Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
I've passed on these links to a few of my friends and they went into immediate shock. A few even had to assume the fetal position in the corner because it just overloaded their mind and made their new custom built system looks like a cheap Fisher Price Toy. It was really that bad. wink

Once they came out of the shock their first reaction is to call Visa for a credit limit increase or immediately plan to knock over a bank. In other words, please don't click the links if you recently spent all your money on a new computer or if you have less than $5000 in the bank that you can spend. What you see here will keep you up at night trying to figure out ways to buy it! eek

http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm
http://www.go-l.com/laptops/hollywood/features/index.htm
http://www.go-l.com/monitors/index.htm

Sponsored Links
actually steve, I found out recently that it is an elaborate hoax. There's a bunch of things that give it away, if you'd like I can direct you to some sites that dispel it.

sorry to burst your bubble man. frown

I too was majorly impressed by this when I heard about it about a year ago. However it unfortunately isn't real and may in fact be a scam as they are apparently taking orders! eek

This is at least according to some research I've done.

here's where I found out it was a hoax... http://www.musicianchat.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000003 I had heard about this company earlier on another site.

They have several different aliases. One entry point actually has a js trojan and should not be entered less you have a patched version of IE or whatever you use. (scan for viruses now if I were you . frown )

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Nope, its not a hoax!

L had a booth at Comdex last month showing off each of their products. My friend ordered the 17" Hollywood Extreme laptop there and has just received it. Yesterday he ran checks and benchmarks and it was completely as advertised and ordered.

ComputerWorld just picked their monitors for their Annual Cool Stuff: Super-Geek Specials Guide .

The UK's Inquirer just had this article specifically dispelling the "hoax." (The UK's Inquirer should not be confused with the tabloid we have in the US.)

Lastly, that web page that was put up claiming it was a hoax is apparently eating crow about it now. They also point out that the trojan problem was related to Interland\'s own problems . Interland since wiped the trojans and patched their servers.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I was wondering how they might compare to the 'god box':
https://www.ubbdev.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/10/t/002370

but I can see it's not even close to these screamers... you think it'll play solitaire a bit faster? tipsy

Can't imagine how cool they must be... would literally fly through the UD files yay

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
wow. Thanks Steve. smile That really does clear it up. I'm going to relay this info to my forum where that post was made. I hope you don't mind.

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
A couple weeks ago I wrote about L\'s Computers For The Rich and Famous and mentioned the 17" Hollywood Extreme that my friend ordered. Well, I borrowed his earlier this week for a few hours (without his knowledge,) took some of it apart, and noted all the FCC numbers on the boards and components so I could search for their Original Design Manufacture (ODM.) I got it all back together and returned it to his desk. My friend still has no clue that his laptop was gone or that his warranty was voided until now. Actually, I'm just joking about the warranty, I was very careful so no one could tell that it was opened.

With the FCC numbers and a little sleuthing with the help of Google I discovered that the laptop's ODM was Clevo . Besides being offered through L I've found that almost identical systems are sold and rebranded under several other companies at almost every price range. These companies include Alienware , Sager , Velocity Micro , Voodoo PC and several other smaller resellers. Most of the rebranding is nothing more than a label and badge change, but some of the resellers offer special custom paint jobs or in Alienware's case a different designed case from the others. The guts are the same. Apparently Clevo also manufactured/manufactures for Dell, HP, Gateway, eMachines, and many other "laptop manufacturers."

In speaking with a Clevo rep I've found out their most active reseller is the United States is Sager, who also has its own set of resellers, some being better than others. PCTorque came highly recommended and I've found their own Talk Notebook forum (unfortunately it runs vB frown ) has a wealth of information on anything and everything to do with laptops. From reading the support forums once can also see that PCTorque seems to be very concerned with customer service and providing nothing less than a positive experience.

Through their forum I've found out about the upcoming Sager 8790 . It is an updated version of the L 17" Hollywood Extreme that my friend bought and it will be approximately $2000 less than what he paid. (Yes Learch! I had to bring it up again. ) I've almost certainly decided to order one as soon as its available through PCTorque. There are rumors that might be as soon as Wednesday, I can't wait!!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
arghh... I just ordered a Dell this morning smash

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Originally posted by AllenAyres:

arghh... I just ordered a Dell this morning smash
business or home?

the home systems I've had a lot of trouble with... (maybe just bad luck)... but someone told me that the business systems are solid.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 8200 right now.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
small biz smile it's an inspiron 8600. I normally have good luck with dell, hopefully this will too smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Over the years I've owned three Dell Inspirons, a Toshiba, two Gateways, a Compaq, a NEC, and a IBM.

Of those the only ones I liked and would buy again was the Toshiba and the first Gateway I had. The only reason I kept buying the Dells was because they provided financing. After all my problems with the Inspiron 8200 I'd *never* buy anything else from Dell again, including desktops and accessories. I'm sick of their support and the rules they have that keep the few good techs and customer service people they have from making you happy.

I'd cancel the Dell and take a closer look at Sager and Toshiba if I were you. If you're a member, Costco has a really tempting 17" Toshiba right now.

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
I own a Dell desk top, too late for the one's above. They drive a Hummer while I drive a mountian bike..

At least mine is a Pentium 4... Oh well

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I'm on a Compaq Evo N800c right now and loving it. 1600x1200 display and a gig of DDR memory on a P4 2.4 GHz. It has a combo DVD/CDRW drive and wireless too.

