Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 10
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
If you are running a proxy server, using a home network with a proxy server or using Windows XP with a Firewall, you may have problems using this site. Instead of getting pages from our site, you may be getting cached pages from your hard drive or from your ISP. To solve this issue, you must clear out the page cashe and disable it. See the technical instructions below for your browser.

Problem - any one or more of the following:

* Users cannot see new content, even after they have just posted it.
* Users do not appear to be able to log in.
* Some users report that the light bulbs/new post count is not working correctly.

Cause:
This is most likely caused by the web browser drawing pages from either a local disk cache or a cache at the ISP or Firewall level.

Resolution:

A. Internet Explorer through the 5 series:
* Select Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files section
* Click "Settings" and enable the option "Every visit to the page"
NOTE: Now is a good time to limit the number of megabytes that Internet Explorer has to store pages on your hard disk, its default is 1% of your total hard disk size. Consider reducing that down to 10 Megabytes at this time.
* Click "OK"
* Click "Delete Files"
* Click "OK"

B. Internet Explorer 6 Series
* Tools -> Internet Options
Privacy Tab
* Click "Advanced"
* Ensure settings are the following:
-> "Override automatic cookie handling" - CHECKED
->First party Cookies:
ACCEPT - selected
->Third-party Cookies:
BLOCK - selected
-> "Always allow session cookies" - user discretion
* This allows the UBB to work as designed while still blocking potentially malicious third
party cookies.
* In addition, the Ultimate Bulletin Boardâ„¢ can **NOT** exist within a frameset. Internet Explorer often sees the UBB within the frameset as a "third party" and will block the
cookies.

C. Netscape:
* Select Edit -> Preferences -> Click the '+' next to "Advanced"
* Select "Cache"
* Menu on the right says "Document in cache is compared to Document on network:"
->"Once Per session"
->"Every time"
->"Never"
* Choose "Every Time"
* Click "OK"

Additional Information:
If you are using a cable modem, please contact your cable modem provider to discuss the page cache that they may be running on the system. Be prepared to use an alternate provider (dial up) as a test of the page cache if they are indeed running one. Many hosts with cache systems claim that they are 'transparent' when that is not the case.
Also know that many large ISP's around the country will run cache servers that only clear out at scheduled intervals. This can affect performance regionally and make content fail to show up correctly for your users in these areas where the cache has not cleared for awhile.

(Copied from the InfoPop tech support website)

Problem - When trying to make a post or reply, you receive a "this is not a valid host" error message.
You may need to make an adjustment to your Norton Internet Security Software. I believe this is included with Windows XP.

For Norton Internet Security:

1. Open Norton Internet Security.
2. Click Options.
3. Click Internet Security (or Personal Firewall).
4. Click Advanced Options.
5. Click the Web tab.
6. Click Add Site. A new site/domain box appears.
7. Enter the url of the site that you want to receive the referrer information (www.ThisSite.com) and click OK. That site name appears in the left frame of the Advanced Options window.
8. Click the name of the new site.
9. Click the Privacy tab.
10. Check the "Use these rules for..." box.
11. Change the Referrer from "Block" to "Allow."
12. Click Apply, and then click OK.
13. Click OK to close the Options window.

For ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0:

1. Begin at ZoneAlarm Pro Control Center (if ZAP is minimized to tray, simply right click on the "ZA" symbol and choose "Restore ZoneAlarm Pro Control Center".)

2. From left-hand column, choose "Privacy" (below "Alerts & Logs" and above "Email Protection".)

3. Click menu tab that says "Site List" (next to "Main", under "Help", in right-hand corner.)

4. Click on "Add" button on bottom right corner of Control Center (above "Options".)

5. A box pops up that says "Add sites to your privacy list by entering the URL below" and then asks for "URL".
Type in the URL for the site like: www.ThisSite.com

6. Click "OK".

7. Locate the site you just entered in the list of sites and right click anywhere on that line. You are given the choice of "Remove" and "Options". Choose "Options".

8. You are given the options for the site you just entered. Under the "Cookies" menu, go to the "3rd Party Cookies" section. Uncheck "Remove Private Header Information". Click "Apply" at bottom. Click "OK" at bottom.

If you actually made it through, you should now be able to post at the site you entered without having to disable ZAP or getting the "invalid host" error.

* Users claim they can log in correctly, get to their "My Home", but as soon as they click on any link they are logged back out. This means they can't post, send PM's, etc.

Cause:
Every time I've encountered this scenario, the user's computer was set to the wrong date.

Resolution:
Check the date on your computer.
  • Windows
    1. Double-click on the Time down in the lower right-hand corner of your screen
    or
    2. Use the Start menu:
    Click Start and choose Settings, then Control Panel.
    Double-click the Date and Time icon.
  • Mac:
    1. From the Apple menu, choose Control Panels.
    2. Double-click the Date & Time control panel icon.

If the date is wrong, fix it! The problem is that UBB.threads is placing the cookie on the user's computer, but as soon as they click a link and threads tries to find the cookie, it has already expired (because their computer thinks it's months in the future.)

Special thanks to Lisa_P of www.fishingfordeals.com for contributions to this.

Last edited by JoshPet; 09/28/2002 2:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
#####################################################################
# Install Instructions: Copy and paste the message below into
# the new post window in your forum.
#####################################################################

If you are running a proxy server, using a home network with a proxy server or using Windows XP with a Firewall, you may have problems using this site. Instead of getting pages from our site, you may be getting cached pages from your hard drive or from your ISP. To solve this issue, you must clear out the page cashe and disable it. See the technical instructions below for your browser.

