Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#262514 11/10/2003 10:24 AM
Kahuna
Kahuna
I'm sort of getting ahead of myself by planning what my New Year's resolution(s) will be in November, but one of them is to make the switch from table-based design to table-free CSS design.

Has anybody converted UBBT to CSS? Is it planned?

If not, I just might tackle it myself. Perhaps the result would be a significant improvement in rendering times and bandwidth savings?

Muhammad
Sponsored Links
Nope not a reality. At least anywhere I know of. Remember there is no such thing as table free design. You can replace alot of XHTML things with CSS classes but for CSS to function it needs to be called from a class call which is embedded in a table call or paragraph call etc which is XHTML. So no matter how much you bog down the css there will still need to be XHTML in the pages. I personally thing Threads has a nice balance. Threads is highly customizable rendering many many looks by editing the XHTML and CSS

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
A few of us have looked into all divs-n-peas for layout, it's a little too much for me to consider right now. If you have time Muhammed, go for it, I'll help where possible

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Redesign of every single template file at very least.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
at the least... ubbt.inc.php and a few others too prolly. It's a huge undertaking, but once done many cool things can be done with the layout

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
[]Omegatron said:
Redesign of every single template file at very least. [/]

Yes, I'm aware of the complexity---three years ago I redesigned the W3T GUI, which involved changing every single perl script.

There were no templates, so I had to sort through the code to find the HTML. It was a mentally draining project since you had to keep complete focus and finish a file when you started, otherwise you would almost undoubtedly be lost mentally when you went back.

I don't think a CSS conversion would be quite as hard in that sense, but might be harder in terms of designing a new interface that accomplishes the same things technically as the current one, without departing too much as to make users re-learn the basic navigation.

Muhammad
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The templates should certainly make things alot easier - although the basic layout is in the templates, there is still some HTML in the scripts - although rick tried to get as much HTML as possible out into the templates.

Well all I am saying is that for CSS design to function it needs some basic HTML for it to work although alot of things can be mimiced in CSS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63