Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ok, so I have spent the last hour or so looking at files debating on where to begin on a hack like this... now I have a headache and I am still clueless, but I'm sure it can be done. smile

SO, I ask of our more Perl/UBB savvy members, if they can code up a small hack that would do/have the following:

Add an option to the Avatar CP to use custom avatar as default if one exists in a specified path. (i.e. /ubb/avatars/custom)

If this option is enabled, then if an avatar is in said path, it would auto-magically become the user's default avatar.

Although I realize it wouldn't write to their profile... perhaps tell them to go into their profile and have their avatar show up if available, similar to the original avatar hack?

I am not using the avatars available with the UBB, as they wouldn't fit my board's theme and every member has the option of sending in their own unique avatar.

As it is now, my users have to know the path to my custom avatars directory to set their avatars.

I figured a hack like this would be handy for many, then again I might be the only one. tipsy

Was just a thought... anyone think this is a good idea or maybe wants to give it a shot? wink

Thanks,

~Z

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I think it's a great idea.

First, your post was a little bit confusing to me, but that's just me, I'm exhausted. tipsy
But I see what you're getting at and like the idea.
Might have a look at this some sunny day. smile

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a good idea. wink

@ Idle... it's ok, I've gotten very little sleep myself this week what with a complete reformat of my server. tipsy

If you need clarification as to what I'm suggesting, just say so. laugh But I'll wait till tomorrow to answer. wink

~Z

"As it is now, my users have to know the path to my custom avatars directory to set their avatars."

But... then why don't you get rid of the avatars that come packed with UBB and place your custom ones in the /NonCGI/Avatars directory? confused

Maybe I should just shut up and start working, eh? laugh

Sponsored Links
Because there are no default avatars on my board. Only custom avatars.

My Guild plays on EverQuest. Each member's avatar is a pic of their main character. If I set them in the standard directory, anyone could use anyone else's avatar.

Although they could still do that now, by typing in another person's member number(.jpg)...

I just thought this would be an easier way for those of us who allow custom avatars and host them on our sites. smile

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Idle... I spent more time looking at the routines and though I've figured out how to edit the templates in UBB pretty well, I'm still not understanding all the routines to make my own hacks... yet.

It's a learning process. laugh

~Z

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63