Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#218789 06/13/2002 3:41 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Name: CustomTitle v1.0

Description: Allows your users to specify a custom title to display beneath their username on their posts. Users can edit their title in their "My Home" settings.

Example: http://www.terranbbs.com/testboard/ubbthreads.php (Username: test / Password: test)

Link: http://www.terranbbs.com/ubb/mods/6.0/CustomTitle.txt

Special Thanks: To the many members of my board who prompted me to create this by constantly asking for custom titles.

Future Improvements: Adding the ability to specify a number of posts that a user must reach before having the ability to change their title with the configuration taking place in the admin control panel.

Last edited by WrÅith; 06/13/2002 3:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hey, nice

Can you link to an image in there or use html? Just asking

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Right now I have it stripping out the HTML, but theoretically you could indeed. I was thinking about that very thing since I frequent a number of Sci-Fi boards that use small rank images underneath the name.

One other possible enhancement would be to allow the use of images below the name and then tie it to a particular group so that a user could pick a particular group such as Klingon and it would display Klingon rank images beneath their name.

I gotta tell 'ya that the new version of this software makes these kind of "tweaks" a breeze. This one took me about 30 minutes. The longest part was just tracing the "path" of the files I'd need to change.

umm... it's weird..
i followed all the instructions and the database doesn't update when i try to change the title... i'm using the final copy of 6.0...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I suppose it's possible I missed a line I changed. I've done it on two boards and it's worked fine. Let me do a line-by-line comparrison with a clean copy and see if there's something I missed in the instructions.

Sponsored Links
Writes WrÅith:
I suppose it's possible I missed a line I changed. I've done it on two boards and it's worked fine. Let me do a line-by-line comparrison with a clean copy and see if there's something I missed in the instructions.

Thanks again!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yep, call me an idiot! I missed the whole part where the info gets added to the database.

I've updated the instructions. You'll want to do Part Two, Steps 3, 4, and 5.

ahh... its working now! Thanks!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Very cool.

How difficult would it be to make it so that only certain groups had this power??

We allow members who donate to support our site to have a custom title. Currently the Admins have to make the change now. It would be cool if once they are in the "contributor" usergroup, they could do it themselves... but regular users didnt' have that 'power'.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Wouldn't be hard at all actually. I was already thinking about doing something similar to this only based on the number of posts instead of group.

To do it, you'd want to create some sort of variable in config.inc.php that specifies the group number that you want to grant access to. You'd then modify the query in editbasic.php to extract their group information from the database and assign it to a variable. Then you would create an IF statement in changebasic.php that compares the group variable to the config variable. If they're equal it proceeds, if not, it spits out an error message saying they need to contribute or something.

Really wouldn't take much to be honest with you.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That would be cool. Might need to try my luck at playing around with that.

Thanks!

Addict
Addict
as soon as you get this to work for only users with X number of posts, I'm in!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
That might take a bit. I've got to figure out how the config.inc.php captures and stores the variables that are assigned. I want the post number to be something that you can configure via the admin control panel. I could easily set it up to work with just a statement in the file itself, but that isn't elegant enough for me.

I'll mess around with it some more over the next day or so.

Maybe I am asleep but where is the custom title field??

I installed the hack and their is no custom title field in myhome?

HMM so this does not create a new custom title field like its UBB counterpart. I see it only writes over your current title which one can change anyway.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
It allows the user to specify what they wish to have in the U_Title field. Previously this was something that could only be changed by an Administrator as they were the only ones who could view a complete user profile via the Admin CP. What this hack does is allow the board member to change their own title via the same interface that they already are familiar with for changing their personal settings such as their password and their signature.

It would be nice if this was converted to not replacing a title but adding another title A CUSTOM TITLE.

UBB had a hack called this and it did not strip my admin title, So my title was administrator and underneath custom title let me specify something else cool.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
It wouldn't be hard. You'd have to add another field to the w3t_Users table. Perhaps calling it U_Title2. You would then follow the same procedure as outlined in my instructions, only substituting U_Title2 for U_Title when it is specified in the query string in editbasic.php.

SDS #218807 06/22/2002 11:38 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This mod has been moved to the finished forum at this location. Please close this thread.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63