Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G5
i wish to just add a little space between my forums and thread topics. something like a
tag.In other words i don't want the table cells to be touch one another.

i want this done on the main page and in the topics page.

[ July 22, 2001 05:40 PM: Message edited by: G5 ]

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: G5 ]

Sponsored Links
Moderator / Template Diva
https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=17&t=000237

Less than half a dozen topics down from yours...

---Skorpion

Don't put that signature in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!
G5
well thanks and all, but i wanted something more like this THIS on the main page. notice how there are small gaps between the forums and a larger gap between the Categories.

also HERE each tread topic has a small gap.

could you help with this? :rolleyes:

the other topic you showed me does not have the little gaps. thats what i liked the most laugh

[ July 22, 2001 07:52 PM: Message edited by: G5 ]

If you really looked you would find the EXACT same post in one of the forums. Templates or FDI[Forum Design Integration]. That is Bookie's forum. He said he MIGHT release the template when 6.1 comes around. But don't count on it too much. Looks like you are on your own. You might also want to talk with him because I don't know if he wants every UBB looking like his.

The concept from that post still applies to both of the other templates. Just add a $TBT in front of each row, and a $TBB at the end of each row. This makes each post, each topic, or each forum in it's own template, thus giving a little gap between them.

Tech, this was first done on Se7enet - or at least I'd never seen it done before I did it, so (no offense to Bookie) it's not really his call whether it gets out or not.

In this month's U-Zine (due out in about three days), I have an article that will detail step-by-step / find-replace code for doing this. So if you can't figure it out for yourself from my first paragraph, just wait a few days and you'll get the spelled out version. laugh

(Sincere apologies if I sounded rude in the thread above, I'd just got done laying the law down on an idjit and was still a little, um, gripey... :D)

---Skorpion

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
its really easy to do if you know html... just fool around with public_forum_summary.pl and public_forum_page.pl and see if you can get it.

.::First place winner in the June 2001 Member Spotlight ::.
.::Zelda Xtreme::.
My apologies. I never really visited your site before. I just thought because he was pointing to his site.. ahh, I shouldn't have banged my head against the wall when I was younger. laugh

quote:
Why not? I did that and ate paint chips! Look where it got me!

asdgfp otu 1-081 0lj [ouj[9i [090[ 610[9 svj v;j;adjf;a oidsufj[ pit[10 95u- 1075-`0 5q 0-u[ 095 1oqij oaij o;q pants!

laugh tipsy laugh

---Skorpion

quote:

That's NOTHING like what I ate. I used to like to suck the stuff out of that tub the Dermatoligist man gave me. Wow, I swear it felt so weird going down my throat. Hmm, here wanna read my last report turned in?

tH3 re...fjfjif sults of eatignnngngj;;a stufnj k fronnnmm the dearrtmmaotualigiust

........................................................................................................................01948687590193 jfjkfre 9 825 ( _# _ )@&$^ %()^_ *$^@^ ....................................................................

[edit]
I got an A+ by the way!
[/edit]

[ July 22, 2001 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Tech-Ni-Kal ]

Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
ooook... I can help you with that if you really need it, and also i must appolagize (sp) to skorp frown I never even realized that you had that on your site : if you want i can change it... ah.. hell.. i was planin on changin it anyway

Sponsored Links
G5
well its not that i been wanting to copy you guys. I been wanting to this since the 1st ubb6 came out. i don't like having my main bard being all one big long board. it would be nice to split it up on some of you have it. i asked how to do this when ubb6 was out but everyone just gave me a bnch of these ????? ...trsut me when i'm done with my board it will look noting like any of yours. Stupid college has be way too busy to work on my board frown

I understand you guys want to be different so if you all don't want to help me thats ok. all i really wanted was the gap in the Categories the small gap in between thred posts was just something i saw on clan 3:16 and thought it was cool laugh in which btw Bookie that board is by far the best i have saw here...it really is. the main board page is like WOW laugh .

once again if no one wants to help me because you wish to stay different thats cool.

[ July 22, 2001 11:55 PM: Message edited by: G5 ]

Bookie and G5, I don't mind you copying that part. IMHO it's a better method anyway, because splitting up each element into it's own separate table lets the browser render them as they come instead of waiting to download the entire thing and rendering it at the same time. Gives your users the impression that the page loads faster (though in actuality I think it does end up taking a few split seconds longer). So if you wanna do that to your sites, it's quite alright. (As long as you don't go and copy my whole templates, in wich case I'll be rather irked...)

G5, like I said, in a couple days the U-Zine will come out and I'll have a tutorial in there on how to do what you're asking. So just wait a couple days and you'll get your answer... K? laugh

---Skorpion

G5
alright cool laugh this is the only thing i'll copy from another ubb after whcih i'll try out my own styles and such. I just hope i don't kill my ubb trying laugh

Member / Blamoholic
Member / Blamoholic
quote:
heeey, thanx smile if u need IMMEDIATE help and can't wait any longer u can icq me at 61378789.

G5
thats cool of you, but i'll wait for the u zine thing. maybe i'll learn something and come up with my own style laugh

G5
Hey Skorpion just wondering to when that tutorial is going to out?

Honestly, I have no clue. Please accept my apologies for it's tardiness, but for some reason things just aren't getting done very fast this month.

I *HOPE* it will be out soon.

---Skorpion

~:" i can't find a 2nd one. the only one i foind is at the bottom and when i change it my topics all are messed up?

Also.......

Code
code:

Find "~;"? which one where? i tryed differnt ones and my main board looks all meesed up ? frown can you help me a little here?
G5
OK VERY COOL ITS OUT, but.......

Code
code:

when it says find the 2nd one "$this_html.=qq~
First problem: Yes, there are two of them. I just followed my own instructions and it worked perfectly, and I found both instances of the code. Make sure you're using clean copies of the templates. And the instructions were built on 6.05 templates.

Second problem: I just fixed the instructions to use better line breaks that copy over correctly, and also another problem with forum_summary. It should work now. I've followed my own instructions several times now, and haven't found any problems with it.

Start over with clean templates and it should work for you.

---Skorpion

When I install this, the tables in public_forum_summary and public_forum_page are all screwed up; same problem as G5 is having.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: AlienLX ]

Woo nice try :0)

G5
Sorry master mind. I'm not getting this work at all. :(:( :(:( all it does is mess my up board? I have hypercells hack add and i notice it move around a little code that was in your guide, could that be the problem? i hacked it about 3x-5x i do what it says.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63