Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
Originally posted by Brad.loo:

First of all instead of improving ubb infopop has released two products. ubb.t which was just w3t with infopop's name on it. And ubb.x which is ubb with a database BUT you cant download it. Now from what I've seen here at ubbdev ip hosting isn't that good and its WAY overpriced. Do you think we (users of ubb.classic) are to stupid to run a forum with a database back end or something? if no then why not give us what we have been SCREAMING for over a year now?.

Your posting makes no sense and will probably be the reason the thread is closed tipsy

UBB.Classic has seen major improvements in each version since 6.0 and will into the foreseeable future. The interface continues to improve over an already industry-leading standard it set years ago. There's still a huge market out there for message boards that are "newbie-friendly". You might have been on the net 6 months or more, but most people have never visited a message board and just don't know how to "work one". There's still hosts that don't support mysql databases. Many more reasons why a great message board with simple flat files will be useful and needed into any time in the future.

threads is not just w3t with IP's name on it now. the support rick has with threads has allowed rick to make huge leaps in functionality, speed, and interface design in the last few months... v6.3 - v6.4 will be the one to watch for as the v6 series begins to mature.

ubb.x is open topic (not ubb.classic) with a mysql database and actually an excellent choice for a message board if you don't plan to tinker with it much.

As I see the eejits who run "web hosting companies" increase daily, IP's hosting is looking better and better. For just one example I am very famliar with, check this thread:

https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=webhosting&Number=51478

20-25 cents per day more would have eliminated all of that.

Anything I missed? tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Content Queen
Content Queen
I really love reading about the comparisons between boards, webhosts, etc.

Seriously.

It makes me appreciate my UBB that much more, AND it makes me appreciate my webhost, too.

Sue
adwoff.com
I like UBB no doubt about that, but alot of people are changing. Thats the problem. Are you going to take any action on this at all?

Coder
Coder
The issue is not to change UBB as it is the "entry level" product as I see it for IP. Next step is UBBThreads for those needing larger systems. Problem is people do not quite see it this way.

Unfortunatly I see UBBthreads taking off in the future and its development surpassing UBB's own UBBDev as the product to use.

I agree, I think threads will get somewhere because of it's database.

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
I like UBB no doubt about that, but alot of people are changing. Thats the problem. Are you going to take any action on this at all?

quote:

In the span of 1 post you answered your own question.

Picture perfect penmanship here.
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
quote:

First of all instead of improving ubb infopop has released two products. ubb.t which was just w3t with infopop's name on it. And ubb.x which is ubb with a database BUT you cant download it. Now from what I've seen here at ubbdev ip hosting isn't that good and its WAY overpriced. Do you think we (users of ubb.classic) are to stupid to run a forum with a database back end or something? if no then why not give us what we have been SCREAMING for over a year now?.

Your posting makes no sense and will probably be the reason the thread is closed tipsy

UBB.Classic has seen major improvements in each version since 6.0 and will into the foreseeable future. The interface continues to improve over an already industry-leading standard it set years ago. There's still a huge market out there for message boards that are "newbie-friendly". You might have been on the net 6 months or more, but most people have never visited a message board and just don't know how to "work one". There's still hosts that don't support mysql databases. Many more reasons why a great message board with simple flat files will be useful and needed into any time in the future.

threads is not just w3t with IP's name on it now. the support rick has with threads has allowed rick to make huge leaps in functionality, speed, and interface design in the last few months... v6.3 - v6.4 will be the one to watch for as the v6 series begins to mature.

ubb.x is open topic (not ubb.classic) with a mysql database and actually an excellent choice for a message board if you don't plan to tinker with it much.

As I see the eejits who run "web hosting companies" increase daily, IP's hosting is looking better and better. For just one example I am very famliar with, check this thread:

thread at threadsdev

20-25 cents per day more would have eliminated all of that.

Anything I missed? tipsy

:rolleyes:

some host may not have mySQL but MOST host are banning flat file forums daily. face it, flat file forums are becoming less used every day. ubb.t may have a database and it may take off. but infopop is not looking at the real issue. users are moving away from them more and more every day. i give ubb.classic 2-3 more years if infopop dosent put a database behind it. but the way i see it. soon they will stop developing it and make us all "upgrade" to one of their newer porducts

*edit by CC to fix page expanding issue*

quote:
Originally posted by navaho.coffee:
quote:

quote:

The thing is, this should be done to UBB.classic too, not other products making us pay to switch.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Exactly. Good call LD.

My UBB is in the process of being taken down because my host told me one more week to get everything situated. I'm a lot luckier than the people who get it all deleted with no notice, but there is no way I am paying $75 for an "upgrade" to UBBThreads. Do you realize a leased license for vB is only $85, while a UBBT license is $229, and to renew every year with vB is only $30 while one to UBBT is $130!!! That is mad, why would anyone who wants to stay competitive overprice like that? Just because IP was the first to make a message board like this doesn't mean someone should pick it over a better, cheaper board run on something that a majority of hosts will accept.

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
Hmm, Dende, sorry to tell you this but it's $100 to upgrade tipsy

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
Holy crap! Even more than I thought. Did they raise prices again recently?

:-/

Thats expensive.

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by navaho.coffee:
quote:

quote:

But Threads isn't UBB. I know that you added UBB to the name (instead of wwwthreads) but it isn't UBB. Eventually it will have to happen and I have a few years of members access already paid for so I'll be patient.

