Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#311173 08/10/2006 11:22 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
There's been a lotta talk (some just rambling wink ) re: Web 2.0 , the new web, tha Intarweb, what web design and interaction is moving to. I've got a few links to some nice tutorials about web 2.0 design and thought I might share some with you.

The basic cliff notes edition of what web2.0 design is about:
  • Simple layout
  • Centered orientation
  • 3D effects, used sparingly (drop shadows, reflections, fades)
  • Soft, neutral background colours
  • Strong colour, used sparingly
  • Cute icons, used sparingly
  • Plenty of whitespace
  • Nice big text

Some BIG no-no's:
  • Java Applets (Script is fine though)
  • Animated GIFs (the blinky ones)
  • 100% Flash sites
  • visible tables

As for the last one (visible tables) that's one area I think most forums and other scripts are lacking - we really push the boxy cookie-cutter design. No-one has yet to create the css-only divs-n-peas forum script, whoever does will be leaps and bounds in front design-wise if they are able to get it to look nicely in all current popular browsers. I imagine we are still a year or more away from that.

http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com/current-style.cfm - probably the best article, the rest are also good.

http://www.profitpapers.com/dev/web-20-design-tutorials.php

http://www.vipedio.com/roman/blog/20culture_full.html

What progress are you making in design on your site, or are you still reveling in the designs of the oh-so-yesterday web1.0? smile

Post some other examples of web2.0 done right when you run across them - a prime example is probably www.alistapart.com

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I think tables are a must tipsy They won't give you a medal if you don't use them tipsy

The name "Web 2.0" is registered by O'Reilly AFAIK. You can't freely use it anywhere you want. Like the "Perl Camel"...

Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
Originally Posted by AllenAyres

As for the last one (visible tables) that's one area I think most forums and other scripts are lacking - we really push the boxy cookie-cutter design. No-one has yet to create the css-only divs-n-peas forum script, whoever does will be leaps and bounds in front design-wise if they are able to get it to look nicely in all current popular browsers. I imagine we are still a year or more away from that.

http://getvanilla.com/ laugh

Bookie #311181 08/10/2006 5:42 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm.. that forum shows the limitations of css'd forums - they could never have the detail displayed here with current css methods. Maybe something in the future will improve options. Same with blogs offered today, a lot of them are css'd, but are of the plain 1-3 column variety, not much detail, etc.

Maybe THAT's why web2.0 sites appear to look a lot alike - in their quest to be all css divs-n-peas they are limited in their display of info. Complicated table layouts are the domain of tables smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
AllenAyres #311204 08/11/2006 10:38 AM
Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
Yeah, there is definetly a trade-off when you go with the no tables route, it makes it alot more difficult to get things to display the way you want them too. Vanilla is definetly a good start, and a great light weight discussion forum. But when you get to such a feature rich forum like threads I think you almost NEED tables just to keep everything well organized. Still if someone could pull it off it'd be a nice refreshing view to see. smile

Sponsored Links
Bookie #311325 08/21/2006 8:34 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Here's the site you validate your web2.0 site against:

http://web2.0validator.com/

ubbdev gets 6 out of 52 wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63