Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Author: Gizmo/Gremelin (James of VNC Web Services)

Requirements:
Valid UBB.Threads 7.5.7 install and license (note, this will run on previous builds, but you'll need to apply the Stop Forum Spam modification beforehand).

About:
It occoured to me one night, while working on a client site, that spammers weren't just the "drive by" variety anymore (whereby they sign up, spam, and go on); in today's world we see an increasing number of "sleeper" spammers (whereby someone registers, they wait a while, and then spam). It hit me that when they register, they're a legit "no spam" user in spam databases, but when they begin their trouble they already have bypassed registration checks through any multitude of software packages.

I then decided to revisit my original Stop Forum Spam modification and look at the template mod for the registration check and apply the settings to the UBB.Threads login screen; as, since they're already registered and seemingly "legit", the login check would validate them every time they attempt to login; thus if they're now listed as a spammer, they can't login and, well, spam.

NOTE: If you're having problems with API timeouts ("Unable to Connect to Stop Forum Spam Database" error) you can adjust the API URL in login.tpl to use:
Code
	$xml_string = @file_get_contents("http://api.stopforumspam.org/api?ip=". $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]);

Versus the default:
Code
	$xml_string = @file_get_contents("http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip=". $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]);

In languages/english/stop_forum_spam.php:
Find:
Code
$ubbt_lang['SFS_DETECTED_INFO_1'] = "At this time your registration can not be continued.  Your IP address has been flagged as that of a known spammer/spambot via the ";

Add Above::
Code
$ubbt_lang['SFS_DETECTEDLOGIN_INFO_1'] = "At this time your login can not be continued.  Your IP address has been flagged as that of a known spammer/spambot via the ";

In scripts/login.inc.php:
Find:
Code
"wordlets" => array("login"),

Replace With:
Code
"wordlets" => array("login","stop_forum_spam"),

In templates/default/login.tpl:
Find:
Code
{* Script Version 7.5.8 *}

Add Below:
Code
{php}
$xml_string = @file_get_contents("http://www.stopforumspam.com/api?ip=". $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]);
if($xml_string != false) {
$xml = new SimpleXMLElement($xml_string);

if ($xml->appears == 'yes') {
{/php}
{$tbopen}
<tr>
<td class="tdheader" colspan="2">
{$lang.SFS_DETECTED}
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="2" class="alt-2">
{$lang.SFS_DETECTEDLOGIN_INFO_1}
<a href="http://stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/{$smarty.server.REMOTE_ADDR}" target="_blank">Stop Forum Spam</a>
{$lang.SFS_DETECTED_INFO_2}

<br /><br />
Powered by the <a href="http://www.virtualnightclub.net/" target="_blank">VNC Web Services</a> <a href="http://www.stopforumspam.com/" target="_blank">Stop Forum Spam</a> addon for <a href="http://www.ubbcentral.com/" target="_blank">UBB.threads</a>.
</td>
</tr>
{$tbclose}

{php}
} else {
{/php}

Find:
Code
</form>

Add Below:
Code
{php} } } else { {/php}
{$tbopen}
<tr>
<td class="tdheader" colspan="2">
{$lang.SFS_ERROR_TITLE}
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="2" class="alt-2">
{$lang.SFS_ERROR_CONNECTION}

<br /><br />
Powered by the <a href="http://www.virtualnightclub.net/" target="_blank">VNC Web Services</a> <a href="http://www.stopforumspam.com/" target="_blank">Stop Forum Spam</a> addon for <a href="http://www.ubbcentral.com/" target="_blank">UBB.threads</a>.
</td>
</tr>
{$tbclose}
{php} } {/php}

Please leave your thanks below so we can know that we've helped you!

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
I think that this is a great addition. I'm a little slow to pull-the-trigger however as I think my way through this.

Example: I get a note from a user that they can't log in. (and I DO receive 3 or 4 of these a week.) They've been a user for umpteen years. My normal routine is to change their password and send them their Login Name to see if they're using the right one.

Now, with this UPGRADE in place, there is a chance that a LEGIT user could accidentally be included in the NO SPAM list. And now, I'm chasing my tail trying to figure out WHY this legit user can't log in.

Soooooo... what might be a good way for ADMIN to know WHY a person is being denied a login due to this new feature?

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Well, they'll only be "locked out" if they show in the Stop Forum Spam database; and to be IN that database, they'd have to be reported as a spammer by several sites...

And IF they're banned BECAUSE they're in the DB, there is an obvious message posted to the screen as well as instructions on how to get themselves delisted...

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Power User
Power User
Thanks... I vaguely remember that they saw a screen but I didn't know how to confirm that. And of course, I've never seen one.

Now... all I need is to hope that they TELL me about the screen message which banned them. Ha.

Bill Barker
Issaquah, Wa
Lurker
Lurker
Couple things as I am trying to add the mod:

Looks like the coding for "In languages/english/stop_forum_spam.php:" you have a missing "[" just before /code causing issue for us to read properly.

What file do we need to find '{* Script Version 7.5.8 *}' as I found 131 occurrence and not readily apparent to me?

Been working on my website since 1996. Added a few more along the way. Spent a “couple” hours on them...
Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
It's been updated; the local copy had it in, not sure why the posted didn't lol.

Lurker
Lurker
thanks

Been working on my website since 1996. Added a few more along the way. Spent a “couple” hours on them...
Lurker
Lurker
Has this been incorporated into 7.5.8?

Thx

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
No, this is separate from what's included in 7.5.8

Power User
Power User
Will it work in 7.5.8 ?

Sponsored Links
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yes, works with 7.5.7 and onward.

Power User
Power User
Thanks G

smile

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Maybe I missed something, but is there anyway to validate what registrations or login/posts have been Blocked by SFS?

Even without that option it is still a great feature.

Last edited by Ruben Rocha; 08/01/2015 3:24 AM. Reason: Added Comment

There is no such thing as stupid questions.
Just stupid answers.
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
While logged in at Stop Forum Spam you can go to the My Spammers page to get a log of what usernames where utilized and when you submitted them back to the database. There are also submission graphs on the User Stats page.

Last edited by Gizmo; 08/01/2015 5:06 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Bill B
Bill B
Issaquah, WA
Forum Statistics
Forums63