Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread

~;
} # end Cat_Row
Hi all,

I would like to reduce the huge white space on my "categories only" intro page. The excess white space is in the middle of the page.

Looks to be a nested table controlled by the value $TBT (table top, from public_common.pl) and is set at 100%. $TBT also controls other pages and cannot be fiddled with... I would suppose.

How can I reduce the header strip and the category links + forum totals row to 80%? Can I just add a new invisible cell on either end of the row to float the table closer to the center? Should I create a left and right sidebar beginning in this middle section?

The top part of the page is just fine. The bottom part only has the copywrite stuff which is already centered. Version Classic 6.7.2. Much thanks in advance.

From public_forum_summary.pl :

sub Cat_Row {
# Fixed for strict - 20030426
# standalone category row

my($color, $forum_count, $catarray) = @_;

my $desc = $catarray->[5] ? qq~
$catarray->[5]
~ : "";

return qq~

[2]"}">$catarray->[1]

$desc

$forum_count
Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Because of the use of TBT and TBB, as you noted, it becomes hard to make the table less than normal width. What you could do instead is fill the table with more information.

Could we get the URL to your site? That'll help us figure out what could be done with the page...

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Hi Charles,

Thank you for looking at this. Others might find the solution to be of interest, too.

Screens and displays are larger than ever making this white space more prominent. Also, I want the main page to have a different feel than the other pages with their long lines of links and other data.

got:
http://www.housechurch.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi_hc/ultimatebb.cgi

need:
http://www.housechurch.org/test.html

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Darn. See, I was hoping I'd be able to suggest something obvious to fill up the space, like adding category descriptions, but you're already doing that.

I don't have a copy of the code with me, I'll check back in later...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
You can change the top TBT to the actual code it spits out and reduce the width to 80% there. Would be found in public_forum_summary.pl

I don't have a copy of the code with me, I'll check back in later... smile We need a way of editing templates like threads has.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. The same template routine (PageTop in public_forum_summary) is used for both category-only mode and normal mode.

So, the change is going to be a little more complex.

First, remove the $TBT from PageTop, around line 55.

Then go find sub Cat_Table_Top, and just insert the modified TBT value in the HTML that it returns.

Finally, go find sub Normal_Table_Top, and insert a $TBT in the very first HTML block (my $Top = qq~...)

Charles and Allen,

That code was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for caring about what might appear as something insignificant.

UBB's fantastic support make it a fantastic product. Again, thanks so very much for all you do to keep "classic" alive!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849