* Users cannot see new content, even after they have just posted it.
* Users do not appear to be able to log in.
* Some users report that the light bulbs/new post count is not working correctly.

Cause:
This is most likely caused by the web browser drawing pages from either a local disk cache or a cache at the ISP or Firewall level.

Resolution:

A. Internet Explorer through the 5 series:
* Select Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files section
* Click "Settings" and enable the option "Every visit to the page"
NOTE: Now is a good time to limit the number of megabytes that Internet Explorer has to store pages on your hard disk, its default is 1% of your total hard disk size. Consider reducing that down to 10 Megabytes at this time.
* Click "OK"
* Click "Delete Files"
* Click "OK"

B. Internet Explorer 6 Series
* Tools -> Internet Options
Privacy Tab
* Click "Advanced"
* Ensure settings are the following:
-> "Override automatic cookie handling" - CHECKED
->First party Cookies:
ACCEPT - selected
->Third-party Cookies:
BLOCK - selected
-> "Always allow session cookies" - user discretion
* This allows the UBB to work as designed while still blocking potentially malicious third
party cookies.
* In addition, the Ultimate Bulletin Boardâ„¢ can **NOT** exist within a frameset. Internet Explorer often sees the UBB within the frameset as a "third party" and will block the
cookies.

C. Netscape:
* Select Edit -> Preferences -> Click the '+' next to "Advanced"
* Select "Cache"
* Menu on the right says "Document in cache is compared to Document on network:"
->"Once Per session"
->"Every time"
->"Never"
* Choose "Every Time"
* Click "OK"

Additional Information:
If you are using a cable modem, please contact your cable modem provider to discuss the page cache that they may be running on the system. Be prepared to use an alternate provider (dial up) as a test of the page cache if they are indeed running one. Many hosts with cache systems claim that they are 'transparent' when that is not the case.
Also know that many large ISP's around the country will run cache servers that only clear out at scheduled intervals. This can affect performance regionally and make content fail to show up correctly for your users in these areas where the cache has not cleared for awhile.

(Copied from the InfoPop tech support website)

Problem - When trying to make a post or reply, you receive a "this is not a valid host" error message.
You may need to make an adjustment to your Norton Internet Security Software. I believe this is included with Windows XP.

2. Click Options.
5. Click the Web tab.
7. Enter the url of the site that you want to receive the referrer information (www.ThisSite.com) and click OK. That site name appears in the left frame of the Advanced Options window.
13. Click OK to close the Options window.

For ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0:

1. Begin at ZoneAlarm Pro Control Center (if ZAP is minimized to tray, simply right click on the "ZA" symbol and choose "Restore ZoneAlarm Pro Control Center".)

2. From left-hand column, choose "Privacy" (below "Alerts & Logs" and above "Email Protection".)

3. Click menu tab that says "Site List" (next to "Main", under "Help", in right-hand corner.)

4. Click on "Add" button on bottom right corner of Control Center (above "Options".)

5. A box pops up that says "Add sites to your privacy list by entering the URL below" and then asks for "URL".
Type in the URL for the site like: www.ThisSite.com

6. Click "OK".

7. Locate the site you just entered in the list of sites and right click anywhere on that line. You are given the choice of "Remove" and "Options". Choose "Options".

8. You are given the options for the site you just entered. Under the "Cookies" menu, go to the "3rd Party Cookies" section. Uncheck "Remove Private Header Information". Click "Apply" at bottom. Click "OK" at bottom.

If you actually made it through, you should now be able to post at the site you entered without having to disable ZAP or getting the "invalid host" error.

* Users claim they can log in correctly, get to their "My Home", but as soon as they click on any link they are logged back out. This means they can't post, send PM's, etc.

Cause:
Every time I've encountered this scenario, the user's computer was set to the wrong date.

Resolution:
  • Windows
    or
    2. Use the Start menu:

• Mac:

If the date is wrong, fix it! wink The problem is that UBB.threads is placing the cookie on the user's computer, but as soon as they click a link and threads tries to find the cookie, it has already expired (because their computer thinks it's months in the future.)

Special thanks to Lisa_P of www.fishingfordeals.com for contributions to this.

Last edited by JoshPet; 09/28/2002 2:02 PM.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Here is another problem I find myself solving at least weekly now:

Cause:

Resolution:
  • Windows
    or
    2. Use the Start menu:

• Mac:

If the date is wrong, fix it! The problem is that UBB.threads is placing the cookie on the user's computer, but as soon as they click a link and threads tries to find the cookie, it has already expired (because their computer thinks it's months in the future.)

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks Lisa! Excellent!

I've edited the above 2 posts to include Lisa's contributons.

Actually thinking back... I think you may have written some of the Zone Alarm stuff that's used on the InfoPop site. I've included credit to you.

Thanks again!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yep, the NIS and the ZAP were mine as well. I actually posted them on our site originally so I'd have a convenient place to copy and paste them from when I answer the support email users send me.

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
Sponsored Links
Hi Josh

I had problems with this site so I tried doing........
[]Problem - When trying to make a post or reply, you receive a "this is not a valid host" error message.

2. Click Options.
5. Click the Web tab.
13. Click OK to close the Options window. [/]

At line " 11 " I also had to do the other boxes to allow but I also had cookies and email set to BLOCK so I had to change these as well and then re-login to your site.

Just some info really.

Thanks.

Thanks

Liahona

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63