Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Kahuna
Kahuna
bookie and lk's blam template set of a few versions ago included a nifty lil "your info" section atop the forum summary

any chance on getting just that part of the template updated to fit nice n'comfy with v6.5?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That was pretty nice smile I may look for it myself if no-one else does smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
:yeeeeawn:

heya double a!

i notice that a few posters were trying to get the same effect on earlier versions of the boards. they talk about it in the later pages of the original blam thread

at around page 8 of that thread, a few users were getting varying amounts of success in trying to add just this feature. they'd get to a point where everything seemed to work, but not all of the information was displayed. with a few quick fixes, they were able to get around the errors.

i've spent the last few hours duplicating their efforts and trying a whole buncha variations. i get to that same certain point, getting the same info and missing the same info, but none of the previously-succesful quickfixes seem to work in the new 6.5

specifically, the errors are that you get no avatar and no status

additionally, the "who's online" portion is now a lil screwy, but that only requires altering the location of the code

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
heheh, thanks for the pointers smile

I gotta get to work, but will check it out later if no-one else does smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
(psst... im trying all this after applying compact headers -- could that be an issue?)

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
happen to have a zip of bookie's blam templates on hand? they're on my other pc tipsy

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Kahuna
Kahuna
here y'go:

http://www.robkamphausen.com/misc/BLAMice1.zip

note, this wasn't his final deal. it was a working one, tho (the one i used). and, as far as i remember, lk's status/info feature is the same here and in the revised version (which i do not have)

just PM me when y'get it, so's i can take it down.

Heh...This is the same topic as click here . smile

Because I'm using the Avatar hack I'm using a different call (e.g., $user_profile[16]) which displays the user's avatar (in Flash or static image). The UBB's status such as "Administrator", "Moderator", "Member" and "Jr Member" can be taken from "$user_profile[8]"...But when using Qasic/Jimbo's Custom Status/Rank hack the user's info will not display. I don't know if this helps but it's obvious that many people want this feature on the Forum Summary page. smile

Kahuna
Kahuna
wow, yer goin all out, PT!

the one i'm currently using thru the old blam code simply displays:

screen name
"last visited: date/time"
and, later, i added the PM inbox.

all the standard, v6.5 stuff (not the hack stuff, like title or avatar, just the boards version). if you could get those 5, i know at least i would be thrilled! wink

quote:
Originally posted by drkknght:
wow, yer goin all out, PT!
Hehe...Well I would feel much better about it if I were getting the results I had in mind. LOL. laugh

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
selfish! smile

well, i wish i could help. as you can see, i can barely get the basics. in fact, just the "last visited" part. the avatar (which is really the most important to me) seems to be the trickiest, cuz i think its reliant upon some sorta javascript in there.

...stupid code languages!!

quote:
Originally posted by drkknght:
selfish! smile
Ohh...Hehe. I didn't mean it like that. smile I was referring to the issues I was having in relation to what you're experiencing. smile

I agree with you in that trying to figure out the codes and modifying (and sometimes creating) them can be a challenge. Here is what I'm thinking:

Take a look at the scripts by LK and Bookie of "BLAMearth" Templates hack. Inside the "ubb_status.cgi" you will see this code:

[code][/code]That will tell the UBB page (in particular with Forum Summary) to recognize the any user's info when the user is logged in. All of the codes above the one I listed in "ubb_status.cgi" is important to keep intact. While LK extended this code from UBB's you can simply use UBB's default code to generate the same results. You can place these codes in "ubb_forum_summary.cgi".

Once the Forum Summary recognizes the user has logged in you can get the "Base Code Profile Fields" which Allen supplied before and extract the codes you want. Now since you are looking for the default user codes I think that can be done with the info you already have. Example codes to add:

$user_profile[8] = user's status
$user_profile[31] = custom user's status
$pubname = user's public display name
$Avatar = user's avatar (I don't think just adding this only will work)

For the PM just extract the javascript of that code and insert it. The Date and Time I haven't tried that yet. The funny thing is that you can actually display all of the user's information (e.g., password) if you wanted to.

I'll help with whatever I'm able to as this is a definitely a cool feature. smile

Through a suggestion by LK, I also tried the code at the end of the BLAM thread, but it doesn't seem to work right with 6.4 and above.

Good to see a lot of interest in this because I've been trying to get it to work for months now. smile

Veteran
Veteran
starting 6.4 the password is encrypted in the cookie so I dunno if you use or not but that could be it

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Kahuna
Kahuna
good stuff, PT.

i've putzed around with all of it a little more, but really, im no closer than i was earlier. the avatar just wont pop up.

how does it work so easily when checking a profile?

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
It'd be helpful to add the code I gave you to your test board, then I can visit it and try to find the problem smile

Kahuna
Kahuna
can do, LK!

first off, for reference, this is the code you gave me:

quote:
copy ubb_status to your cgi bin folder, then in public_forum_summary.pl use in pagebottom sub:
Code
[/code]and in pagetop sub, use:
[code]
and here is my beta board.

i modded the table structure a little (removing the blam graphics and table headers, and such), but the majority is still intact.

things missing:

status
who's online info (located under "forum info")

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
You didn't add anything to pagebottom, are you sure you changed sub PageBottom and not Cat_Page_Bottom? if you didn't make that mistake can you post here your pagebottom sub?

Kahuna
Kahuna
gah -- sorry, i've been updating new stuff all day and forgot to re-add that.

its there now, promise! wink

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
That's odd, it worked when I was logged out but when I registered and logged in it stopped working. Can you show me your last lines of your error log? (they should include something about ubb_status) if it's not possible please remove the print content-type thing from ubb_status.cgi and let me know.

