Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
...community? Myself I've just got my site up to it's 10th member (hurray...though that is counting DONOTDELETE). So far only 3 people have posted and only 2 consistently. I'm not to worried because I have done very little promoting right now. I even get free search engine submission, but I haven't taken advantage of that yet. I'm just curious to know how long it has taken you guys? Maybe I should do a chain email, but I'm not into that and because I know how annoying they are, I know I would never do that to other people.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I would suggest promoting your site. It's a numbers game at first, the more people who come, the more who will use the boards. Assuming the site/board topic is relevant to them. Plus word of mouth will kick in often, after you have some regulars.

Addict
Addict
I think I was very lucky, as when I started my site with UBB.classic, I had maybe 8 members. And since it was a kinda local site, word was passed around through friends and such. Then I also included a link to my site in my sig files for other forums I posted on, that drew in a bit of traffic.

Well, the site is what, a little over a year old now? I have about 700 members, most of them very active, and I'd say almost everyone on the site has met someone else or many on there in real life. Its kinda cool

But I did no real promotion myself.. I just built it, and they came!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Submit to the search engines. Keep track of what one's have accepted and listed you so you don't agrivate them by doing it after your listed.

Exchange links. Find simular sites such as yours and write them a formal letter offering to exchange links. This can be benificial to both sites in question.

While surfing the net keep an eye out for "free for all" link pages. Add your site every opertunity you get.

Study up on <meta> tags. Depending on the search engine this can be a very big part of listing. I have a post in the "how do I..." forum covering how to add the "keywords" and "description" tags to your forum pages.

Look at simular, well ranked sites. See what they are using for their meta tags. If at all possible, try and use some well known words that pertain to your site but you haven't seen in your "competitor" sites. You'll rank high when users hit them words since the other sites do not have them.

Don't fill your pages full of hidden keywords and whatnot. Search engines are smarter than they used to be and this may very well get your site overlooked on purpose.

Banner exchanges. From my own experiences these help a little. Your main traffic will come from people using search engines to find sites like yours though.

Register your site with the various "open directory" groups out there. This isn't a search engine so much as it's a yellow pages for the internet. You may be added quicker to these directories than the search engines.

And finally, it's a time thing. Consistant content, friendly users and patience will win out in the long run.

Good Luck

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63