Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
User
User
I would like to duplicate my message board on another domain name

Is it posible to run the same message board on two different domains (on hte same server)

So if someone registers at nameA.com he also registered at nameB.com and if someone posts at nameB.com the post also shows at nameA.com

I have a board with a domain name that is not always acceptable and would like to have the same board with a more widely acceptable name

How would you do it?

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
Yes it is feasible. You will need two licenses of the software since these will be two different domains and to set up your database with two users. User A will connect to the database from host A (localhost if it is on the same machine) and user B will connect to the database from host B (again localhost if it is on the same machine).

Nikos
User
User
Thanks

Can they use different stylesheets?

In principle it will be two different sites but the content and users will be the same on both?

How about the PM's?
Will a PM sent on one board show on both boards? and when deleted it will get deleted from both boards?

Will the burden on the server duplicate or will it remain pretty much the same?

Thanks

Coder
Coder
"Can they use different stylesheets?"

*** If a user logs in under domain 1 and chooses a style and then goes to domain 2, he should still have the same style because its using the same database for information. Just make sure that both threads databases have the same stylesheets. If you have crimson style on one and not on the other, when the user logs in they will get a plain white stylesheet and start asking why the forums are messed up

"In principle it will be two different sites but the content and users will be the same on both?"

*** Yes, 2 different domain names, the same content on both domains.

"How about the PM's?
Will a PM sent on one board show on both boards? and when deleted it will get deleted from both boards?"

*** Yes, still using the same database.

"Will the burden on the server duplicate or will it remain pretty much the same?"

Yes, because both domain names will be using the same database so the load will be no more then normal.

This also has to be on the same server and each with its own threads license.

Would it be easier to add a re-direct under one domain name to point to the other.

I own a few domain names that all point to my site. I bought haloce.org (currently number 1 in google searches for haloce ) and it forwards to my leetgamers site.

User
User
Thanks
Looks promising...

If a user is banned in one board... the same happens in the other and so on... if a filter is entered in one board it works on both boards

How about modifications? Both board will have to have the same mods? I use rotating banners? Could I have different banners on each site?

How about search engines?
Will google / yahoo index both boards as separate entities?
Will the search engine listing double or may be get penalized for having duplicate pages?

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
To att to DrChaos's reply, you can in effect have different stylesheets so long as all users use the "usedefault" stylesheet. You must also have identical stylesheets on both forums to avoid that "breaking up" of the forum.

Redirecting one domain is one way of doing it and you should have a look if you will require a second license with that option.

If you do have two installations for two databases then you will definitely require two licenses and it is irrelevant where your database is. For all you care it can be on a third domain, since .threads connects with the host, username and password. So long as a particular host - where each domain and threads installation is - with a username and password is allowed to access this database you will be ok.

Regarding banning you are right since banning is done on a database level. Regarding filters you will have to do it on both installations since it is file based and will exist on one installation and not on the other.

Regarding installation of modifications it has to be done on both sites. Regarding rotating banners yes you can have different ones.

Search engines will query each site as a separate board because it is a separate domain. I don't know if you will be penalized for duplicate pages but I don't think that it will be the case.

Nikos
User
User
Thank you very much
It is not so simple then!

Anything can happen :-) and it may not be posible to foresse everything that may go wrong

Is there a way to make sure that if something goes wrong it will go wrong at site B instead of site A?

I am using many stylesheets on site A and they all have different images...

Could I just use a frame? I do not think threads works well in frames

Redirecting?
Redirecting, as far as I know, will always take people to the same page.
My problem is that users want to se the same content on a different domain name...

Kahuna
Kahuna
If you are worried that something might go wrong then all you have to do is have the board installed in site A and see if anything goes wrong. If all is OK and I gather it must since you probably have one board right now then take the whole folder of ubbthreads and put it on server domain B. Then change the config.inc.php information to connect with the second username and password (bare in mind that you need to create one of those and give it access in your live database).

Then you will have to manipulate your stylesheets to grab the right images for each board but you will need to keep the same names for those stylesheets. So for instance if you are using the ultradevblue on site A with the header1.png file you need to keep the same name for the stylesheet for the second board and a) either replace the header1.png file with another image (same name) or b) change the stylesheet of board B to use the header2.png.

Frames are not recommended.

If you want to see a live example then go to www.ultimatenurse.com and www.nurseserver.com. Both sites use the same database, they have a different license of ubbthreads and use different stylesheets and images.

Nikos
User
User
Thank you all for the information

I now have to sites, two domains. using the same database

I works pretty well except when someone on site A post a link to another post on site A... member on site B that read the same post on site B and follow the link are taken to site A and this may be a shock to those that had no idea that the two sites us the same database...

It is not very easy to have different forums on each board...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63