Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#232559 01/10/2003 5:05 PM
What is it?: It's a mod that adds a graphic border to all the tables in UBB 6.2

Is there a demo?: Da LAN Tech

What files are modified?: tbopen.tmpl, tbclose.tmpl, ubbthreads.tmpl, and 10 style sheets.

Who gets the props?: JustDave for making this mod possible by coming up with, and selling Info Pop on, the concept of table wrappers (and for making me curious enough to figure out how to modify them). JoshPet for the pointers on editting the ubbthreads.tmpl file (and for his numerous answers to my stupid questions ) Omegatron for spotting my xml mistakes (attachment updated).

Just follow the instructions in the text file. FYI: I removed the binary pattern on the graphics for this set, with the exception of the daforum.css file

For those of you with MacroMedia Fireworks version 4 I've included the png file I created for this graphic set.

If you don't like my graphics that's cool, just deconstruct my mod so you can figure out how to make your own
Attachments
64398-Table Wrappers.zip (0 Bytes, 93 downloads)

Last edited by Dalantech; 01/20/2003 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Thank You!

I'm glad this is finally documented too.

Nice job!

Props to you my friend: You got me interested in this one

I figured that this would serve as documentation since it should be pretty easy for people to look at what I've done and modify it for their own needs.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Yes I believe actual example files will be most helpful to others.

The nice thing about this type of modification is that there shouldn't be any changes from .threads 6.2 and forward that affect it. (with the possible exception of new style classes being added to the .css files)

True. For future version the ubbthreads.tmpl file can be dropped since the only change to is was to remove the hard scripted tbclose and take out all the ASCII spaces.

Last edited by Dalantech; 01/10/2003 5:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Excellent work! Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks for all your help my friend!

Now we just gotta document tablewrappers.tmpl in the pal directory for IIP

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I will make IIP use the same wrappers as .threads at some point. IIP's are more flexable because the table headers are less involved than some of the .threads table headers. I also figured out how to have more than one table wrapper to select from while using the .threads wrappers so this another reason to just use the .threads wrappers and drop IIP's.

I'll redo IIP and upload it tonight I guess. It will be one less thing... lol

LOL much easier when you make things easier on yourself.
I guess that will make things alot easier in future versions of IIP.

I guess that means I can dump the one I modified.

Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
LoL well don't dump it to soon. I'm working on getting IIP to use the .threads wrappers right now. I should have it up by dinner.

Very !

I'm moving on to integrating a spall chacker

Hmm an integrated spell checker. Are you using LK's spell mod from UBB as a template?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Probably looking into using pspell in php?

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy

[]Probably looking into using pspell in php? [/]

Yup, that's one possibility. I have too many die hard Linux fans on my site who do not own a copy of MicroSoft's dictionary (the one that Word uses). So I have to find a solution that's not software / platform dependant...

DaLANTech,

I was waiting for this, but how does this work in comparison to Just Dave's CSS specific Table Wrappers?

I see that your is more of a finished product, but am I correct in that once we convert to yours... there is no plain version (like what I may have now)?

Do I understand these correctly in stating that using the css specific table wrappers I can have both standard and graphic wrapper options available to members?

Just looking forward before I make changes... and not versed enough to intrepret the differences.

Thanks!

OK, I had to read JustDave's post cause I wasn't sure what you were asking.

You could do JustDave's mod, and then use my template set. Or you could just apply my set as is.

One of the problems with adding graphics to the tbopen and tbclose templates is that the spacing that you use (defined by a clear gif file) is going to change for each different graphic set (unless we all agree on some sort of standard size). So in order to use someone elses graphic style you might have to change your tbopen and tbclose templates, which means that you might not be able to use mine. JustDave's mod avoids the problem by allowing you to assign different tbopen and tbclose templates per style sheet (but you are still going to be limitted to one graphic style per CSS). If you use his mod then just change the names of your tbopen and tbclose templates according to his instructions.

Hopefully we'll see some options in the theme section of the admin panel to set the values for the graphic sizes in a future version of Threads.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I was thinking of adding additional check boxes to the stylesheet list in the theme editor so that we can specify what stylesheets get specific wrappers. All else would use the default.

The problem with having adjustable image sizes is that even the layout of the wrappers themselves may differ. Someone may want a 5 column by 3 row table wrapper as apposed to the 3 by 3 one we are using.

I think making the wrappers stylesheet specific is the best route.

I agree, especialy for sites that want to run more than one style of table wrapper.

Hi all

I have the table wrappers working great in IE (Thanks to Chuck) but I thought I would test it in NS 4.7, not that it bothers me as I use IE but someone just may be useing it, and I know it is an old version but Yahoo search engine wont allow you to put you business site on their search list unless it works perfect in NS 4.7, no big deal but this is what happens.........

