Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176533 08/10/2002 12:15 PM
will all of you be try to do it ?
I see that ikoboard forum use cgi and databse is very well
if UBB use databas is SQL so it will very popular
because a big forum (UBB) like this forum have so much member, it hard to backup forum and reupload.

I wonder if you are going to do it ?

Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
Infopop offers threads as the PHP/MySQL alternative to classic. smile

but UBB classic has a lot of Mods, you see
and UBB threads I haven't seen any hacks
althought I think evrebody who used UBB classic prefer UBB classic
it's a bad point of UBB classic

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
www.ubbdev.com is where you'll find the threads modifications wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
How about HostBoard? Didn't the owner put a SQL database on that?

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Dexter:
How about HostBoard? Didn't the owner put a SQL database on that?
He did, but I believe it was costly and it means that upgrades are going to be difficult at best.

Coder
Coder
Hostboard is an extremely heavily modified version of UBB. So much so that reguardless of what version of UBB we decided to use upgrading would be a monumentous effort. Hostboard started on v5.x of UBB and moved to V6.1.0.4 this year and took a tremendous amount of time just for the base conversion of the UBB system from one version to the next. MySQL was a completly seperate project.

In time we found UBB to be unable to serve our needs bringing our server to its knees. And it is not a small sever by any stretch of the imagination.

Being the largest UBB on the net has its price with over 60,000 users, 1800+ boards, almost 650,000 posts and growing each and every day 363,921 hits across the system on 8/13 alone and a database almost 400megs alone before actual files.

I looked at every other message board package out there. None did what Hostboard did thus would need to be modified reguardless of the package chosen. I decided to stay on UBB as it was a familiar world to our team as well as users. Our team of developers felt they could better interface MySQL then the other production bulletin boards avaialable since it was being written for a single application and not as a mass marketed product.

At this point Hostboard is locked in to our current version but development continues bringing our users new and exciting features as they become requested or we see something we like.

And to head off the requests to release the "MySQL hack" it can not be done. Not only for prioprarity reasons but there are just way to many modifications since almost every CGI file has to be modified not to mention the usual hacks will not work with out them being modified too.

So is there no way you can offer this to anyone besides a hack? Maybe ready edited files? Just a thought..

Coder
Coder
There are many complications of releasing a UBB/MySQL package as it requires a complete re-write of the CGI files which would have to be released as a package. I do not beleive that InfoPop allows the distribution of these files at the level this sort of upgrade would require. Then there is the issue of stripping the proprietary Hostboard code out which would leave you a stock UBB. Then as TheX stated upgrades would be extremely difficult at best not to mention no hacks would work without them being modified. Then there is a support issue coupled with installing the necessary supporting server modules on various platforms.

Of course my question (if InfoPop even allowed me to do this) is who would compensate me for paying my developers to do this or the time and energy it would take to support something like this???

Sorry, I do not see something like this being feasable or within my means.

Yeah now I see it's near impossible. But I hope something can come through for you. smile

Sponsored Links
PF Offline
I'm thinking about writing a hack for doing this, I would probably do it in stages, start off with the bit I need most (Profiles in a DB, for easier site integration).

I can see that part being quite easily achievable.
But my main question is the same as one of 1QuickSI's, Will Infopop allow it? Considering it will be taking away one of their selling points for people going ubb.threads.

I do have hopes that it will be easily portable into newer releases of the UBB too, but at the moment I've only really looked at what would need doing for the profiles.

I'm guessing maybe if you sell it some profit may have to go to Infopop. Otherwise if it's free it may be a hassle. It depends really.

I wonder if I can download hostboard ?

I think 1QuickSI can contact infopop about this, I think they will welcome you to infopop development team and sure they will pay you money.
with MySQL, UBB to become a useful

Coder
Coder
Sorry Hostboard is not downloadable and runs proprietary code (Script adapted by Hostboard, Copyright © 1999 - 2002. All rights reserved.) that makes us extremely unique in what we do. Please see my previous comments about file distribution.

I am sure IP has seen this thread and they know what we have been able to achieve with Hostboard over the years as well as presently. I would welcome dialog with them but it is highly unlikely since doing so would mean they have 2 competing products.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63