Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#104423 04/04/2002 1:47 PM
I think this is in the right forum anyway... smile

Anyway, after upgrading my board to v6.2.1.1, I just tried to switch on the UBB accelerator. It works fine for approximately 5 minutes, then ultimatebb.cgi seems to run into a loop causing it to open multiple times on the server.

SEE IMAGE

The only way to fix it is to kill all of the processes manually, until then nothing will load. The problem is solved when the accelerator is switched off.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've just discovered that this doesn't happen only with the UBB accelerator, it happens any other time as well...

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

BTW - Here is a log of my server's processes (just a piece of it, there is much more just like this):

[code][/code]Only 2 or 3 of the 518 lines should be in there, not tons like there are... there must be some kind of loop in the code somewhere causing this.

I would REALLY appreciate some help on this...

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
My host is saying that the same thing is happening with my site. I thought it was the server it's on but now I have to wonder.

Any help from the UBB guys on this one?

Developer
Developer
This seems to me like a locking issue. If any of you have an unhacked board, I'll recommend going back to it, turning on the accelerator, and see what happens.

If this still happens on the 'clean' board, open a support ticket to Infopop, clearly stating that you may have 'locking' issues with the accelerator.

qasic

I've been working on the hosting side of this matter.

If you look at UltimateDBZ's processes list you will see the processes ID 518 multiple times. Thats a bad thing. To me it seems like that the part of ubb that uses perl is not taking advantage of perl's garbage collection which will close un used processes / and or kill defunct ones with out having to have them time out. Every time that ultimatebb.cgi runs its spawning a httpd process, there is a limit to how many processes a single user can run and if your getting alot of simultaineous traffic to your site, and you have processes that are not closing then the board will run slow or not at all.

Im in no away a coding expert and Im not going to tell you that I am, but I do know my way around unix pretty well and Im lett you guys know what I have seen. Any information from a UBB developer would be great.

Thanks
smile

Steve Klenert
CTO
Digital Princeton / UBB Hosters
Advanced Web Hosting Solutions
-=Dedicated Servers=--=Co-Location=-=Custom UBB Hosting Plans=-
Sponsored Links
I've got it figured out guys... I went back to a clean board and rehacked 1 hack at a time and ran tests after each hack installation.

As it turns out the problem is the WOL List hack that LK made for the Recent Visitors.

I posted about it in the beta topic he created. Until he figures out how to fix it I suggest you remove the hack immediately.

Developer
Developer
UltimateDBZ,

Probably a file locking error smile

Anyways, I'm glad your host actually provides tech support ... some tech people are just so incompetent (like telling them to transfer stuff in ASCII when all they do is binary .. hmph).

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

qasic

lol, I am my own tech support wink

I'm running my own server *glances beside himself*

Well I'd just like to see this cleared up, I don't want anybody to get their accounts closed on their server because of a problem like this...

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I'm not using that hack though.

quote:
Originally posted by XPerT:
I'm not using that hack though.

Really? That sure is strange, because right after I removed it everything works fine now...

Maybe there is a similar bug in another hack confused

Sponsored Links
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
The thing is, after my 6.2.1.1 board ate itself on their server I went back to 6.1.0.4 and it still spawned multiple processes. I'm thinking that the Cobalt servers don't like UBB, or that they are showing an inadequecy in the UBB code that maybe other servers are more forgiving about. I know that this is never an issue with any version I test on IIS servers.

Developer
Developer
XPert,

Try just using a 'clean' UBB - no hacks, just the regular stuff for testing .. just for one day. See what happens.

qasic

Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
What does it mean when the borad tells me "Ooops, can't obtain Flock......" when trying to use the PHP Accel on a new server?

Content Queen
Content Queen
quote:
Originally posted by XPerT:
What does it mean when the borad tells me "Ooops, can't obtain Flock......" when trying to use the PHP Accel on a new server?

XPerT, I'm going to ask you a stupid question. Have you arranged to have your webhost make the PHP Accel available to you?

I had to do this with my main board, but I can't get them to do it with my test board. Thus, if I turn on the accelerator there, after a time, I get the "flock" message.

IMO, it's a host issue, not a code one.

Sue
adwoff.com
Spotlight Winner
Spotlight Winner
I have it running on my production board, but on a test board I get that error. I have a request in to the host for more information but they are slow to answer.

#104438 04/07/2002 11:15 PM
LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
quote:
Originally posted by UltimateDBZ:
I've got it figured out guys... I went back to a clean board and rehacked 1 hack at a time and ran tests after each hack installation.

As it turns out the problem is the WOL List hack that LK made for the Recent Visitors.

I posted about it in the beta topic he created. Until he figures out how to fix it I suggest you remove the hack immediately.

I am not going to figure it out, cause I don't have a UNIX system and I can't see this list anywhere. tipsy

Well fine then, be a poo smile

tipsy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849