Loads with some of the side graphics missing from boxes and if you scroll the page slow they appear and scroll fast the disappear agian.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this, it's not hurting any one though.

Another great hack by all you lot.

Thanks.

PS. Just noticed the Panel Generator absolutely brill a must have... whoops the box that shows all the holders is to small. lol

[]https://www.ubbdev.com/images/panels/10306-4976.png[/]

Thanks

Liahona
NS 4.7 is so bug ridden and non standards compliant that the people who coded it should be put up in front of a firing squad...

What you are describing is a classic NS 4.7 error. I'll take a look at the script that controls that area, but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to fix it. NS 4.7 is probably the problem, and not my script.

Hi Dalantech

No....don't waist your time just asking only

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
No problem

NS 4.7 is just irritating because I really do try to script so that my site looks good in all browsers (even the Mozilla users like my site). But then 4.7 was released and I got hit with a lot of negative posts cause all of a sudden "my scripting sucked"...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Netscape 4.7 doesn't *really* support CSS very well. It's very spotty. Since threads (and most sites) use CSS... I don't know how anyone can successfully use that browser anywhere without trouble.

Threads is very very close to XHTML compliant. And all the new Stylesheets released with threads (and any that I've posted) validate with w3.org. So NS is the dinosaur.

Addict
Addict
There is a way to work around the bug in Netscape with disappearing background images. The trick is to have an extra table inside the table and set the background to "#". For some odd reason Netscape then shows the background image properly. Crude, but effective. =]

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I have to agree with everyone else on this. Netscape 4.7x is out of date and quite useless where standards compliancy matters. Perhaps you should write to yahoo telling them they are falling behind the times if they think pages should render well in non standards compliant browsers. I wonder, does their online email offering work well in 4.7? I'll have to check. Would seem sort of hypocritical of them if it doesnt... lol

I myself code nothing with 4.7 in mind. It's not worth the effort. Since most browsers are given away for free I see no reason why users don't upgrade.

</2cents>

I agree. Not much sense in running an old browser (unless the latest has more bugs )

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
LoL I'd rather live with a new browser and new bugs than Netscape 4.anything LoL

I think that Mozilla's Pheonix browser may be perfect for users of older machines that have system requirements that are not up to par with the bigger browsers.

Dalantech,

I was playing a bit. I know what you mean about graphics files being huge. I was playing with adding graphics into the mod. Here is one I was playing with today. I went with the square corners as even with the graphic corners saved as transparency they where not transparent under my colored backgrounds. One a white background they are fine.

Test Forum

I managed to keep every graphic except the top one to 41K. The top one ended up being 1705K with only that one little graphic. Now if I convert to jpg that can save that to 1300K

Odd, cause I show that graphic as being 1.6 KB. Are you sure you didn't add a few zeros to the size that you listed for that top image

The only problem I saw was that you cut your images at 1000 pixels. If someone views your forum at a greater resolution that 1024 x 768 then your background graphic will tile (an effect that may or may not look good).

I cut my graphics at 1560 pixels and my site looks good at 1600x1200.

Edit: I'd also make the background page color the same (or close to) the blue that you used for your wrapper. The dark blue on light blue is tough on the ol' peepers

Last edited by Dalantech; 01/19/2003 2:47 PM.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
it seems that "the blues (large fonts)" and "the blues" have different color table wrappers. Was this intentional? Just curious since they are named the same.

They should be the same. I'll check.

Edit: Good catch! I've updated all of the style sheet text files to fix a typo and update the blues. The zip file in the first post has been fixed.

Last edited by Dalantech; 01/19/2003 4:06 PM.
Yeah I meant 1600 bytes and 41 bytes

What ya mean hard on the eyes. Your graphic is blue against white LOL

I will see about that top graphic resizing to 1560.

LOL! Look again, the background is grey with a binary pattern going through it

Mr binary

Yes ya da grey man!

I softened the blue a bit more so it matches the tdheader. Should be more fluid now. Graphics sizes are 36bytes and the top is 1770bytes.

Also I updated the templates to be XHTML compliant.
Attachments
65461-templates.zip (0 Bytes, 10 downloads)

hey just wanted to say thanks . I used your mod. changed the image colors but was a great help having it all documented
Thanks again

What did you have to change to make them compliant? Did you add the "alt" parameter to the image tags?

Thanks for taking the time to say thanks, and glad you like the hack

You hit it on the head buddy

Simple but yes that makes it XHTML compliant. Most people forget about the small stuff All image tags need a closing tag which you had /> and they need the alt variable defined which was missing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63