If I were to buy one for myself and not for work I would look at Toshiba for sure, and AlienWare of course but they tend to run hot.

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Alienware's are Clevos. Look at Sager, they run much less for the same thing with a uglier case.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My past history includes a handful of Dells, a couple of Toshibas, and a TI. All have generally been what used to be known as a desktop replacement/brick. These days they seem to be able to pack a lot more into smaller and lighter cases. While I'd love an ultralight for my next latop, I don't want one that requires external drive connectors.

I don't really have any say in terms of what machine I wind up with, as it is generally whatever the company is buying at the time. For the last 3-4 years its been Dell Latitudes, prior to that Toshibas. I don't travel as much as I used to, so it mostly stays docked. I usually get to ramp up the specs versus the standard, as they consider me a power user for some reason or another wink

I'll probably put in a request for a replacement to my current laptop within the next 6 months.

Veteran
Veteran
I want that sager 8790 in the worst way.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I wouldn't want any laptop that would cause me to have to carry a larger bag, or one with wheels for that matter.

Of course, I recently switch to a geekpak

Veteran
Veteran
I have an Inspiron 8700 that is a couple years old. I doubt I would need a bigger bag.

Power User
Power User
Ah ha Dell Fans, wonderful, I think, LOL laugh

I just dropped by from the forums @ talknotebooks.com

Wanted to let you know that a couple posters are mistaken in their statements that Alienware laptops are made by Clevo. That used to be the case. Alienware notebooks, as of last year, are now made by Uniwill (and if you check their website, you will immediately see that they harbor no resemblance to their stronger, yet uglier, brethen of the Clevo line).

Also, since this was brought up because of Go-L, I suggest perusing the talknotebooks.com forums- you'll find a review by one of our members (MEDDUDE) that purchased (and ultimately returned) one. We've also had postings from Go-L themselves. If you're interested in the Clevo line, definitely stop by smile

But if you want an 8790, ya have to get in line wink

Veteran
Veteran
I have an IBM T41p and I am VERY happy with it, best laptop I used in years. (this summer I was using a DELL I 8600 and didn't like it so much)

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I have a dell 4150, it's not that bad, fits in any size backpack... 40gig hd, 1.7gig proc, 32meg video...

OS: [Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1 (5.1 - 2600)]
Up-time: [5d 19h 26m 38s]
CPU: [1-Intel Pentium 4, 1196MHz, 512KB (50% Load)]
Memory: [Usage: 231/256MB (90.23%)]
Screen Resolution: [1400x1050 32bit 60Hz]
GFX: [MOBILITY RADEON 7500]
Network Interfaces: [#1 (3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible) - Packet Scheduler Miniport (100Mb/s) 15348.97MB In, 19863.80MB Out)]
Disk Capacity: [C: (9.76GB Free, 37.26GB Total)]

mmm, broadband...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Veteran
Veteran
Gizzy I won't say what's inside mine because of your weak heart condition tipsy

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
lol :-x..

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
The long awaited Sager 8790 is finally available for ordering and I placed my order Friday:

Sager 8790-S Notebook
Display: 17" WXGA+ LCD (WideScreen 1440 X 900)
Processor: P4 3.4GHZ Northwood CPU
Video: 256MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 (M11)
RAM: 1024MB 400DDR Dual Channel (2-512MB)
Main Hard Drive: 80GB 5400RPM
Media Drive: 2X DVD+R/-R/RW/CD-RW
Bay 2 Hard Drive: 80GB 5400rpm
RAID: Hardware Raid 1 configured with OS pre-install
TV Tuner/Subwoofer: NTSC TV Tuner/remote AND Subwoofer
Floppy Drive: No
Modem: 56K RJ11 Phone Modem
Network Card: 10/100/1000 NIC
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Battery: 8 Cell Li-Ion Smart battery
Wireless Network: Internal 802.11g TURBO (108Mbps) wireless
Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth
Card Reader: Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader
Camera: Integrated Digital Video Camera

Veteran
Veteran
I may not be far behind.

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
I got it today, and its nothing less than awesome. Only draw back is its weight. I'm working on a full review.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
sweet :jealous:

Lookin forward to the review smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
I definately want to read the review. I've decided that I won't be getting a laptop afterall, so I need to live vicariously.

New Laptop? New House? New Laptop? New House?

New house won.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
heheh, know what you mean Nav, I'm still running for my home computer an old dell server I bought back in 96 - a PII 233 with a 4gb HD laugh Can't spend it all on toys wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I'm only on a P4 1.7GHZ laptop with 256meg of ram; I so need more... It's a pain when you're forced to multitask all the time for work lol... But the RAM is only $60 or so for each 256mb stick, or double that for each 512 meg stick, which if I go that route I'd go for the full gig heh...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
:tap: :tap: :tap:

waiting for the review smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
its coming, its coming (soon)

Veteran
Veteran
so's Christmas. tipsy

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
My birthday is in less than a month :x...

Veteran
Veteran
Are you buying me one of these for your birthday?

Veteran
Veteran
well it seems a bit BIG for a laptop nooo?

Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Originally posted by navaho:

so's Christmas. tipsy
No this isn't a UBB release wink

Veteran
Veteran
found a review of my laptop, the IBM T41p
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=252

Veteran
Veteran
/stillwaiting

Veteran
Veteran
/me isn't going to reply to your PM till we get a review.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63