Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#205124 08/19/2000 6:40 AM
Power User
Power User
Hi Everyone,

Check this out if you are interested in using banners on your site.

http://www.adcycle.com

It is free though they ask $50 if you want to take their banners out of rotation. This is a very nice system that allow you to add in advertisers and build out campaigns for each of them. You can also give them the admin address and when they sign on they can see how many impressions and clicks they have been getting for there banners.

Took me 5 minutes to install as all the needed bits are the same things needed by wt3 (DBI, MySQL) though it took me a little longer to figure out how to configure it. Worth a look!

Cheers,

Mitchell.

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
What a great find. I'll put a link to them on my site too.

[]http://www.amdragon.com/images/eileensig.gif[/]

Power User
Power User
very tight... having a little more time with it I must say though that the app takes a good chunk of processing time when a banner is clicked. not a big problem but something to note. being able to see the number of impressions compared to the number of clicks is nice.

I use WWWAdverts (no relation). It uses cgi only, not mysql, and works very well - set max impressions, clicks or time to display, view impressions, view clicks, set weightings etc. Very happy with this choice.

Darren.
http://www.bullpen.com.au

Journeyman
Journeyman
Is anyone really using this banner ad program (adcycle). I need/want/have to replace what I'm using and I think I have it down to three choices that I'm looking, adjuggler, advertpro and adcycle. If you are using it, would you mind letting me know how it's working for you (I'm concerned it's a resource hog and support seems to be fairly limited at best) and also about how many impressions a month are you serving. I need something that will grow with me from 1 million a month up to say 3-5 million a month. If you want to email me privately, it's in my profile. Thx.

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
I really liked this program but in the end I turned it off. Very little support yes and a major resource hog. Unless you have lots of CPU to spare I would not recommend it.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Yeah, I found this one a while back --- and dumped it, after we couldn't get it working and there was zero support... they said to try re-installing it. ho-kay.

Muhammad Chishti
Creative dIRECTOR
[:white]http://www.imcuniverse.com

Muhammad
Journeyman
Journeyman
FWIW, I'm testing out advertpro now (perl/mysql). Was pretty easy to install and compared to my old centralad pro installation, the impression count from advertpro is over 30% higher, and closer to what it should be. The reason I'm replacing the system is I figure centraladpro3 is off by about 50% of what the real number should be on my site compared to my page views. Now I just need to hack it to target pages based upon the url without a region code, but it seems to work fine so far, will let you know if I hit any snags. Now if only CPM's weren't so crappy...

Jerry
AllSports
Forums

Jerry did you end up giving adjuggler a test drive? What did you think of it?

Darren.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I installed it a while ago, but their demo has a time lock on it and I just had too many projects going on when I tried testing it then and when they gave me a second code too. I never really got around to really testing it at all. Funny you should ask about, I just finished deleting all the files from my server last night.

From what I recall, my sense was that it wasn't as intuitive an interface to work with and because I need to write a bunch of special code to handle the specific needs of my site, I am more comfortable working with perl, than in C. For reasons I don't want to go into, I can't use include virtuals for SSI and I can't change the ad banner code on all my pages to include the region, so all this has to be figured out by the script. I think the features were pretty similar and I got advertpro on a discount they were running for $100 off that ended at the end of last month, so I figured it's worth a try. Their support has been great so far, I even got a great response from them when I was considering purchasing it.

Jerry
AllSports
Forums

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise Adjuggler was written in C. That makes it more difficult for me too.
Advertpro looks a good one.

Darren.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, right from their web site "AdJuggler Classic is a CGI program written in highly optimized C and is simple to install and configure"... I'm about to turn advertpro live on my site in about an hour. I have been running it on one of my higher hit pages for about two days now side by side with my old system. Figured I was better off going live on the weekend when traffic is a little slower so I can watch over it a little easier.

Jerry
AllSports
Forums

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849