Kahuna
Kahuna
whoa... get outta here!

all i get is the "you last visited" info. i dont get an avatar image or a status.

i get the broken avatar image because i didnt upload the "unregistered one" -- but i wouldn't get that anyway, because im registered and picked an avatar.

how could that be?

Kahuna
Kahuna
y'mean this?

[code][/code]

Kahuna
Kahuna
i also just removed that print-content line from ubb_status.cgi

since i did that, the error log now says:

[code][/code]

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
I'm an idiot tipsy

in ubb_status.cgi, find:
Code
[/code]add below:[code]

Kahuna
Kahuna
yes... yes... you're the idiot...

i was just... helping you see that...

wink

im back in bidniz, baby! its up and workin fine now -- you rock, LK!

LK To the rescue. thumbsup

Kahuna
Kahuna
whoakay. another annoying lil tiny thing that i frustratingly can't defeat on my own.

recent visitors

its being displayed as a list, at the top of the page, as a category.

its place holder in public_forum_summary is "$pntf_locations[1]"

i can get the line of text (saying who is online and the number) to appears beneath or above that little intro table by moving the "$pntf_locations[1]" code around -- however... i can't get it beneath the words "forum info"

when i place it there and refresh my boards, they get all outta whack, with black borders and such.

what-in-the-heck!

". This is because the "$TBT" is located in the public_forum_summary.pl file. So what to do?

One solution is to knock out the "$TBT" and "$TBB" for Recent Visitors. Move whichever "pntf_locations[0]" that you use up to "Forum Info". Go back into "public_pntf_summary.pl" and create your own Table settings. This way Recent Visitors will display properly in the Forum Summary page.

The only issue now is with Forum Page, in which I've never attempted to modify independently from the Forum Summary...Maybe someone has. smile
Hmm...Well Recent Visitors is a tricky codeset to modify, because you modify it for Forum Summary and it will react the same with the Forum Pages. You may be able to set both files independently but I haven't tried it.

I like to use "$pntf_locations[0]" since it's most flexible. Because Recent Visitors is controlled by it's own Table settings, even if you were to place it in "Forum Info", the Table settings will be left unchanged. You can try to modify the Recent Visitors by going into the public_pntf_summary.pl file and look for:

[code][/code]In there you'll be able to config the Table settings. The problem here however, you'll notice that while there is "$TBB" there isn't one for "$TBT"...The code starts off with "
Kahuna
Kahuna
heya pt -- thanks for the help. ill check into that stuff.

how did it work in the original blam templates? (like my current boards, here ). there, you have the forum_summary online list under forum info, like i want it, and up top in its own table (with mods) on the topic (etc) pages.

is that just because of individual coding?

also, in the forum_summary, "$pntf_locations[0]" is actually in the exact place i want the who's online info to be displayed. however, i cant get the boards to place the information there, without it being in its own little table (separate from a category)

You can set the Recent Visitors via CP. I used "Display seperate from forums and categories". smile With "List Locations" set "at top" it should use "pntf_locations[0]".

I haven't worked with BLAM templates before so I wouldn't know. My guess however, is that Bookie did modify public_pntf_summary.pl in some manner. smile Compare Bookie's and the UBB files (public_pntf_summary.pl and public_summary.pl) your currently using for 6.5 and see what he did there. smile

Kahuna
Kahuna
woo... i was just checkin on that.

first, i went into my public_forum_summary and switched "pntf_locations[0]" and "pntf_locations[1]"

i left the CP settings at "category" "top" and "list"

then, i uploaded bookie's "public_pntf_summary" from blam over the 6.5 one.

that seems to have worked (with some weird coloring effects, but its a start!!)

do you want me to send you that pntf_summary template file? maybe you could mess with it?

Now when I think about it if you were to look at the Recent Visitor routines in both ubb_forum_summary.cgi and ubb_forum.cgi files you you can set it independently. Anyway, to I may be off here but I think "pntf_locations[1]" was used because it didn't contain the "$TBT" and "$TBB" settings. Only #0 and #3 do. So I guess continue to use "pntf_locations[1]". Heh. laugh

*Rambles*

Umm...I just noticed that some of your text under "Forum Info" doesn't display.

Kahuna
Kahuna
grr... live my frustration!

forum summary now looks perfect. click on any forum and you'll see that the who's online bit is a lil screwy, but not so bad. now click back to forum home....

DOH!

its now doubling the "who's online" -- one where i want it to be (by "forum info") and one above the categories, where it shows on the inner pages.

.... cant...figure...out...

Thanks for the offer but I have the BLAM templates...I just never worked with it before. smile

Umm...Did you delete the other pntf_locations[0]? Or whichever the one you're using for "Forum Info"? You should only have one of each per file.

Looking good though! thumbsup

Kahuna
Kahuna
oy.

towards the bottom of public_forum_summary, i changed this:

$Top .= $pntf_locations[1];

to this:

$Top .= $pntf_locations[0];

amd that seems to have done the trick. ... for whatever reason!

It's because you only use one set at a time. smile

I noticed that your Latest Posts in Forum Summary is not set to the overall Table width.

Kahuna
Kahuna
yeah, i dont think im gonna use those at all. i was just messin with the code -- trying to see if it had any sorta drag on the page loading up.

odds are, im going to remove it or add it in somewhere else, purdier smile

Hmm...The Latest Posts looked good there. smile

Looks like you guys are making good progress. smile

Is it nearing a final soon?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63