Or lets just hope there are still alot of UBB-friendly servers still out there.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
:rolleyes:

some host may not have mySQL but MOST host are banning flat file forums daily. face it, flat file forums are becoming less used every day. ubb.t may have a database and it may take off. but infopop is not looking at the real issue. users are moving away from them more and more every day. i give ubb.classic 2-3 more years if infopop dosent put a database behind it. but the way i see it. soon they will stop developing it and make us all "upgrade" to one of their newer porducts

*edit by CC to fix page expanding issue*

what is the "real" issue? :rolleyes: You have no valid proof that "MOST host are banning flat file forums daily." That would mean all hosts banned it in the first week. There are thousands of web hosts out there, name 20 that have banned ubb.classic...

waiting...

didn't think you could either.

ubb runs fine on most well-configured hosts run by competent individuals. If you want a $5-10/month host that stacks 200-300 sites on one server... then you really do get what you paid for. Your blessed little vb will not run well on that host either. Why would anyone pay $200+ for forum software and not spend a little for decent hosting?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
The thing is, this should be done to UBB.classic too, not other products making us pay to switch.

no other company offers the breadth of software for you to have the opportunity to make that decision... name any other company with 4 forum solutions.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
quote:
name any other company with 4 forum solutions.

why does it matter when a person only needs one, and the cheapest (and "uncomparable") is almost $100 more?

you skip over people's arguments, then try to throw in your own invalid points.

specifically:

vB has a product running off of a more efficient db, while IP's nearest comparable product is still flat-file.

regardless if UBB.t is database driven, it is not available to the average user.

Developer
Developer
quote:
http://www.infopop.com/webhosting/

tipsy

With infopop's hosting service, does infopop give people ftp access to their server? Just wondering.

So if I pay all that money to get hosted by them and for the board, do I get privs to login and modify my files to add mods, etc when I want. Not saying I would though, happy with my current board setup.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ubb.x is less expensive than any of the other solutions, what's your point?

quote:

vB has a product running off of a more efficient db, while IP's nearest comparable product is still flat-file.

you are still comparing apples to oranges... different markets.

quote:

regardless if UBB.t is database driven, it is not available to the average user.

how is that? explain please

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
Originally posted by DPK.ducky.quack:
quote:
http://www.infopop.com/webhosting/

tipsy

With infopop's hosting service, does infopop give people ftp access to their server? Just wondering.

So if I pay all that money to get hosted by them and for the board, do I get privs to login and modify my files to add mods, etc when I want.

yes... ftp and ssh as far as I know. definitely ftp. I run a script here for team ubbdev occasionally updating it with ssh.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Developer
Developer
K, thanx for the reply Allen.

quote:
You do not have permission to enter this area.
Your doing I assume? smile Wish someone told me my privs were removed before I found out myself. I had a nice run with you guys. Keep up the good work. I don't really belong in there anyways anymore I guess, didn't do any work, hehe. Gonna miss the talk though.

wink

quote:

however UBB.x is NOT database driven. So as you say, "apples to oranges".

the only product that comes close to the same cost is inferior.

quote:

quote:

Not many people with personal web pages can spend hundreds of dollars.

do I REALLY need to spell it out?

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by heretic:

Actually it is database driven, it's just not available to anybody unless they use IP's hosting.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
(This post is no longer nessecary - was beat to the punch...)

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
(This post is no longer nessecary - was beat to the punch...)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
quote:
Originally posted by heretic:
quote:

the only product that comes close to the same cost is inferior.

quote:

quote:

Not many people with personal web pages can spend hundreds of dollars.

do I REALLY need to spell it out?

maybe I need to tipsy

ubb.x is open topic with a mysql database. You have complete access to the data within and can do quite a bit with it. Please check the info out on it before posting something equally as silly as your first statement:
http://www.infopop.com/products/ubbx/

The second statement isn't as silly, but is not quite logical either. Show me a personal page that ubb.classic can't work for... If you can afford classic, threads is only $30 more.

(ubb.classic is $49 more than vb and threads is $70 more than vb, begging the question, where are you getting your "hundreds of dollars" statement?)

BTW, you can still get a free ubb by winning our content rulez or member spotlight contests... isn't that right x? smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
No, you can get a free renewal. You have to buy a UBB to enter the contest in the first place. tipsy

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
true, free member area download privileges for a year... thanks for the correction smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
quote:
[QB(ubb.classic is $49 more than vb and threads is $70 more than vb, begging the question, where are you getting your "hundreds of dollars" statement?)[/QB]

Actually... you can get vB for $85(?) a year, and that be it. But whatever.

This whole thread seems pointless to me. If you don't like UBB don't buy it. No one is going to make you. If you already have it, then be happy that you have it. There is no reason to argue over it.

I, on the other hand, own both a vBulletin (unlimited) license, and a UBB license (and use both of them activately at the same time), and I do not like one more than the other. vBulletin I like because it has more features, UBB I like because it is more organized. So both have their advantages and disadvantages.

So go with what product you prefer, and if you REALLY have to say something about Infopop's pricing, then email them or something. UBBDev is not a place for complaints about Infopop's pricing.

Just my 2 cents. smile

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
And on that note, I'm closing this topic.

If you wish to continue arguing with each other, you can do so in private.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63