outstanding amount and your server contract will be terminated.
Page 1 of 2
In order to reactivate your account, please transfer the outstanding amount to:
Citibank, N.A.
Account No.: 54348256 (1&1 Internet Inc.)
ABA No.: 021000089
When making payment please ensure that you quote your 1&1 customer ID and your invoice ID.
Upon receipt of the outstanding balance we will reactivate your account.
If we do not receive payment by 06/29/2005, we will have no alternative but to transfer this
matter to a debt collection agency. Any additional costs incurred (agency costs, default interest, etc.)
will be added to your account to be paid in full by you.
If you have activated a domain with 1&1, we retain the right to disconnect said domain.
Sincerely,
Your 1&1 Team
www.1and1.com

======================
Do yourselves a favor and find a registrar/host that understands that we sometimes are away from the computer for a few days.

Also, the control panel of 1and1.com is the worst peice of trash concieved by man.

Obviously, I will remit my fees and transfer all domains to a less threatening host/registrar.

These buisness practices - regardless of the TOS - are illegal. Anyone want to begin legal action against this company, contact me.

#93094 06/23/2005 4:26 AM
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
They sound really lame indeed bigshock Though besides Gizzy, I don't think you'll find here anyone who used their services to join your case.

#93095 05/24/2006 5:29 AM
you guys are sooooo dumb....i think you dont kno what you are talking about...i've been a customer with 1and1 for 2 years now and they've been so great....dns management and stuff like that are totally amazing...i think you guys just don't know how to use the control panel...i am not a computer geek but i totally know and very comfortable how to use it!1!!!

#93096 05/24/2006 10:19 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
YMMV

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
#93097 05/24/2006 5:20 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I know precisely what I'm talking about, and I started this thread. Not only have I 50 domains and several communities built from them (meaning I know how to use just about any control panel), I've also worked for a webhost and been involved in several startups...

It's not brain surgery to use a CP; the fact of the matter is, 1and1 sucks and their support is atrocious.

I not only had issues with managing files (both FTP and GUI), but I had issues with support, the "domain management" system (or lack thereof).

Also, their domain management is a joke, at least while I was there; I had 0 access to my domain, when i had a simple request such as updating my A records for the domain I had to go through their support personelle as they offered no CP to access the domain, period. The domain was registered in their name, so i could not transfer it at all.

I stand by my previous statement, 1and1 is a horrible company, and numerous people concourr; what does that say when you're the onlyone defending them and calling us idiots... You're the pot calling the kettle black.

Gizmo #311242 08/12/2006 7:49 PM
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
I've been with 1&1 for about 3 years,
on a shared hosting package.

All was well until it came to upgrading my forums
to V7

After a import my database grew to 125mb
There limit is 100mb per data base.

Its stupid that i have 16 databases at my disposal
all at 100mb = 1.6gb of Mysql

But they wont move there limits period.

I'm on the look out for a new hosting company now,
in europe or the UK Preferred,
or even the states as your prices are
so low its unbelieveable....

BOOM 7.6.+ rocks....
Mark_S #311243 08/12/2006 7:57 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh, in the states it is really quite interesting due to so many datacenters, it'd seem that every other person is a webhost lol...

Gizmo #313318 03/02/2007 8:49 AM
User
User
I would also like to hear of the excellent sites.

Is there a list of the excellent web hosting sites on here somewhere?

Daryl Fawcett
Daryl Fawcett #313326 03/02/2007 5:47 PM
Power User
Power User
I haven't had much bother with Web Mania

Stephen G #313332 03/02/2007 7:16 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
If you have the money for a VPS, I like www.PowerVPS.com and www.WebIntellects.com

Gizmo #313377 03/05/2007 11:20 AM
Power User
Power User
Web Intellects is the one I'll go for when the time comes.

smile

Stephen G #313387 03/05/2007 5:08 PM
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Originally Posted by GEN
Web Intellects is the one I'll go for when the time comes.

smile
I've migrated several clients over there; and configured/maintained several vps accounts; they're nice!

Gizmo #316054 10/20/2007 10:50 AM
Lurker
Lurker
I guess it is different if you have only a small account with them or something, but I have a 1and1 Dedicated Server and there hasn't been a problem at all..

The thing is zippy quick and as stable as I let it be. I have full remote console access (terminal services) and it just plain works. Maybe this is all new sfor them as I've only been with them since February. I tell ya what though, it's FAR better than the VPS I had with aSmallOrange.

cgregg #316055 10/20/2007 1:00 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i use lunarpages (dedicated III) and couldn't be happier

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63